Low Demand

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
I’m wondering if that was just that particular Apple Store employee. I returned something not too long ago and they asked why. I remember the rep keying the reason into a spot on her iPad during the process as well.

Well, maybe this particular rep was in a bad mood, or distracted or whatever.
But I would create a return process that does not allow the rep to take stuff back without asking for feedback on why?
Apparently, there is a way to enter such information somewhere (as per the experience you made) - but as an option only.
This should not be optional, to not get influenced by a reps current mood.
Also, there should be the option for the customer to give feedback in free format, not just by checking some predefined answers. I think that in my case, standard answers would not have been sufficient to describe the reasons for me returning it.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Well, maybe this particular rep was in a bad mood, or distracted or whatever.
But I would create a return process that does not allow the rep to take stuff back without asking for feedback on why?
Apparently, there is a way to enter such information somewhere (as per the experience you made) - but as an option only.
This should not be optional, to not get influenced by a reps current mood.
Also, there should be the option for the customer to give feedback in free format, not just by checking some predefined answers. I think that in my case, standard answers would not have been sufficient to describe the reasons for me returning it.

I agree but it’s somewhat of a delicate balance. One thing I like about Apple is how easygoing they are with returns and exchanges. I personally like that they’ll simply give me my money back and send me on my way rather than interrogate me as to why I’m returning their product. It doesn’t mean I’m offended if they ask me a question or two but I certainly shouldn’t be required to provide an reason as long as I’m within the return period. Still, if I were in the business of producing and selling consumer goods I would surely be interested in knowing why my customers are returning my products.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I cannot understand the logic behind releasing new iPhone models in September and then again a month or two later, especially when most of the type is for the September launch.

I’ve stated this on several occasions that Apple should return to releasing one iPhone model a year, but that’s Just Me, D...

I’m definitely in support of that. Or at least just a standard model and a Plus/Max sized model. And while you’re at it, maintain what you did with the XS and Max where the ONLY difference is the size.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I cannot understand the logic behind releasing new iPhone models in September and then again a month or two later, especially when most of the type is for the September launch.

I’ve stated this on several occasions that Apple should return to releasing one iPhone model a year, but that’s Just Me, D...

I'm pretty sure they would have preferred to release the XR in September with the others. Apparently, there were issues with the LCD screens. Oddly, it may have been software, rather than a hardware issue that caused the delay. If all that was true, then they may have had no choice but to delay the release.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I’m wondering if that was just that particular Apple Store employee. I returned something not too long ago and they asked why. I remember the rep keying the reason into a spot on her iPad during the process as well.

I'm willing to bet it was that particular employee. I've made a plethora of returns to the Apple Store over the years and I am asked why each and every time. It is part of the return process for the employee initiating the return.

Byrese

May 7, 2016
Visit site
I'll soon be moving from Android to iOS and have decided when I do it will be the XR. I know it's to each their own but I don't get it.

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Mar 20, 2017
Visit site
I'll soon be moving from Android to iOS and have decided when I do it will be the XR. I know it's to each their own but I don't get it.

I’ve always been a BlackBerry or Android guy, but I’ve used Windows and IOS products like tablets and laptops. Because of that I’ve also owned some Windows Phones and hand me down iPhones, 5 and 6, that I bought for my son when he was younger. I purchased my first new for myself iPhone, the XR, nine weeks ago. I don’t understand why people are saying low demand. I’ve met quite a few people using the XR and ironically many have come from Android devices. I do think XR is good value for the price.

Byrese

May 7, 2016
Visit site
I’ve always been a BlackBerry or Android guy, but I’ve used Windows and IOS products like tablets and laptops. Because of that I’ve also owned some Windows Phones and hand me down iPhones, 5 and 6, that I bought for my son when he was younger. I purchased my first new for myself iPhone, the XR, nine weeks ago. I don’t understand why people are saying low demand. I’ve met quite a few people using the XR and ironically many have come from Android devices. I do think XR is good value for the price.
The low demand is factual. People are keeping their excellently made older iPhone longer and Apple has admittedly slowed manufacturing of this new line of phones (particularly the XR I think but probably all if I remember the article I read recently).

But I'm with you, I do think it's excellent value for the money. Sure it's expensive at $750 but it's the cheapest of all new iPhone and high end Android phones (I'm looking at you Galaxy S and Note 9) at release or even currently. So the expensive argument I don't buy. Top spec'd phones are just expensive now. Even Oneplus use to be cheaper.

Last edited:

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
I beg to differ. Not reaching ‘projected sales’ figures doesn’t equate to not selling a lot of devices. We predict the Golden State Warriors will win a game against the Knicks by 30 points, but if they only win by 20, they still win the game.

As for its pricing models, I agree. Still, I would like them to return to selling one iPhone model per year and focus on improving its cloud services. Provide an Office 365 / Google g-suite like option.
Well, tell that to their stock price and the value they lost from the company.

But nothing to see here, all is fine...

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

The decline in stock price is not limited to Apple only. Other major companies also suffer from the same fate and that’s mainly to do with the current political climate. I don’t think Apple is really to blame regarding to their stock price.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
The lower stock prices have nothing to do with the political climate. Apple has been growing year over year and now that they’ve raised prices higher than ever....they hit a deficit. I think the lower stock prices are entirely Apple’s own doing.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
The lower stock prices have nothing to do with the political climate. Apple has been growing year over year and now that they’ve raised prices higher than ever....they hit a deficit. I think the lower stock prices are entirely Apple’s own doing.

Time will tell. I don’t agree with you, but you already know that.

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Mar 20, 2017
Visit site
Stock price are somewhat related to political climate due to current “trade war” on the left hand, while on the right hand, it’s due to other industry factors with the maturity of smartphone existence and lower demand from pricing in Asia with tariffs in China and India but again different causes....

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

This is not the first time that Apple stock prices have dropped and it won’t be the last so you’re right, nothing to see here.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
I agree but it’s somewhat of a delicate balance. One thing I like about Apple is how easygoing they are with returns and exchanges. I personally like that they’ll simply give me my money back and send me on my way rather than interrogate me as to why I’m returning their product. It doesn’t mean I’m offended if they ask me a question or two but I certainly shouldn’t be required to provide an reason as long as I’m within the return period. Still, if I were in the business of producing and selling consumer goods I would surely be interested in knowing why my customers are returning my products.

Yes the easy return policy is an excellent service that shouldn't get undermined. I think that legally, they wouldn't even have to do that - I'm in Europe, and there is a mandatory return policy for online purchases only, afaik. If you purchase in a store (like I did), they don't have to take it back, except if they voluntarily offer such a service.
However, I think it would work without annoyance for the customer, if they ask if he/she would be willing to give feedback. If no, check mark "not wanted", and all is good. If yes, ask a few questions and collect remarks in free format (if available) - and over time, gain much better insight in customer dissatisfaction.

So maybe such a process is in place already (as per experiences made by others in other Apple stores), and my rep was really in a bad mood, and therefore just klicked "not wanted", without even asking me.

Or, those other reps, who asked WHY?, were just better sales reps, and tried to figure out if there was an option to convince the customer to keep the product, or to maybe up-/cross-sell to a different product.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Stock price are somewhat related to political climate due to current “trade war” on the left hand, while on the right hand, it’s due to other industry factors with the maturity of smartphone existence and lower demand from pricing in Asia with tariffs in China and India but again different causes....

There’s also iMessage not so relevant because of WeChat and price points of phones in the growing markets.

All the new phones have been selling to work associates and my users (I’m IT admin) but that’s not the whole market.

When I see my users with 5, 6, and 7 phones use Office 365 I keep thinking Apple should do some marketing with Microsoft for a US ad campaign. I’ve seen our staff members change their opinions on phone upgrades when they see Office 365 apps on an all screen phone. They’ve gone and done the XR and XS upgrades - exactly the models supposedly not selling so well.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen