Something that surprised you with the XR?

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
What surprises me is that it's almost as good (or just as good) as the iPhone XS/iPhone XS Max. It has almost everything except the stainless steel, 4x4 MIMO (meh), OLED display (again, meh), and the zoom lens. I think the display looks just as good as the displays on the XSes. The only difference is green on the FaceTime icon on the XS looks more vibrant and the blacks look inkier. Meh.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I’m surprised it’s selling so well because so many people were convinced it was a POS before it was released (spec warriors).

I hope everyone is enjoying theirs. It looks like an awesome device.

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
The only thing I see, the camera being a small step backwards. Other than that, it looks to be a pretty solid device.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
What surprises me is that it's almost as good (or just as good) as the iPhone XS/iPhone XS Max. It has almost everything except the stainless steel, 4x4 MIMO (meh), OLED display (again, meh), and the zoom lens. I think the display looks just as good as the displays on the XSes. The only difference is green on the FaceTime icon on the XS looks more vibrant and the blacks look inkier. Meh.

I notice a difference between the LCD and OLED. Enough not to stick with the XR unfortunately. If it had the OLED I'd be all over it!

The main issue I notice for me is text. It's no where near as crisp and dark. Black text looks nice and crisp and clear on the XS. Video doesn't bother me in the slightest but the colors of the app icons are definitely more punchy on the XS.

I know this seems a little drastic but I compare it to a TV. Watching HD and then going back to standard def isn't what I want to do right now. I know that's an extreme difference in quality but that's how I feel when I look at the XR. It's by no means a bad device, but feel that in 2018 almost 2019, LCD displays are dated.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
I notice a difference between the LCD and OLED. Enough not to stick with the XR unfortunately. If it had the OLED I'd be all over it!

The main issue I notice for me is text. It's no where near as crisp and dark. Black text looks nice and crisp and clear on the XS. Video doesn't bother me in the slightest but the colors of the app icons are definitely more punchy on the XS.

I know this seems a little drastic but I compare it to a TV. Watching HD and then going back to standard def isn't what I want to do right now. I know that's an extreme difference in quality but that's how I feel when I look at the XR. It's by no means a bad device, but feel that in 2018 almost 2019, LCD displays are dated.

We all have what's important for us in our devices. I personally don't mind the LCD screen.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
Now that 12.1.1 has come out with haptic touch on lock screen notifications, I will def be getting the XR again. That was one of my big gripes since I used 3D touch on my lock screen. Nice that apple has implemented this so quickly! Shows that the XR is still capable of doing more of what it's king and queen can do.

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Now that 12.1.1 has come out with haptic touch on lock screen notifications, I will def be getting the XR again. That was one of my big gripes since I used 3D touch on my lock screen. Nice that apple has implemented this so quickly! Shows that the XR is still capable of doing more of what it's king and queen can do.

Didn't use 3D touch a whole lot, except for notifications. Nice to have haptic touch, works pretty smooth.

bgl321

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site

Getting rid of the XS? And you are ok with not having the OLED? How many XR’s are this for you?. I returned my XR as well because of no haptic touch on the lock screen. I may now reconsider the XR as well. If only they added portrait mode to everything and not just humans.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
Getting rid of the XS? And you are ok with not having the OLED? How many XR’s are this for you?. I returned my XR as well because of no haptic touch on the lock screen. I may now reconsider the XR as well. If only they added portrait mode to everything and not just humans.

Ooh wow that you returned yours too! What did you go back to?

bgl321

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Ooh wow that you returned yours too! What did you go back to?

I went back to my 7... for now . I do miss the XR. I’m waiting to see what Christmas specials are coming and then will decide on the XR or XS. I will probably go with the XS and then decide within the 14 days if I keeping it or going back to the XR.

I can’t remember. Did you keep your XR? If not what are you using now?

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
I went back to my 7... for now . I do miss the XR. I’m waiting to see what Christmas specials are coming and then will decide on the XR or XS. I will probably go with the XS and then decide within the 14 days if I keeping it or going back to the XR.

Ah okay, gotcha. Aww I get that. I think you have a great plan here.

Nope, I returned it on day 11. I decided to get a X in really good condition instead so that's what I'm using now. The size feels wonderful in comparison but I do miss things about the Xr.

bgl321

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Ah okay, gotcha. Aww I get that. I think you have a great plan here.

Nope, I returned it on day 11. I decided to get a X in really good condition instead so that's what I'm using now. The size feels wonderful in comparison but I do miss things about the Xr.

Oh yes now I remember you telling me that before. Glad you are happy with your choice. I’ll keep you posted on my progress

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site

I actually have an X, and refuse to pay $1,000 again for basically the same exact device with little enhancements that I can basically get on the XR minus the OLED display. I will definitely miss the OLED display, that is what has kept me creeping back to my X.

I really love the XR size, the camera I feel is ever better than my X even though it doesn't have the dual lens. Now that it has the haptic feedback on the lock screen I want to give it a THIRD try! Third time's a charm right????!!!

So if Apple already implemented the haptic feedback on the lock screen for notifications, I am very confident an update down the road will add portrait mode to objects. In the meantime Halide is a great third party camera app that allows for that feature. I bought the XR last night and will get back to everyone once I receive it! Haha this is wild.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site

You do know about the apple trade in special right?? They are offering I believe $250 for an iPhone 7 trade in towards an XR and free next day delivery. Would make the base model $500 which is a very good deal!

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
You do know about the apple trade in special right?? They are offering I believe $250 for an iPhone 7 trade in towards an XR and free next day delivery. Would make the base model $500 which is a very good deal!

I took advantage of Apple’s Buyback program when I got my iPhone XR with the Preorder. Apple gave me $350 for my iPhone 8, then. Now I think they are giving $300.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox