Why is the LCD screen primarily causing some people to view the iPhone XR as illegitimate? They didn’t do the same with the difference in cameras for the Plus and non-Plus iPhone models before it. With that being said, why is the excellent LCD screen turning these people off so much?
    nikkisharif likes this.
    10-29-2018 06:51 PM
    Why is the LCD screen primarily causing some people to view the iPhone XR as illegitimate? They didn’t do the same with the difference in cameras for the Plus and non-Plus iPhone models before it. With that being said, why is the excellent LCD screen turning these people off so much?
    I don't want to judge, but it seems some people are fixated on specs and have to (supposedly) have the very best. They then have to legitimize their choice by putting down others. I do not mean, in any way, that all people who choose a top phone are this way but there is no doubt some are. Why else would they care?
    Just_Me_D, libra89, ReVu30 and 6 others like this.
    10-29-2018 06:55 PM
    I prefer LCD screens usually. But I’ve had android phones that had burn in before. So far I’m enjoying the oled on my XS max but I know I’d be perfectly happy with the XR screen too.
    10-29-2018 07:07 PM
    They didn’t do the same with the difference in cameras for the Plus and non-Plus iPhone models before it.
    I did. For me, when the Plus sized iPhones where introduced, I considered all non-Plus iPhones inferior to those.
    And still, in my personal opinion, the Xs Max is the only true iPhone and the Xs and Xr are just it’s little brothers.
    I know this is entirely subjective, but so be it.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    10-29-2018 07:23 PM
    I like an above poster prefer lcd as well after seeing many Samsung and other android phones with screen burn in. I don’t have the best vision (worn glasses since 4th grade) but can definitely tell a good tv panel/phone screen for the most part. The regular sized iPhone resolution never bothered me and from looking at the xr it’s nice to me. Not spectacular or anything but is a typical good quality lcd panel to me. I’ll more than likely be getting the Xr unless places offer good deals on an older 8/8+. I’m hoping if phones like the Xr are successful than maybe the phone prices will start coming down. I would love to have the best but I refuse to pay Xs max prices for a phone. I wouldn’t enjoy it because knowing how much I paid for it would make me dislike it. If people look down on the Xr doesn’t matter to me. If they want to pay my phone bill I’ll get the biggest and the best but until then I’m buying what I want.
    Just_Me_D, TgeekB, grover5 and 2 others like this.
    10-29-2018 07:32 PM
    Just picked mine up great screen can’t see any real difference at all. All though I don’t stare at the screen to close it looks as good as the x did but I could be wrong. I like the size and the price is great for what you get I spent 799 for 128 gb good deal.
    libra89, TgeekB, Just_Me_D and 6 others like this.
    10-29-2018 07:45 PM
    I don't want to judge, but it seems some people are fixated on specs and have to (supposedly) have the very best. They then have to legitimize their choice by putting down others. I do not mean, in any way, that all people who choose a top phone are this way but there is no doubt some are. Why else would they care?
    Well said.

It's been silly to hear and read all of the slamming of the Xr. If it was smaller, I would like to try one myself.
    TgeekB, Just_Me_D, grover5 and 3 others like this.
    10-29-2018 08:14 PM
    I wouldn’t say I slam it, but objectively speaking the 1080p HDR OLED is a better screen than the 828p LCD. I watch a lot of video on my phone, the 1080p HDR is great for that. In normal circumstances you won’t see much difference, it’s mostly in whites, blacks, photos, and videos. That and I don’t like seeing the LCD backlight on the edges of the screen.
    Just_Me_D and kataran like this.
    10-29-2018 08:27 PM
    People are focused on paper. I tell everyone who says anything me directly about my red xr. I love my XR the beauty part about it is it’s my phone you don’t like it stop looking at it. I love it. I get features of x models at lower cost fits my budget. And by choosing product red som3 of my money I know not all is going to good cause. The XS models did not offer this.
    10-29-2018 09:20 PM
    Probably going to be Apples best selling phone this year. For the price and what features you get you can do wrong is this is the reason that made the device they know what they are doing.
    10-30-2018 06:11 AM
    I did. For me, when the Plus sized iPhones where introduced, I considered all non-Plus iPhones inferior to those.
    And still, in my personal opinion, the Xs Max is the only true iPhone and the Xs and Xr are just it’s little brothers.
    I know this is entirely subjective, but so be it.
    Not only subjective, but pretty absurd. Do you know how many products in the world come in trims and sub-models? To deem one “illegitimate” because it doesn’t have the specs you chose is... wow... and screams entitlement. I have an Xs because at this form factor with this screen size, it is the absolute best option for daily use in a business environment. I probably do more on my phone in an hour than you do in a day, so it looks like little brother schools big brother.

I wouldn’t say I slam it, but objectively speaking the 1080p HDR OLED is a better screen than the 828p LCD. I watch a lot of video on my phone, the 1080p HDR is great for that. In normal circumstances you won’t see much difference, it’s mostly in whites, blacks, photos, and videos. That and I don’t like seeing the LCD backlight on the edges of the screen.
    I agree with this. Definitely a better screen. There is no doubt it’s a higher spec’d phone. But to attack someone’s purchase choice by calling it “illegitimate” or to call your device of choice “the only true iPhone” like some members have is crazy to me.
    10-30-2018 08:12 AM
    I don't view the XR as an illegitimate iPhone. I think it's a good device, but I do find it interesting that XR owners say that the XR iPhone is as good or equal to the top end iPhones.
    10-30-2018 09:39 AM
    The big thing to keep in mind is that we all have different needs. What works for one person doesn’t necessarily work for anyone else. That’s why there are so many options out there. While I like the screen on the XS, I didn’t like the battery life or how difficult it was to swipe down from the top of the screen or up from the bottom with the case I like to use on my phones. For me, the better battery life and bigger bezels (I know, nobody else sees them as a plus) made the XR the best choice for me, a person who normally only buys the most expensive option because it MUST be the best. In this case, that wasn’t true.
    Just_Me_D, libra89 and nikkisharif like this.
    10-30-2018 09:40 AM
    I don't view the XR as an illegitimate iPhone. I think it's a good device, but I do find it interesting that XR owners say that the XR iPhone is as good or equal to the top end iPhones.
    With the exception of the camera and OLED screen, will it not perform like the other models. People love to complain about battery life and numerous tests thus far shows the battery life of the XR to be better than the other iPhone models. Unless you want the OLED screen and a few more photography options, where's the advantage of getting an XS or XS Max. I'm ignoring the size options.
    Last edited by Just_Me_D; 11-01-2018 at 08:09 PM.
    10-30-2018 09:55 AM
    I don’t think it’s apple users that are doing most of the complaining....I believe that’s coming from android users.

Most apple users are upgrading to the Xr,Xs/Xs Max, or 8. Those users don’t post much in the forums.

I have said it before and I will say it again, I believe the iPhone Xr is meant for price conscious midrange android users to switch to the iPhone....it seems to be working.
    Just_Me_D and SABRIAN70 like this.
    10-30-2018 10:00 AM
    I don’t think it’s apple users that are doing most of the complaining....I believe that’s coming from android users.

Most apple users are upgrading to the Xr,Xs/Xs Max, or 8. Those users don’t post much in the forums.

I have said it before and I will say it again, I believe the iPhone Xr is meant for price conscious midrange android users to switch to the iPhone....it seems to be working.
    In my opinion, the iPhone XR is intended for consumers who want a new quality-built and well-spec'd iPhone without paying a grand for it.

The situation with the iPhone XR reminds me of how people used to view the 16 GB model iPhone as the "cheap model" even though the ONLY difference between the models was the amount of storage. People went out and spent hundreds more just to be able to say they "bought the most expensive model" when all they really bought was additional storage space. Know what I mean?
    10-30-2018 10:11 AM
    The big thing to keep in mind is that we all have different needs. What works for one person doesn’t necessarily work for anyone else. That’s why there are so many options out there. While I like the screen on the XS, I didn’t like the battery life or how difficult it was to swipe down from the top of the screen or up from the bottom with the case I like to use on my phones. For me, the better battery life and bigger bezels (I know, nobody else sees them as a plus) made the XR the best choice for me, a person who normally only buys the most expensive option because it MUST be the best. In this case, that wasn’t true.
    I think you make great points. It is really a hard decision on which device to choose given the pros and cons of each. I have an X and bought an XR to try. I'm a techie and always have the BEST. I always thought the biggest was the best, until the Max came out. The only two things it has over the Xs is screen size and marginally better battery life. The screen and size of the phone is just way too large for me and I feel the XS is a little crammed. So, the XR size for me is outstanding! But, it doesn't have that OLED screen. So the pluses and minuses if each create a hard decision for me. What is more important to me? Also, dual lens vs no dual lens. No 3D touch. These are all things I need to decide if I want to give up. Is the XR and upgrade from the X??? In some ways yes it is, in some no it isn't.
    10-30-2018 10:21 AM
    Not only subjective, but pretty absurd. Do you know how many products in the world come in trims and sub-models? To deem one “illegitimate” because it doesn’t have the specs you chose is... wow... and screams entitlement. I have an Xs because at this form factor with this screen size, it is the absolute best option for daily use in a business environment. I probably do more on my phone in an hour than you do in a day, so it looks like little brother schools big brother.
    What school? Whose brother? And why am I supposed to know about products, sub-products, trimmings and such?

I shared my view. I never stated anywhere what I do with what device, nor do I have any intention to.

And I never said other iPhones weren’t capable.
    Just_Me_D and tadpoles like this.
    10-30-2018 10:38 AM
    Everything is a trade off. I don’t take many pictures so the second lens doesn’t matter to me, but for a lot of people it’s one of the most important things. How are people going to respond when Samsung institutes their policy of introducing new feature on their midrange phones instead of on their flagships? Everyone just needs to weigh the pros and cons and figure out what checks the most boxes when it comes to their needs. It doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks about your phone, just that it works for you.
    Just_Me_D, libra89 and nikkisharif like this.
    10-30-2018 10:53 AM
    Because some people just need to label everything.

Those same people probably just want to watch the world burn.
    libra89, Tartarus and nikkisharif like this.
    10-30-2018 11:01 AM
    With the exception of the camera and OLED screen, will it not perform like the other models. People love to complain about battery life and numerous tests thus far shows the battery life of the XR be better than the other iPhone models. Unless you want the OLED screen and a few more photography options, where's the advantage of getting an XS or XS Max. I'm ignoring the size options.
    I would think in some ways with the Xr having the same processor (even with 1 gig less ram) that it may run better in the long run being that it is pushing less pixels than the Xs and Xs max. It probably won’t but I believe if it was equally spec’d ram wise it would be faster as newer IOS versions came out. Probably why Apple didn’t make it equal ram. I think the different would be even bigger if the Xs and Xs max were 2k screens instead of 1080p I’m sure the HDR in the 1080p takes some extra processing power too. I think it’s a little under spec’d than the top of the line because they didn’t want it to shine as much as the “top tier” kinda like how GM cancelled the GNX in the 80s because it was faster than their golden child corvette.
    Edit: my theory of this comes from the battery life being so much better even though it has a bigger screen than the Xs. It has to be less taxing on the processor to run less pixels or the battery life wouldn’t show it. Less taxing now “should” equate to less taxing in future iOS iterations. At least I hope lol. We have yet to have the X or Xs long enough to know how long the screens will go before burn in starts happening so we may never find out. Screen burn in won’t be an issue for the Xr so that and the price are the main factors as why I want it over the Xs/Xs max
    Just_Me_D and phlamethrowre like this.
    10-30-2018 11:19 AM
    I like both Android and iOS and this phone is perfect for my purposes. I didn't necessarily want to spend 1000+ for the Xs and Xs Max and I already have a Note 9. Coupled with the T-Mobile deal, it was a no-brainer for me as I didn't expect to get as much for my old 7 Plus.
    libra89 and nikkisharif like this.
    10-30-2018 12:22 PM
    What school? Whose brother? And why am I supposed to know about products, sub-products, trimmings and such?

I shared my view. I never stated anywhere what I do with what device, nor do I have any intention to.

And I never said other iPhones weren’t capable.
    You can’t even follow your own argument two posts deep lol. Okay bud.

The Xr is a fine device and will be the best selling device.
    10-30-2018 12:25 PM
    In my opinion, the iPhone XR is intended for consumers who want a new quality-built and well-spec'd iPhone without paying a grand for it.

The situation with the iPhone XR reminds me of how people used to view the 16 GB model iPhone as the "cheap model" even though the ONLY difference between the models was the amount of storage. People went out and spent hundreds more just to be able to say they "bought the most expensive model" when all they really bought was additional storage space. Know what I mean?
    I know exactly what your trying to convey.

I wouldn’t call it a cheap iPhone either.
    The xr still has Face ID, nvme storage, 7nm soc with an 8core npu, 4K @60 fps, true edge to edge flat display without a forehead and chin, Dolby vision capable, and one of the best dual speakers on a phone . The Xr’s hardware still outclasses any 2018 android flagship phone, it costs less to boot and comes in a myriad of colors. Maybe android oems can catch up in 2019, but I highly doubt it.

The lcd display, lack of 3D Touch, and single camera module is inconsequential to 99% of consumers. Most only care about the edge to edge display, Animoji’s, and the pretty colors. There will be a wave of android users switching to apple due to the Xr as well as the Xs/Xs Max in the coming months...just by looking in the forums it has already begun.
    libra89, Just_Me_D and Ledsteplin like this.
    10-30-2018 12:27 PM
    I like both Android and iOS and this phone is perfect for my purposes. I didn't necessarily want to spend 1000+ for the Xs and Xs Max and I already have a Note 9. Coupled with the T-Mobile deal, it was a no-brainer for me as I didn't expect to get as much for my old 7 Plus.
    Ooh that's a nice combo to have! What color did you get for your Xr?
    10-30-2018 12:32 PM
176 123 ...