Why are some people viewing the iPhone XR as an illegitimate iPhone?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Why is the LCD screen primarily causing some people to view the iPhone XR as illegitimate? They didn’t do the same with the difference in cameras for the Plus and non-Plus iPhone models before it. With that being said, why is the excellent LCD screen turning these people off so much?

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Why is the LCD screen primarily causing some people to view the iPhone XR as illegitimate? They didn’t do the same with the difference in cameras for the Plus and non-Plus iPhone models before it. With that being said, why is the excellent LCD screen turning these people off so much?

I don't want to judge, but it seems some people are fixated on specs and have to (supposedly) have the very best. They then have to legitimize their choice by putting down others. I do not mean, in any way, that all people who choose a top phone are this way but there is no doubt some are. Why else would they care?

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I prefer LCD screens usually. But I’ve had android phones that had burn in before. So far I’m enjoying the oled on my XS max but I know I’d be perfectly happy with the XR screen too.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
They didn’t do the same with the difference in cameras for the Plus and non-Plus iPhone models before it.

I did. For me, when the Plus sized iPhones where introduced, I considered all non-Plus iPhones inferior to those.
And still, in my personal opinion, the Xs Max is the only true iPhone and the Xs and Xr are just it’s little brothers.
I know this is entirely subjective, but so be it.

Tpence2177

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I like an above poster prefer lcd as well after seeing many Samsung and other android phones with screen burn in. I don’t have the best vision (worn glasses since 4th grade) but can definitely tell a good tv panel/phone screen for the most part. The regular sized iPhone resolution never bothered me and from looking at the xr it’s nice to me. Not spectacular or anything but is a typical good quality lcd panel to me. I’ll more than likely be getting the Xr unless places offer good deals on an older 8/8+. I’m hoping if phones like the Xr are successful than maybe the phone prices will start coming down. I would love to have the best but I refuse to pay Xs max prices for a phone. I wouldn’t enjoy it because knowing how much I paid for it would make me dislike it. If people look down on the Xr doesn’t matter to me. If they want to pay my phone bill I’ll get the biggest and the best but until then I’m buying what I want.

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Just picked mine up great screen can’t see any real difference at all. All though I don’t stare at the screen to close it looks as good as the x did but I could be wrong. I like the size and the price is great for what you get I spent 799 for 128 gb good deal.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
I don't want to judge, but it seems some people are fixated on specs and have to (supposedly) have the very best. They then have to legitimize their choice by putting down others. I do not mean, in any way, that all people who choose a top phone are this way but there is no doubt some are. Why else would they care?

Well said.

It's been silly to hear and read all of the slamming of the Xr. If it was smaller, I would like to try one myself.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn’t say I slam it, but objectively speaking the 1080p HDR OLED is a better screen than the 828p LCD. I watch a lot of video on my phone, the 1080p HDR is great for that. In normal circumstances you won’t see much difference, it’s mostly in whites, blacks, photos, and videos. That and I don’t like seeing the LCD backlight on the edges of the screen.

Shawn Schrader

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

People are focused on paper. I tell everyone who says anything me directly about my red xr. I love my XR the beauty part about it is it’s my phone you don’t like it stop looking at it. I love it. I get features of x models at lower cost fits my budget. And by choosing product red som3 of my money I know not all is going to good cause. The XS models did not offer this.

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Probably going to be Apples best selling phone this year. For the price and what features you get you can do wrong is this is the reason that made the device they know what they are doing.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
I did. For me, when the Plus sized iPhones where introduced, I considered all non-Plus iPhones inferior to those.
And still, in my personal opinion, the Xs Max is the only true iPhone and the Xs and Xr are just it’s little brothers.
I know this is entirely subjective, but so be it.

Not only subjective, but pretty absurd. Do you know how many products in the world come in trims and sub-models? To deem one “illegitimate” because it doesn’t have the specs you chose is... wow... and screams entitlement. I have an Xs because at this form factor with this screen size, it is the absolute best option for daily use in a business environment. I probably do more on my phone in an hour than you do in a day, so it looks like little brother schools big brother.

I wouldn’t say I slam it, but objectively speaking the 1080p HDR OLED is a better screen than the 828p LCD. I watch a lot of video on my phone, the 1080p HDR is great for that. In normal circumstances you won’t see much difference, it’s mostly in whites, blacks, photos, and videos. That and I don’t like seeing the LCD backlight on the edges of the screen.

I agree with this. Definitely a better screen. There is no doubt it’s a higher spec’d phone. But to attack someone’s purchase choice by calling it “illegitimate” or to call your device of choice “the only true iPhone” like some members have is crazy to me.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I don't view the XR as an illegitimate iPhone. I think it's a good device, but I do find it interesting that XR owners say that the XR iPhone is as good or equal to the top end iPhones.

spiff_p239

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
The big thing to keep in mind is that we all have different needs. What works for one person doesn’t necessarily work for anyone else. That’s why there are so many options out there. While I like the screen on the XS, I didn’t like the battery life or how difficult it was to swipe down from the top of the screen or up from the bottom with the case I like to use on my phones. For me, the better battery life and bigger bezels (I know, nobody else sees them as a plus) made the XR the best choice for me, a person who normally only buys the most expensive option because it MUST be the best. In this case, that wasn’t true.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't view the XR as an illegitimate iPhone. I think it's a good device, but I do find it interesting that XR owners say that the XR iPhone is as good or equal to the top end iPhones.
With the exception of the camera and OLED screen, will it not perform like the other models. People love to complain about battery life and numerous tests thus far shows the battery life of the XR to be better than the other iPhone models. Unless you want the OLED screen and a few more photography options, where's the advantage of getting an XS or XS Max. I'm ignoring the size options.

Last edited:

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

I don’t think it’s apple users that are doing most of the complaining....I believe that’s coming from android users.

Most apple users are upgrading to the Xr,Xs/Xs Max, or 8. Those users don’t post much in the forums.

I have said it before and I will say it again, I believe the iPhone Xr is meant for price conscious midrange android users to switch to the iPhone....it seems to be working.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don’t think it’s apple users that are doing most of the complaining....I believe that’s coming from android users.

Most apple users are upgrading to the Xr,Xs/Xs Max, or 8. Those users don’t post much in the forums.

I have said it before and I will say it again, I believe the iPhone Xr is meant for price conscious midrange android users to switch to the iPhone....it seems to be working.

In my opinion, the iPhone XR is intended for consumers who want a new quality-built and well-spec'd iPhone without paying a grand for it.

The situation with the iPhone XR reminds me of how people used to view the 16 GB model iPhone as the "cheap model" even though the ONLY difference between the models was the amount of storage. People went out and spent hundreds more just to be able to say they "bought the most expensive model" when all they really bought was additional storage space. Know what I mean?

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
The big thing to keep in mind is that we all have different needs. What works for one person doesn’t necessarily work for anyone else. That’s why there are so many options out there. While I like the screen on the XS, I didn’t like the battery life or how difficult it was to swipe down from the top of the screen or up from the bottom with the case I like to use on my phones. For me, the better battery life and bigger bezels (I know, nobody else sees them as a plus) made the XR the best choice for me, a person who normally only buys the most expensive option because it MUST be the best. In this case, that wasn’t true.

I think you make great points. It is really a hard decision on which device to choose given the pros and cons of each. I have an X and bought an XR to try. I'm a techie and always have the BEST. I always thought the biggest was the best, until the Max came out. The only two things it has over the Xs is screen size and marginally better battery life. The screen and size of the phone is just way too large for me and I feel the XS is a little crammed. So, the XR size for me is outstanding! But, it doesn't have that OLED screen. So the pluses and minuses if each create a hard decision for me. What is more important to me? Also, dual lens vs no dual lens. No 3D touch. These are all things I need to decide if I want to give up. Is the XR and upgrade from the X??? In some ways yes it is, in some no it isn't.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Not only subjective, but pretty absurd. Do you know how many products in the world come in trims and sub-models? To deem one “illegitimate” because it doesn’t have the specs you chose is... wow... and screams entitlement. I have an Xs because at this form factor with this screen size, it is the absolute best option for daily use in a business environment. I probably do more on my phone in an hour than you do in a day, so it looks like little brother schools big brother.

What school? Whose brother? And why am I supposed to know about products, sub-products, trimmings and such?

I shared my view. I never stated anywhere what I do with what device, nor do I have any intention to.

And I never said other iPhones weren’t capable.

spiff_p239

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Everything is a trade off. I don’t take many pictures so the second lens doesn’t matter to me, but for a lot of people it’s one of the most important things. How are people going to respond when Samsung institutes their policy of introducing new feature on their midrange phones instead of on their flagships? Everyone just needs to weigh the pros and cons and figure out what checks the most boxes when it comes to their needs. It doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks about your phone, just that it works for you.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Because some people just need to label everything.

Those same people probably just want to watch the world burn.