Why are some people viewing the iPhone XR as an illegitimate iPhone?

Tpence2177

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Great device and screen don’t really see any difference from the so called better ones just a better price!

Same here. I’ve compared them both in different apps several times side by side and I don’t see the terrible screen that some people are talking about. I have been wearing glasses for over 20 years now though so I don’t have the best eye sight. Oh well works for me cause I get to save money and not care that I don’t have the best screen. I usually can tell but Apple did a good job on the Liquid Retina from what I can see. Must be good since the new iPad pros will have Liquid Retina displays as well and everyone seems to be fine with that.

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
I looked at the XR and XS side by side today and there is a big difference. I wear progressive eyeglasses so when look at something up close through the bottom of the lenses it is very very clear. Probably better than most people who don’t wear glasses. The difference is clearly visible. That said, most people won’t notice it because our eyes aren’t as good as we think they are.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I looked at the XR and XS side by side today and there is a big difference. I wear progressive eyeglasses so when look at something up close through the bottom of the lenses it is very very clear. Probably better than most people who don’t wear glasses. The difference is clearly visible. That said, most people won’t notice it because our eyes aren’t as good as we think they are.

Are you referring to the displays?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
To achieve the same ppi means having to add pixels. If the same number of pixels was used between both displays then the XR would have a lower ppi. So they have the same ppi and therefore the same resolution.
Having the same PPI on a bigger screen actually makes the bigger screen inferior to the smaller screen.

Tpence2177

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
To achieve the same ppi means having to add pixels. If the same number of pixels was used between both displays then the XR would have a lower ppi. So they have the same ppi and therefore the same resolution.

Exactly that’s why the 8 was 720p and the Xr is a weird 800-900p. Can’t remember off the top of my head.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Exactly that’s why the 8 was 720p and the Xr is a weird 800-900p. Can’t remember off the top of my head.

They’re all something like 828p. Even the 8. That’s why apps like YouTube let you select 1080p, it scales it down to the screens full resolution, but it’s still higher quality than 720p.

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
They’re all something like 828p. Even the 8. That’s why apps like YouTube let you select 1080p, it scales it down to the screens full resolution, but it’s still higher quality than 720p.

“They’re all”?? Only 2 recent iPhones have 326ppi. The 8 and XR. The 8+ has 401ppi and its screen is noticeably better than the 8. If Apple had used a 401ppi screen in the XR this entire screen debate would’ve been avoided.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
“They’re all”?? Only 2 recent iPhones have 326ppi. The 8 and XR. The 8+ has 401ppi and its screen is noticeably better than the 8. If Apple had used a 401ppi screen in the XR this entire screen debate would’ve been avoided.

I wonder how many people notice the difference between the 401ppi vs the 326ppi in a way that it would affect their purchasing decision. I also wonder if the lower ppi screen was a significant cost saver for Apple. ?? Some in the market for the Xr will prolly gladly choose it’s different specs versus the higher costs alternatives but I’ve read that the Xr screen is quite good to the eye.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Last edited:

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I wonder how many that have an Xr have complaints about the screen quality. It may be different on paper than the other X phones but from what I’ve seen folks love it. If my Max had a 326ppi display I doubt I’d enjoy the device any less. In fact, with an LCD display like the Xr wouldn’t there be less chance, at least theoretically, of screen burn-in?

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
I wonder how many that have an Xr have complaints about the screen quality. It may be different on paper than the other X phones but from what I’ve seen folks love it. If my Max had a 326ppi display I doubt I’d enjoy the device any less. In fact, with an LCD display like the Xr wouldn’t there be less chance, at least theoretically, of screen burn-in?

Having both the X and and XR, I notice a difference coming from the X. I think the display looks amazing for an lcd display though. What I noticed is the blacks aren’t as black and when tilting the XR the screen dims a lot. When you tilt an OLED screen it maintains the same brightness. I am still trying to decide if I am keeping the XR, leaning towards just keeping my X for many reasons although I love the screen size of the XR.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site

I have the XR and had the chance to compare in person against the X, and XS Max at one of the local Targets. The XS Max, to me looked fake and artificial with crispness and shadows, too bright and hard on my eyes. My XR looked smooth and natural and easier on my eyes. Just my opinion.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I have the XR and had the chance to compare in person against the X, and XS Max at one of the local Targets. The XS Max, to me looked fake and artificial with crispness and shadows, too bright. My XR looked smooth an natural. Just my opinion.

Very interesting. I’ve never noticed my XS M display looking fake to me. Just the opposite, in fact. I really must see an Xr this week.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh