My upgrade from my iPhone 7 is coming up and I don’t know what model to get next. The Xr really intrigues me, but so does the Xs. The only problem is that I have a 128gb 7, so naturally my thought is to go with the r over the s due to it being cheaper. Anyone else out there on the fence with which phone to get?
    10-23-2018 10:32 PM
    I went with the XS Max but I must say, from all the things I’m reading and videos I’m watching, the XR looks like it’s going to be a nice alternative.

This all depends on if you’re willing to give up the dual camera, 3D Touch and OLED screen. I think I could live without those 3 and save a few bucks.
    10-24-2018 01:54 AM
    I also decided to go with the XS MAX, but the Xr does seem like a good alternative for a larger screen iPhone.
    ReVu30 likes this.
    10-24-2018 07:18 AM
    Either way your gonna get a great device
    10-24-2018 10:21 AM
    I would need to see the XS Max and XR side by side to compare the screens before I could choose if I were on the fence.
    porier91 likes this.
    10-24-2018 10:56 AM
    From what I hear, the XR screen has the same pixel density and resolution as the 6/6S/7/8 iPhones. So you know what the screen would look like, but you would also get 1.4” more screen real estate. Yes, the XR also lacks 3D Touch, TouchID, and dual cameras (but the 7 also only has one camera). You would also gain the A12 Bionic chip, portrait mode, Animoji/Memoji, FaceID, a better screen to body ratio, and those fun things.

However, a XS or XS Max will have those benefits with an even better screen to body ratio, dual cameras, 3D Touch, and a better screen. I’d have to watch the videos again to see all the differences, but I think those are the biggest ones.
    Annie_8plus and porier91 like this.
    10-24-2018 11:53 AM
    The numbers don’t always tell the whole story. I would want to see the difference between the screens with my own eyes. That is what really matters.
    porier91 likes this.
    10-24-2018 12:17 PM
    The numbers don’t always tell the whole story. I would want to see the difference between the screens with my own eyes. That is what really matters.
    Well the OLED screen has a larger pixel density which means higher resolution, and it has HDR. It is objectively better.
    10-24-2018 01:35 PM
    Well the OLED screen has a larger pixel density which means higher resolution, and it has HDR. It is objectively better.
    I don’t disagree. I have the Xs Max.

Last year I chose the 8+ over the X, even though the X screen was supposed to e better, because I typically prefer LCD over LED.
    10-24-2018 02:38 PM
    Only reason I still prefer lcd over OLED is because I keep my phone for a long time. Don’t want to have to worry about screen burn in being the reason I have to get rid of a perfectly good phone. Still using a 6 plus right now and only upgrades I’m interested in are the 8/8+ or the XR because of the LCD screens.
    10-24-2018 07:30 PM
    Only reason I still prefer lcd over OLED is because I keep my phone for a long time. Don’t want to have to worry about screen burn in being the reason I have to get rid of a perfectly good phone. Still using a 6 plus right now and only upgrades I’m interested in are the 8/8+ or the XR because of the LCD screens.
    I like the whiter whites.
    10-24-2018 08:28 PM
    I went with the XS Max but I must say, from all the things I’m reading and videos I’m watching, the XR looks like it’s going to be a nice alternative.

This all depends on if you’re willing to give up the dual camera, 3D Touch and OLED screen. I think I could live without those 3 and save a few bucks.
    Yup , I ruled out those 3 things and went with the Xr. Funny thing was ,til I checked both those phones out. I was going to get the Xs Max
    mumfoau and libra89 like this.
    11-04-2018 05:43 PM
    Yup , I ruled out those 3 things and went with the Xr. Funny thing was ,til I checked both those phones out. I was going to get the Xs Max
    I'm glad that you were able to make the best choice for you. I can relate in ruling out the 3 things. I'm indifferent about the dual cameras as phones like the Pixel series are still solid with just one.
    davidnc likes this.
    11-04-2018 06:43 PM
    Only reason I still prefer lcd over OLED is because I keep my phone for a long time. Don’t want to have to worry about screen burn in being the reason I have to get rid of a perfectly good phone.
    It's been a year now if that was a problem it would be all over every forum.
    11-04-2018 09:54 PM
    It's been a year now if that was a problem it would be all over every forum.
    As far as I know every OLED has issues with screen burn in eventually. It’s a characteristic of the technology. I did google it and from what I found from testing that the X/Xs/Xs max do take longer to have burn in than Samsung, but it still happens. When I keep a phone 4-5 years (current phone is a 6 plus) that’s a big deal to me. Y’all upgrade every year so it won’t affect y’all at that refresh cycle. It has a good chance of affecting me at my refresh cycle.
    Actually just did a quick google again and found people on reddit saying they see a slight burn in with the home bar on their screens. That was back in the summer. So it does happen. Just doesn’t get talked about on here.
    Last edited by Tpence2177; 11-04-2018 at 10:15 PM.
    11-04-2018 09:58 PM
    As far as I know every OLED has issues with screen burn in eventually. It’s a characteristic of the technology. I did google it and from what I found from testing that the X/Xs/Xs max do take longer to have burn in than Samsung, but it still happens. When I keep a phone 4-5 years (current phone is a 6 plus) that’s a big deal to me. Y’all upgrade every year so it won’t affect y’all at that refresh cycle. It has a good chance of affecting me at my refresh cycle.
    Actually just did a quick google again and found people on reddit saying they see a slight burn in with the home bar on their screens. That was back in the summer. So it does happen. Just doesn’t get talked about on here.
    So you leave your phone on full brightness day after day
    11-04-2018 10:17 PM
    So you leave your phone on full brightness day after day
    I let it go on auto. Glad you like your Xs max. My reasons for wanting the Xr, are mine. Not yours.
    11-04-2018 10:18 PM
    I let it go on auto. Glad you like your Xs max. My reasons for wanting the Xr, are mine. Not yours.
    Funny, from the forums i visit the only people bringing up screen burn with 0 evidence that x/xs/max have had, it are those that bought the XR, strange.
    11-04-2018 10:25 PM
    Funny, from the forums i visit the only people bringing up screen burn with 0 evidence that x/xs/max have had, it are those that bought the XR, strange.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comme...ience_burn_in/

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018...-x-test-shows/
    Like I said in a previous post takes longer, but happens. Any OLED will burn in with time since all the pixels are individually lit the screens brightness will change with time. You can rationalize your $1200-1500 phone all you want but so far no company has had a permanent fix for screen burn in and most companies don’t warranty it. A quick 30 second google found that. If you want more info, find it yourself.
    11-04-2018 10:30 PM
    https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comme...ience_burn_in/

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018...-x-test-shows/
    Like I said in a previous post takes longer, but happens. Any OLED will burn in with time since all the pixels are individually lit the screens brightness will change with time. You can rationalize your $1200-1500 phone all you want but so far no company has had a permanent fix for screen burn in and most companies don’t warranty it. A quick 30 second google found that. If you want more info, find it yourself.
    Did you actually read the edit thread 99% said no or just google than copy and paste, not 1 photo or actual evidence in it. You the person that started the thread on macrumours? To justify your XR purchase?
    11-04-2018 10:43 PM
    Did you actually read the edit thread 99% said no or just google than copy and paste, not 1 photo or actual evidence in it. You the person that started the thread on macrumours? To justify your XR purchase?
    Not a member on macrumors I read the reddit thread. Did you?
    11-04-2018 10:43 PM
    Not a member on macrumors I read the reddit thread. Did you?
    Yes, no one provided photo evidence. From normal use that is.
    11-04-2018 10:45 PM
    Yes, no one provided photo evidence.
    There is a photo in the very first post that you can clearly see it. Anywho. I’m not arguing with you over why I want an Xr and really don’t care why it bothers you so much that I care about screen burn in. Have a nice night, or I guess day for you.
    11-04-2018 10:47 PM
    There is a photo in the very first post that you can clearly see it. Anywho. I’m not arguing with you over why I want an Xr and really don’t care why it bothers you so much that I care about screen burn in. Have a nice night, or I guess day for you.
    Like i said if it was a problem a year on it would be all over the web//news, and more than 1 photo on reddit lol. Same to you.
    11-04-2018 10:57 PM
    I went with the XR and not looking back great screen and camera no complaints at all and I am a heavy user. I has the other two XS and max and really don’t see anything major between the two except price.
    bgl321, libra89 and metalchick719 like this.
    11-05-2018 08:18 AM
27 12