Upgrading Soon...but to what?

porier91

May 23, 2017
Visit site
My upgrade from my iPhone 7 is coming up and I don’t know what model to get next. The Xr really intrigues me, but so does the Xs. The only problem is that I have a 128gb 7, so naturally my thought is to go with the r over the s due to it being cheaper. Anyone else out there on the fence with which phone to get?

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I went with the XS Max but I must say, from all the things I’m reading and videos I’m watching, the XR looks like it’s going to be a nice alternative.

This all depends on if you’re willing to give up the dual camera, 3D Touch and OLED screen. I think I could live without those 3 and save a few bucks.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I also decided to go with the XS MAX, but the Xr does seem like a good alternative for a larger screen iPhone.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
From what I hear, the XR screen has the same pixel density and resolution as the 6/6S/7/8 iPhones. So you know what the screen would look like, but you would also get 1.4” more screen real estate. Yes, the XR also lacks 3D Touch, TouchID, and dual cameras (but the 7 also only has one camera). You would also gain the A12 Bionic chip, portrait mode, Animoji/Memoji, FaceID, a better screen to body ratio, and those fun things.

However, a XS or XS Max will have those benefits with an even better screen to body ratio, dual cameras, 3D Touch, and a better screen. I’d have to watch the videos again to see all the differences, but I think those are the biggest ones.

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
The numbers don’t always tell the whole story. I would want to see the difference between the screens with my own eyes. That is what really matters.

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
Well the OLED screen has a larger pixel density which means higher resolution, and it has HDR. It is objectively better.

I don’t disagree. I have the Xs Max.

Last year I chose the 8+ over the X, even though the X screen was supposed to e better, because I typically prefer LCD over LED.

Tpence2177

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Only reason I still prefer lcd over OLED is because I keep my phone for a long time. Don’t want to have to worry about screen burn in being the reason I have to get rid of a perfectly good phone. Still using a 6 plus right now and only upgrades I’m interested in are the 8/8+ or the XR because of the LCD screens.

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
Only reason I still prefer lcd over OLED is because I keep my phone for a long time. Don’t want to have to worry about screen burn in being the reason I have to get rid of a perfectly good phone. Still using a 6 plus right now and only upgrades I’m interested in are the 8/8+ or the XR because of the LCD screens.

I like the whiter whites.

davidnc

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
I went with the XS Max but I must say, from all the things I’m reading and videos I’m watching, the XR looks like it’s going to be a nice alternative.

This all depends on if you’re willing to give up the dual camera, 3D Touch and OLED screen. I think I could live without those 3 and save a few bucks.

Yup , I ruled out those 3 things and went with the Xr. Funny thing was ,til I checked both those phones out. I was going to get the Xs Max

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
Yup , I ruled out those 3 things and went with the Xr. Funny thing was ,til I checked both those phones out. I was going to get the Xs Max

I'm glad that you were able to make the best choice for you. I can relate in ruling out the 3 things. I'm indifferent about the dual cameras as phones like the Pixel series are still solid with just one.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
Only reason I still prefer lcd over OLED is because I keep my phone for a long time. Don’t want to have to worry about screen burn in being the reason I have to get rid of a perfectly good phone.

It's been a year now if that was a problem it would be all over every forum.

Tpence2177

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
It's been a year now if that was a problem it would be all over every forum.

As far as I know every OLED has issues with screen burn in eventually. It’s a characteristic of the technology. I did google it and from what I found from testing that the X/Xs/Xs max do take longer to have burn in than Samsung, but it still happens. When I keep a phone 4-5 years (current phone is a 6 plus) that’s a big deal to me. Y’all upgrade every year so it won’t affect y’all at that refresh cycle. It has a good chance of affecting me at my refresh cycle.
Actually just did a quick google again and found people on reddit saying they see a slight burn in with the home bar on their screens. That was back in the summer. So it does happen. Just doesn’t get talked about on here.

Last edited:

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
As far as I know every OLED has issues with screen burn in eventually. It’s a characteristic of the technology. I did google it and from what I found from testing that the X/Xs/Xs max do take longer to have burn in than Samsung, but it still happens. When I keep a phone 4-5 years (current phone is a 6 plus) that’s a big deal to me. Y’all upgrade every year so it won’t affect y’all at that refresh cycle. It has a good chance of affecting me at my refresh cycle.
Actually just did a quick google again and found people on reddit saying they see a slight burn in with the home bar on their screens. That was back in the summer. So it does happen. Just doesn’t get talked about on here.

So you leave your phone on full brightness day after day ;)

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
I let it go on auto. Glad you like your Xs max. My reasons for wanting the Xr, are mine. Not yours.

Funny, from the forums i visit the only people bringing up screen burn with 0 evidence that x/xs/max have had, it are those that bought the XR, strange.

Tpence2177

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Funny, from the forums i visit the only people bringing up screen burn with 0 evidence that x/xs/max have had, it are those that bought the XR, strange.

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/932h4r/any_iphone_x_users_experience_burn_in/

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...-image-to-burn-in-on-the-iphone-x-test-shows/
Like I said in a previous post takes longer, but happens. Any OLED will burn in with time since all the pixels are individually lit the screens brightness will change with time. You can rationalize your $1200-1500 phone all you want but so far no company has had a permanent fix for screen burn in and most companies don’t warranty it. A quick 30 second google found that. If you want more info, find it yourself.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/932h4r/any_iphone_x_users_experience_burn_in/

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...-image-to-burn-in-on-the-iphone-x-test-shows/
Like I said in a previous post takes longer, but happens. Any OLED will burn in with time since all the pixels are individually lit the screens brightness will change with time. You can rationalize your $1200-1500 phone all you want but so far no company has had a permanent fix for screen burn in and most companies don’t warranty it. A quick 30 second google found that. If you want more info, find it yourself.

Did you actually read the edit thread 99% said no or just google than copy and paste, not 1 photo or actual evidence in it. You the person that started the thread on macrumours? To justify your XR purchase?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox