Anybody getting an Xr?

bgl321

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Hope no one took my comments as negative. It was my opinion. Great phone and screen. Size just wasn’t for me.

Tpence2177

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Hope no one took my comments as negative. It was my opinion. Great phone and screen. Size just wasn’t for me.

I think I’ll enjoy the size after being a plus size user for the last 3-4 years I’m ready for a smaller size, but just wasn’t sure I was ready for the standard 8 size though.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
You have better eyes than normal. ;) Studies show that most people can't really tell the difference between the two. I went to the Apple Store today and looked at the Xr -- I think most people (not us tech nerds) will be happy with it. It appears with the "Liquid retina" that Apple talked about, they did a good job of improving the colors and brightness.

I'll agree that Apple "should" have made the screen 1080P, rather than 828p (or whatever it is). At the same time, Apple does what they want -- they tend not to care what us tech nerds think -- so it seems pointless to me to complain about what it isn't. Again, I think most people, those that don't buy based on "specs," will be very happy with the Xr screen. I think this is even true for some "tech nerds" who have issues with PWM, so chose not to have an OLED.

I did see one yesterday. The thing where I think the 326 PPI stands at is while reading text. For example reading an article on a website. It’s just not crisp. Other than than, the screen is feasible.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I'd be interested if someone ever did a study where they showed different phone displays, and people had to tell them what the quality of display was. I'd be even more interested if they also showed people different screens and suggested it was a different phone (such as that an Xr display was from a Samsung phone, like the S9, and then have them give their impressions of the display. I'd be interested in the results -- particular when suggested it was a different phone.

This isn't aimed at anyone here; people who are into tech should do better since they know the little things to look for; not to mention that there are people with exceptional eyesight who can see the differences. But the fact remains, people are very suggestible.

I can't help but think of some of Jimmy Kimmel's segments where he's shown the "new iPhone" using an older model, and have people think of the new iPhone. I think the worst is when he showed the "new Apple Watch," just before the first one was released, and showed people a $20 Casio digital watch.

I'm just not sure, and would be interested to know, how many can really tell the difference between an iPhone Xr, and iPhone Xs, and a Samsung S9 screen in terms of quality when casually using it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9JQsXPd41U

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
I did see one yesterday. The thing where I think the 326 PPI stands at is while reading text. For example reading an article on a website. It’s just not crisp. Other than than, the screen is feasible.

Coming from an X, I can 100% agree with you on that having used the phone for almost 24 hours now. The LCD panel is great, bright and color accurate but the text like in emails and articles online are not as crisp. It's something I can live with, just have to weigh the pros and cons of each device now to help me decide on one

gafool

Aug 31, 2017
Visit site
Im going to ask this here as well, went in to best buy today and was looking at the apple iPhone display and noticed all the phones had this cool screen saver? it was some drawing app? it drew the apple logo then a flower and something else but i wanted to know what app this was? sales rep didn't really know said look it up on google? lol but i didn't know screensaver could be added? so if your best buy has this please let me know and tell me what app this is! thanks

Dgray2712

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
Im going to ask this here as well, went in to best buy today and was looking at the apple iPhone display and noticed all the phones had this cool screen saver? it was some drawing app? it drew the apple logo then a flower and something else but i wanted to know what app this was? sales rep didn't really know said look it up on google? lol but i didn't know screensaver could be added? so if your best buy has this please let me know and tell me what app this is! thanks

I’m guessing it’s something that loaded onto phones once they’ve been set up as display models. It’s probably something that isn’t available to the general public.

hugzlife

Oct 28, 2018
Visit site
Picked up a blue XR last night. Coming from a 6S plus, the screen is barely better. I do see performance improvements (mainly for gaming). Need to get used to no home button though but it seems intuitive and easy to figure out.

pkguy323

Feb 25, 2018
Visit site
Went from 8+ to black XR 128GB. T-Mobile offered $390 back in credits without additional line requirement, so getting it for 1/2 off. Wanted best battery life, more screen, low band LTE, space to put all iTunes music on it, and to ditch the button.

Delivering on Monday.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I find it odd that Apple isn’t making cases for the xr. I wound up getting the X. I contemplated the Xr And would have been really bummed to not be able to put an Apple case on it.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
Those that bought a XR think the screen is fine, those that bought a XS/Max think it's ordinary. I think some people need to get their eyes checked again. I have reading glasses only.
My wife has a 8 plus which is better than XR supposedly and against my XS Max looks average to me.
Also
Portrait only works on people.
No 2 x zoom
No 3d touch
3 gb ram
Bezels are back

If you don't care about all those all its a great budget iPhone, probably suited to kids and women coming from 6/7/8 that want colours and new UI.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro