X to XR thoughts?

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Debating to use my iPhone upgrade program to get an XR with more storage than my X for cheaper per month. Thoughts on how it might compare? I think with the camera improvements I'll be fine there as I don't use the zoom lens a whole lot on my X or the 7 before, it probably saw most of it's use in creating the depth maps for portrait mode but the XR won't need a 2nd lens for that. So that leaves the screen. Both quality and the lack of 3D Touch. I'm not going to pre-order either way I'll check it out first for things like a direct screen comparison etc. just wondering what others think. My plan has been to just wait for next year, sell the X once it's paid off, and buy the next series on iUP again.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I was just watching a YouTube video last night about how good the X still is but I understand that you mentioned more storage which is why I got the max storage on my X so I can keep it for a few years.

From what I read so far about the Xr it appears to be a great device so you need to Weigh the pros and cons and what your needs are so doing a drive test is a great idea

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
The X is an amazing phone and in IMHO moving to the Xr, would only be because of the screen size. The internals are the same as the iPhone Xs and iPhone Xs Max, but you lose the OLED, cameras and 3D Touch.

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
The X is an amazing phone and in IMHO moving to the Xr, would only be because of the screen size. The internals are the same as the iPhone Xs and iPhone Xs Max, but you lose the OLED, cameras and 3D Touch.

You also lose Gigabit LTE if you get the XR instead of the XS or XS Max.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
Debating to use my iPhone upgrade program to get an XR with more storage than my X for cheaper per month. Thoughts on how it might compare? I think with the camera improvements I'll be fine there as I don't use the zoom lens a whole lot on my X or the 7 before, it probably saw most of it's use in creating the depth maps for portrait mode but the XR won't need a 2nd lens for that. So that leaves the screen. Both quality and the lack of 3D Touch. I'm not going to pre-order either way I'll check it out first for things like a direct screen comparison etc. just wondering what others think. My plan has been to just wait for next year, sell the X once it's paid off, and buy the next series on iUP again.

I'm actually debating the same upgrade. I have the X and love it, but I want the bigger screen. I got the XS Max and ended up returning it because it was just way too large for me. The XR I think will be the perfect size. Like you, I don't use the telephoto lens much and even when I do, I lose quality in the picture. 3D touch I don't use much and won't miss that enough to not make the upgrade.

My one concern will be the screen quality. So far, the videos I've seen, the XR screen looks quite impressive for an LCD screen. I'm sure side by side to the X the colors won't be as vibrant but I think it looks pretty good. If I am not sold on the screen, I'll just keep my X.

What color?! That's another thing, out of all the cool colors to choose from I am going with black haha. It goes with any case and looks most professional to me.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Yeah I also forgot the screen on the XR can't do HDR display like the X, XS, XS Max so that might make it a really tough call. I had forgotten about that until I went looking at a few sites earlier. Probably just going to stay with my X, it was kind of a random "what if" thing.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
Yeah I also forgot the screen on the XR can't do HDR display like the X, XS, XS Max so that might make it a really tough call. I had forgotten about that until I went looking at a few sites earlier. Probably just going to stay with my X, it was kind of a random "what if" thing.

Well what displays in HDR?

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Hmmm...wonder if that's even noticeable on this screen size. On a TV I'd say it is very noticeable

It is, cause we're talking the colors not the resolution. A while back there was a video game preview in 4K HDR on YouTube and on my X it had a lot more depth and contrast etc. than my very accurate but non HDR capable Dell Ultrasharp PC monitor.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
It is, cause we're talking the colors not the resolution. A while back there was a video game preview in 4K HDR on YouTube and on my X it had a lot more depth and contrast etc. than my very accurate but non HDR capable Dell Ultrasharp PC monitor.

Google just recently introduced HDR video support with the YouTube app. They have had support for it from the YouTube website since March.

Correction: Google just released HDR support for the YouTube app for iPhone XS and Max in September. It is still only 1080P, since Google doesn’t store 4K videos in anything other than their proprietary VP9 format, which Apple doesn’t support.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

If you want the bigger screen then definitely get the XR. Unless all of your pics will be printed on wall-size paper then the camera on the XR should be more than sufficient. In regard to 3D Touch, that depend on how often you use it now. If you use it often then you may miss it, but at the same time, you can adjust to life without it.

PrincessB

Trusted Member
Nov 30, 2011
Visit site

I think it’ll be better to get the X Max if you plan on upgrading. I’d keep the iPhone X and if space is the issue look into getting iCloud and/or storage apps.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Yeah I think I'm probably staying with the X. The more I think about the things the XR won't have vs. the X or the two XS series phones I think I'm just gonna wait till next year. I'm sure once I get my first AW in a couple weeks the desire to upgrade will be settled down by having a new toy :)

JBloverz

Oct 1, 2018
Visit site

I think it's better decision is to wait next year. iPhone X is still great and some point it's way better than iPhone XR. I am using iPhone X and I also decided to wait for next year. Hopefully next year Apple will bring someting much better than its older versions.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
I won’t go from an X to an XR unless battery life is your major concern...
XR is better in many ways, but worse in others.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner