X to XR thoughts?

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
Debating to use my iPhone upgrade program to get an XR with more storage than my X for cheaper per month. Thoughts on how it might compare? I think with the camera improvements I'll be fine there as I don't use the zoom lens a whole lot on my X or the 7 before, it probably saw most of it's use in creating the depth maps for portrait mode but the XR won't need a 2nd lens for that. So that leaves the screen. Both quality and the lack of 3D Touch. I'm not going to pre-order either way I'll check it out first for things like a direct screen comparison etc. just wondering what others think. My plan has been to just wait for next year, sell the X once it's paid off, and buy the next series on iUP again.

Where do you live and what carrier are you on?

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
If happy with current device keep it. I am keeping my 8+. Need to be logical and new devices haven’t been out long enough to see which is better. Price is insane

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I read the docs, it says that the iPhone XS is not too far apart from X, just over at storage and some of the features that the iPhone X has been bugged.

I’m sorry, but what iPhone X bugged features are you referring to?

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
So would you guys say a 5.8 to 6.1 screen is a HUGE difference or just a slight difference?

It's not HUGE but for me, significant.
In particular, I prefer the screen being WIDER - which makes reading, browsing, watching videos more comfortable.
Eg reading an ebook on an X/XS was something I never got familiar with. On the XR, it's ok-ish (I still prefer a real ebook reader or tablet, but don't carry one with me all the time).
Also, the XR supports enlarged display, which I like. It makes icons & text a little bigger, something that the X/XS don't support.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I was playing around with the XR and noticed that certain apps like Settings allow landscape mode. That's something I miss from my 6 Plus.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
How did you enable landscape mode? It doesn't do that for settings on my XR.

To enable landscape orientation in certain apps just turn your phone sideways. Make sure you have rotation lock toggled off in Control Center.
c4da42906f6dda81a8c064625c8a15bd.jpg

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I've been aware of that, thank you. However, the settings app on my XR doesn't go landscape, as claimed by @SprSynJn
This would be very convenient to have, as certain menu points get truncated in portrait mode.

It did for the demo unit I used at the store. I’m not sure why it isn’t for yours.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I suggest making lists or a table of pros and cons for this decision. They’re all great products but you have 1 vs two cameras, physical size, screen type and battery life. It would also apply to one making the XS vs XR decision. For X you also have future proof to consider.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711