Upgrade to iPhone 8📱:Pay only $8 a month
    So my problem is when I am using Siri to dictate my text messages she never understand anything I am trying to say even basic words. I just upgraded from the iPhone 8 and never had this many problems. Even as I am dictating to her right now she has not gotten a complete sentence correct. Does anybody have any suggestions on how I can get her to understand what I am saying more clearly other than screaming at her which is my last resort
    05-25-2019 01:08 PM
    So my problem is when I am using Siri to dictate my text messages she never understand anything I am trying to say even basic words. I just upgraded from the iPhone 8 and never had this many problems. Even as I am dictating to her right now she has not gotten a complete sentence correct. Does anybody have any suggestions on how I can get her to understand what I am saying more clearly other than screaming at her which is my last resort
    If you tend to speak quickly, try speaking slower. If you have an accent, definitely speak slower. In addition, how close are you to the device when you’re dictating?
    05-25-2019 01:20 PM
    Go to Settings > Siri & Search > Language and make sure you have the correct English dialect selected. This solves most, if not all, issues with dictation.
    Just_Me_D and scruffypig like this.
    05-25-2019 01:28 PM
    Go to Settings > Siri & Search > Language and make sure you have the correct English dialect selected. This solves most, if not all, issues with dictation.
    05-25-2019 02:37 PM
    It is set as English -Canada. It’s correct
    Tartarus likes this.
    05-25-2019 02:38 PM
    I tend to speak slower and louder when dictating. My phone is in my car no further from my face then my other phone on my phone holder and windows are rolled up to reduce noise. I don’t have an accent she can’t understand. I speak proper clear English. I’ve never had this much of an issue until I got this upgrade. Terrible. I tend to dictate to work client and spouse. It’s terrible when I’m driving and I dictate to send a message and when I have a chance to see it I am embarrassed by what this POS has written. I depend on being able to communicate by dictation when driving without having to be hands on as I drive for 90% of my job. If my iPhone 8 didn’t have an issue spelling and hearing me then I shouldn’t be having this problem with a newer phone.
    Last edited by Tanya L; 05-25-2019 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Spelling
    05-25-2019 02:43 PM
    Welcome to iMore

You mentioned that you just switched phones so try and do a Siri setup in Settings
    05-29-2019 11:34 AM
    Welcome to iMore

You mentioned that you just switched phones so try and do a Siri setup in Settings
    This.
    05-29-2019 12:58 PM
    My problem when dictating to Siri is that I speak very fast, and not always clearly. I have always been aware of this, but with Siri, it's excruciatingly obvious.

True story: I was voice texting with a friend. We were both on our way to the same meeting. She was running late and needed to stop for something to eat. She asked me to explain that she was on her way. I was driving and dictating a text to her, and I wasn't taking the time to speak clearly. I told her that I was there would go on in.. What Siri texted was something like I'm here with a gun.

When she arrived, she ran into the room, very distraught. She asked if everyone was ok. I was surprised and said we're fine. She then burst out laughing and showed me the text she had gotten from me. While it was funny and was worth a good laugh, it was a painful reminder that I need to do a better job of speaking clearly when voice texting.

It's especially frustrating when autocorrect chimes in with Siri. That can really mess things up.
    kataran likes this.
    05-29-2019 01:06 PM
    If you tend to speak quickly, try speaking slower. If you have an accent, definitely speak slower. In addition, how close are you to the device when you’re dictating?
    Everyone has an accent
    08-07-2019 12:32 AM
    Everyone has an accent
    That’s why speaking slowly and as clearly as possible will get better results.
    08-07-2019 06:37 AM
    That’s why speaking slowly and as clearly as possible will get better results.
    As if you were talking to Manuel !
    Annie_8plus likes this.
    08-10-2019 11:43 AM