Is gifting a used iPhone X in bad taste?

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I have the XS Max, but I also have a 256GB Space Grey iPhone X I got on launch day that's just sitting in a drawer. My dad is currently using an old iPhone SE. He wants a phone with a bigger screen, but he refuses to upgrade. Would it be in bad taste to gift him my used iPhone X for Xmas?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
To me it depends on who you're giving it to. While a tech dweeb (myself included) might appreciate the fact that it's an awesome phone and arguably much better than most brand new smartphones on the market not everyone has that level of appreciation. My wife, for example, is one of the least materialistic people in the world but if I gave her my old phone for Christmas she'd rip my head off.
Again, it's all in who is receiving it.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have the XS Max, but I also have a 256GB Space Grey iPhone X I got on launch day that's just sitting in a drawer. My dad is currently using an old iPhone SE. He wants a phone with a bigger screen, but he refuses to upgrade. Would it be in bad taste to gift him my used iPhone X for Xmas?
Nope...It is NOT in bad taste, and I'm sure your dad will be grateful. Remember, us dads don't require a lot...:cool:

worldspy99

Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
Absolutely not.
That's an amazing gift. Slap a screen protector on. Include a new case and maybe swap out accessories and he will feel like he got a brand new device!

Anastayja1

Trusted Member
Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
It is actually very thoughtful. I just gifted my sister my 8+ because she really wanted an iPhone but she just got the new iPad and couldn't justify getting both.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I agree with most. Sounds like a thoughtful and gracious gift.
Gifts do not have to be brand new, expensive and “the best”. They just should fill a need for the recipient.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
To me it depends on who you're giving it to. While a tech dweeb (myself included) might appreciate the fact that it's an awesome phone and arguably much better than most brand new smartphones on the market not everyone has that level of appreciation. My wife, for example, is one of the least materialistic people in the world but if I gave her my old phone for Christmas she'd rip my head off.
Again, it's all in who is receiving it.

1fd3b2e67c7cda219b7d78152aca1e2d.gif

violetjune

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
It’s an awesome gift!! I’m actually doing the same thing, gifting an X to one of my daughters and also gifting a 7 plus to my other daughter.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Trusted Member
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I don't think so. Sure it,s used, but at least your dad knows the previous owner.

To give a different perspective on things, I built each pair of my family members a PC for Christmas. They each got a used component to keep things relatively equal. I'm sure it will all go over well.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

Just sitting in a drawer? If it's in good condition then that sounds like a very tasty gift actually. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711