I don't use cases with my phone. This is not to say that i drop it. I didnt even notice until recently where my friend pointed out that i ruined my phone by not having a case then proceeded to point out the paint was coming off the metal surrounding the phone. I don't know if its something i can go to the apple store for, if its something thats common with iphone x users or even if there is something i can do to avoid this continuing because now that ive seen it i cant unsee it and the silver spot seems to be growing.

Thank you for all your comments
    via: premiere Luminaire
    Last edited by SafePin; 11-29-2018 at 03:51 PM.
    11-29-2018 12:25 PM
    I don't use cases with my phone. This is not to say that i drop it. I didnt even notice until recently where my friend pointed out that i ruined my phone by not having a case then proceeded to point out the paint was coming off the metal surrounding the phone. I don't know if its something i can go to the apple store for, if its something thats common with iphone x users or even if there is something i can do to avoid this continuing because now that ive seen it i cant unsee it and the silver spot seems to be growing.

If you don’t use a case, this can happen. It’s just a coating on the stainless steel and it can wear. Best o use a case if your worried about it.
    11-29-2018 12:59 PM

I’m going to assume you’re referring to the metal band and not the actual backing because that’s covered with glass. With that being said, it is best that you use a case to prevent cosmetic damages on the device. Apple is not going to replace it and it is not a common dilemma. Put a case on it and then go on enjoying your iPhone X.
    11-29-2018 01:41 PM
    I dont like using cases because i love the look of the phone. i think a lot of people can agree the iphone X series are the best looking phones. You would think that a manufacturer like apple would understand this. Are you sure that its not something i can go to the apple store and get it switched out? my phone is less than a year old. To me its like selling someone a car and within a year the steering wheel leather wears out because they didnt put a cover on it.. Will it make it car unusable? No but it ruins the experience of owning a new car
    11-29-2018 02:35 PM
    I dont like using cases because i love the look of the phone. i think a lot of people can agree the iphone X series are the best looking phones. You would think that a manufacturer like apple would understand this. Are you sure that its not something i can go to the apple store and get it switched out? my phone is less than a year old. To me its like selling someone a car and within a year the steering wheel leather wears out because they didnt put a cover on it.. Will it make it car unusable? No but it ruins the experience of owning a new car
    It’s worth a shot to take it to the Apple Store and see what they will do. I completely agree with you. While I do use a case most of the time, if I chose not to, I would expect the coating to hold up longer than one year under normal use. I don’t think that’s unreasonable. I’ve never had that happen before so I don’t know if it’s a common occurrence. Good luck!
    11-29-2018 03:24 PM
    Welcome to iMore

Is it wearing off or chipped off. Apple might be able to help you if its wearing off but chipping is another issue
    11-29-2018 04:18 PM
    Cape cod cloth. Shine it right back up, if it's the silver. I just bought a clear slickwrap for my X. Plan on putting it on this weekend. Good luck
    11-29-2018 08:10 PM
    This is a pretty well-known issue with the space gray X. See https://bgr.com/2017/11/15/iphone-x-...atches-photos/ from last year, just after the X was released.

It’s the major reason I bought the silver when I bought mine.

I doubt that Apple warrants this. I suppose it won’t hurt to ask, though.
    libra89 likes this.
    11-29-2018 09:25 PM
    I haven’t seen this on my launch day X. Everyone’s mileage varies. I say take it in & see what happens.
    11-30-2018 04:29 AM
    I haven’t seen this on my launch day X. Everyone’s mileage varies. I say take it in & see what happens.
    My space gray did it last year. Little by little when I didn’t use a case. Wasn’t worried about it because i trade mine in every year.
    11-30-2018 10:49 AM
    My space gray did it last year. Little by little when I didn’t use a case. Wasn’t worried about it because i trade mine in every year.
    Wow...Interesting.
    11-30-2018 09:07 PM
    Wow...Interesting.
    Thankfully, I’m not experiencing any of that.
    nikkisharif and kataran like this.
    11-30-2018 09:53 PM
    Thankfully, I’m not experiencing any of that.
    Same!!
    kataran and Just_Me_D like this.
    11-30-2018 09:54 PM
    Wow...Interesting.
    Yeah it just started chipping away. Thankfully my gold isn’t doing it this year. Seems they have improved the process this year. Seems much more durable.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    12-01-2018 12:49 AM
    Yeah it just started chipping away. Thankfully my gold isn’t doing it this year. Seems they have improved the process this year. Seems much more durable.
    My gold seems good too, but I haven’t had mine as long as you. Only time will tell!
    12-01-2018 01:00 AM