Better Deal; X or XR?

bgl321

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I am coming from the iPhone 7. I can get a new X, not the XS, for $800 or the XR for $750. What do you think is the better value, smarter choice? Thanks.

judgetom

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
In my humble opinion the XR. It has most of the features of the Xs family- except 3D-Touch, no OLED Display and a single OIS 12 MP camera instead of a Dual-Cam.

But if you are focused on taking pictures you should go with the „old“ X.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Screw the XR. Lcd screen eww. Single camera eww ( this isn’t the pixel 2) the screen once again. The only thing that’s better is the A12 but even then the A11 is still faster then the 845 and probably on par or better then the 855 or whatever their next one is. Thus you’ll be fine for a while with the X

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I am coming from the iPhone 7. I can get a new X, not the XS, for $800 or the XR for $750. What do you think is the better value, smarter choice? Thanks.

$50 separate last year's iPhone X from this year's iPhone XR. Since I don't care about the camera or the LCD screen, I wouldn't hesitate to get the newest iPhone model. A good deal of people are still caught up in the spec game. Sure an OLED looks better, but how much better depends on the individual. In addition, an LCD display is not junk. It is still bright, and clear. As for the camera, I've stated on numerous occasions that the camera that was on my iPhone 4S is still more than enough for a good deal of people.

If you can wait, wait until the iPhone XR hits the stores and then go and handle it in person. Afterwards, make your decision. If you need a new iPhone right now, then get the iPhone X.

bgl321

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
$50 separate last year's iPhone X from this year's iPhone XR. Since I don't care about the camera or the LCD screen, I wouldn't hesitate to the newest model. A good deal of people are still caught up in the spec game. Sure an OLED looks better, but how much better depends on the individual. In addition, an LCD display is not junk. It is still bright, and clear. As for the camera, I've stated on numerous occasions that the camera that was on my iPhone 4S is still more than enough for a good deal of people.

If you can wait, wait until the iPhone XR hits the stores and then go and handle it in person. Afterwards, make your decision. If you need a new iPhone right now, then get the iPhone X.

Yes. I think this is probably the smartest thing to do. My 7 is running fine so I don’t need one now... heck probably could keep it for at least another year but I do like Face ID so I getting one or the other. That said, I’ll probably end up with an XS or XS Max

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I’d be tempted to get the XR for the colors. But in all honesty I’d probably go with the X if I sat down to really think about it.

JBloverz

Oct 1, 2018
Visit site
Buying new iPhone XS when you are having iPhone X is like getting new Ferrari, when you are having same last version of Ferrari. Because the updated Ferrari may have new paint, new gadgamatics, bells, whistles, fast engine but after all its the same car you buy last year. It just different in few features and some gadgamatics. And just as Ferrari buying new iPhone xs over iPhone X is the same. No difference. Beneath it's the same mobile device you've used before..

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
It’s depends on what the individuals needs are and their budget. As what others on this thread have stated, I would go with the latest device available.

I also like the different colors available on the XR model. If your using the device primarily as a communication device, the LCD screen will be fine and even though the camera is not the top of the line, if you not looking at using the photos in a magazine, it will serve its purpose. Just my two cents.

anon(6014961)

May 31, 2014
Visit site
I’d get the X over the XR any day, for the $50 extra you get better screen, better camera, and the speed between processors is unnoticeable.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Buying new iPhone XS when you are having iPhone X is like getting new Ferrari, when you are having same last version of Ferrari. Because the updated Ferrari may have new paint, new gadgamatics, bells, whistles, fast engine but after all its the same car you buy last year. It just different in few features and some gadgamatics. And just as Ferrari buying new iPhone xs over iPhone X is the same. No difference. Beneath it's the same mobile device you've used before..

Soooooo which is the better deal? The iPhone X or the iPhone XR?

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I like big screens, the bigger the better. I say go with the XR. I'm my opinion if your ready to purchase go with what was released in that particular year. There is no reason to buy something new that is old. XR is the better deal in my opinion.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I’d get the X over the XR any day, for the $50 extra you get better screen, better camera, and the speed between processors is unnoticeable.

The XR normal camera is better than the X. You'd only be missing the 2x telephoto camera sensor, but if you would never use that, the XR camera will be better.

(It is hard to judge which phone anybody should buy between an X or an XR considering nobody has actually used an XR yet, nobody knows if battery estimates by Apple are correct, nobody knows how the cameras really work, nobody really knows how good the display is.)

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

the OP has the iphone 7. They stated they could get an X or an XR as an upgrade.....

bgl321

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
the OP has the iphone 7. They stated they could get an X or an XR as an upgrade.....

I could get the XS or Max as well but not sure I want spend anymore that $800. For $15 more a month I could get the XS (256 gb) now so the decision continues...