So.

The XS replaces the X

Apple have already taken it off their sites.

Has a ‘S’ model ever immediately replaced its predecessor before?
    09-12-2018 02:58 PM
    This was a surprising to see.

Guess they couldn’t drop the price under the IPhone Xr it would have started an uproar from the early adopters of the X.
    libra89 and aximtreo like this.
    09-12-2018 03:04 PM
    Honestly it makes sense. The differences are so minor that I couldn’t see many people selecting the Xs over the X if given the choice and an explanation on the differences. Gotta promote sales of the latest somehow.
    libra89 likes this.
    09-12-2018 03:05 PM
    Honestly it makes sense. The differences are so minor that I couldn’t see many people selecting the Xs over the X if given the choice and an explanation on the differences. Gotta promote sales of the latest somehow.
    Well, there's the pretty new gold color!
    libra89, wilber1, Quis89 and 1 others like this.
    09-12-2018 03:11 PM
    I agree, I think everyone would probably do that for sure. At least the two are exactly the same size.
    09-12-2018 03:22 PM
    Think the carriers will still sell the X? I would think they still have plenty of inventory left. Does anyone know?
    09-12-2018 03:26 PM
    Think the carriers will still sell the X? I would think they still have plenty of inventory left. Does anyone know?
    I don’t think so because Apple didn’t set a price for the X. So how will they sell them. They will most likely be recycled into new devices.

My opinion
    aximtreo and scruffypig like this.
    09-12-2018 03:41 PM
    Has a ‘S’ model ever immediately replaced its predecessor before?
    Sort of. The iPhone 5 was not repeated the next year of the 5S. It was more the 5c
    doogald likes this.
    09-12-2018 04:02 PM
    I don’t think so because Apple didn’t set a price for the X. So how will they sell them. They will most likely be recycled into new devices.

My opinion
    Yeah but what would they do with the old devices? Seems environmentally unfriendly to get rid of them lol.
    I wonder if Apple buys them back
    09-12-2018 04:12 PM
    Yeah but what would they do with the old devices? Seems environmentally unfriendly to get rid of them lol.
    Use them as warranty replacements?
    ChamNG, cinnamin and aximtreo like this.
    09-12-2018 04:38 PM
    I still love my original X and I think they where smart coming out with a less expensive LCD version which will draw in folks who had sticker shock when the X was initially released.

I love the fact they have introduced a few colors for the XR model which I think will appeal to younger crowd and myself, I like the blue and red version.

As with any new product, marketing, features and price are key factors in determining wether a product will be successful or not, now it’s wait and see and time will tell.
    09-12-2018 04:51 PM
    I still love my original X and I think they where smart coming out with a less expensive LCD version which will draw in folks who had sticker shock when the X was initially released.

I love the fact they have introduced a few colors for the XR model which I think will appeal to younger crowd and myself, I like the blue and red version.

As with any new product, marketing, features and price are key factors in determining wether a product will be successful or not, now it’s wait and see and time will tell.
    I agree the price of the Xr is spot on and if the 5c is any indication of sales I think Apple will do good in sales.

There still selling the 7 and 8 series but the Xr will be there real budget device to tech ratio
    libra89 and bakron1 like this.
    09-12-2018 05:18 PM
    I wonder if Apple buys them back
    Apple discussed recycling devices and the high recyclability of iPhones with the product launch. They will recycle them. The iPhone XS has recycled tin already. So that old iPhone lives on in your new devices... kind of a nice thought.
    kataran, aximtreo and libra89 like this.
    09-13-2018 02:56 PM
    Very Strange That They Stopped selling the X I noticed this the first day I guess they will use their on hand stock for warranty replacements. They also removed other devices looks like they trimmed down the iphone line.
    09-15-2018 04:36 PM
    Apple discussed recycling devices and the high recyclability of iPhones with the product launch. They will recycle them. The iPhone XS has recycled tin already. So that old iPhone lives on in your new devices... kind of a nice thought.
    seems like such a waste of young tech lives
    09-15-2018 07:01 PM
    seems like such a waste of young tech lives

The newer phones, possibly including the iPhone 6s, get resold as used. Only phones that are considered at the end of their "life" are recycled.
    09-15-2018 07:48 PM

My opinion
    The remaining inventory of X phones, other than those not required for replacements, will still be sold -- either through carriers, Best Buy, or Ebay. I'm sure they don't have too many left in the pipeline, since they likely quit building the X a few months ago (when they started changing over for Xs/Max production).

As for why, I believe it mostly has to do with some of the parts on the X -- the X used a Samsung OLED panel and the CDMA phones used a Qualcomm modem. The Xs phones are now using LG OLED panels and Intel modems; I suspect the major reason for discontinuing the X is so they didn't have to keep buying those parts.
    09-15-2018 07:53 PM
    The remaining inventory of X phones, other than those not required for replacements, will still be sold -- either through carriers, Best Buy, or Ebay. I'm sure they don't have too many left in the pipeline, since they likely quit building the X a few months ago (when they started changing over for Xs/Max production).

As for why, I believe it mostly has to do with some of the parts on the X -- the X used a Samsung OLED panel and the CDMA phones used a Qualcomm modem. The Xs phones are now using LG OLED panels and Intel modems; I suspect the major reason for discontinuing the X is so they didn't have to keep buying those parts.
    Samsung is still going to make OLED panels for the XS/Max. Some will have LG some will have Samsung
    09-20-2018 01:15 AM
    Use them as warranty replacements?
    I think so too.
    11-03-2018 11:17 PM

My opinion
    I work for Canada’s largest telecom. We still sell iPhone X. We’ll continue to sell it until we’re out of inventory or any remaining units are recalled.
    11-08-2018 08:50 AM
    I have noticed the X is still available on the T Mobile site and is currently a $100.00 cheaper then the XS at $899.00
    11-08-2018 02:55 PM