Is having a colorful iPhone a good thing?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
A few years back, Apple experimented with colors by introducing the iPhone 5C. Yet, there was never an iPhone 6C, 7C, 8C or XC. Why? Bad timing, not enough interest, didn’t want to use plastic? It could be a number of things, right?

With that in mind, it is rumored that one of the next iPhone models will come in an array of colors. Is that a good thing? Will you be one of the people who opt for the alleged colorful iPhones?

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
A few years back, Apple experimented with colors by introducing the iPhone 5C. Yet, there was never an iPhone 6C, 7C, 8C or XC. Why? Bad timing, not enough interest, didn’t want to use plastic? It could be a number of things, right?

With that in mind, it is rumored that one of the next iPhone models will come in an array of colors. Is that a good thing? Will you be one of the people who opt for the alleged colorful iPhones?

Options are always a good thing. Everyone I know that had a 5C loved it because they were able to have an iPhone in their favorite color. For my personal use, I’m not a fan of skittles colored devices. Gold (champagne) is about as colorful as I’ll get on a phone, and that needs to have a black faceplate (did the white for 2 years and I’m over it LOL).

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Options are always a good thing but I won’t be taking part in colorful iPhones anytime soon.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Options are always a good thing and with the better made clear cases that takes longer to turn that ugly yellowish color, I guess it's OK for those that like colors.They're not for me, I tend to keep it basic nowadays. Give me a black/dark color option and I'm happy.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
If I’m gonna upgrade, I’ll go with the most advanced device. To leave no doubt about what’s to be considered most advanced, let me just say I’ll buy the most expensive (of the choices Apple gives us) with the same storage.

The color options will not have any influence on my decision making whatsoever.

Last edited:

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Here’s a different take:
I believe it has been proven that colors draw us humans in, in other words we will want to pick up up our phone more and use it. The color of an icon, the logos are designed to attract us. Myself, (my opinion only and not trying to influence or judge others) I am trying to remove myself from that feeling that I have to pick up my smartphone every 5 minutes. Therefore, the plainer the better. No colors for me.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Trusted Member
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I honestly would like to see Apple bring out colors like Samsung did a few years back: the gemstone colors, like sapphire blue, emerald green, etc...

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Here’s a different take:
I believe it has been proven that colors draw us humans in, in other words we will want to pick up up our phone more and use it. The color of an icon, the logos are designed to attract us. Myself, (my opinion only and not trying to influence or judge others) I am trying to remove myself from that feeling that I have to pick up my smartphone every 5 minutes. Therefore, the plainer the better. No colors for me.

I wouldn’t be affected by the color mentality. Heck, when I pick up my iPhone, it’s primarily to answer an email, text message, reminders or participate in the iMore Forums. The color of the device would not make me use my iPhone more, but in an old school guy.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I wouldn’t be affected by the color mentality. Heck, when I pick up my iPhone, it’s primarily to answer an email, text message, reminders or participate in the iMore Forums. The color of the device would not make me use my iPhone more, but in an old school guy.

Well, I’m talking about the science behind attraction to color. We’re all different but we don’t always consciously recognize what we are doing. If the phone is in my pocket it won’t make a difference, but if it’s on the table next to me then it could affect me.
It doesn’t mean it’s a bad thing. We are attracted to colors, smells, tastes. If you like the color red and want a red iPhone, get one! I’m just bringing up a different perspective tied to my smartphone usage. For instance, I have removed Twitter from my SE, the phone I take to work with me. I don’t want to be tempted to check it while at work, I do that when I get home. It works for me.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Well, I’m talking about the science behind attraction to color. We’re all different but we don’t always consciously recognize what we are doing. If the phone is in my pocket it won’t make a difference, but if it’s on the table next to me then it could affect me.
It doesn’t mean it’s a bad thing. We are attracted to colors, smells, tastes. If you like the color red and want a red iPhone, get one! I’m just bringing up a different perspective tied to my smartphone usage. For instance, I have removed Twitter from my SE, the phone I take to work with me. I don’t want to be tempted to check it while at work, I do that when I get home. It works for me.

I understand that and I wasn’t debating you or anything. I was just saying that a colorful iPhone wouldn’t make me pick it up more. I’m too set in my ways with my iPhone usage. Know what I mean?

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Options are always good. It seems the various color options will be available on the 6.1” LCD version so I wouldn’t be going that route anyway. If I were to get anything, it would be the 6.5” upgrade from the X.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I think that the 5C plastic covered steel case is pretty unlikely these days, but glass can be multi-colored. That said, I think that Apple has seen that a few introductory colors works best, adding a color or two six months later (like the Product Red phones) to re-invigorate the market mid-cycle. I'd bet that Apple will stay with this strategy. It definitely makes the logistics of having only a few SKUs a lot easier.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711