Face ID Acting up a lot lately

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I have been noticing my Face ID hasn’t been recognizing me the past couple of weeks and I have had to use my numeric password to access my device?

I have the latest update and have tried to reset the function and reprogram my facial image a couple of times and the camera is recognizing me fine and the procedure goes through its paces and says the image was successful and when I try to unlock my phone using the function, I just goes right to the numeric keypad asking for my code??

I am thinking it’s time for a device reset and restore from my latest backup because I am not going through setting up my device from scratch.

Any ideas?? I am open for suggestions.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Re: Face ID Acting up a lot latley

On the off chance, is there any noticeable scuff around the notch area where the sensor is?

You must have read my mind, one of the first things I checked. I have had a glass screen protector on it since day one, but that doesn’t interfere with the sensor.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
The main reason i sold my X and using a 8 now, FID was hit and miss. I even tried with ios12 which seemed better at first but didn't last. It's useless where it sits in my brodit car holder so no good to me.
I put up with it since release, i picked up a few bargain 8 8/plus that i gave them to my wife and daughter, finally got one for myself 2 weeks ago. Unless they come up with a way it works at angles and from a desk which I'm sure they will eventually i wont be upgrading. Only thing i miss is tap to wake.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
No issues for me at all and I’ve been using the X since launch day. I also have a glass screen protector but it has a cutout for the camera area so there is no chance of interference at all for me.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
FaceID has never been as reliable and consistent as TouchId was for me. Primarily at odd angles or laying down or at my desk. I haven’t noticed any changes lately though. In what ways are you noticing issues? Normal, upright use? Or while at varying angles and things?

boogas8

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
I’m having the same issue. I used to be able to use it slightly off center or when I wake up with one eye open. Now i have a high fail rate. Even looking at it straight on is failing in the first try about 2-3 out of 10 trys.

I did rescan my face a few days ago but it had no effect. I’ve debated resetting my phone but haven’t had the time.

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
All good here running IOS 12 and works fine. Maybe it's time to redo you face on the phone to see if that works. My face ID always works just not on the first try but it eventually does work.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
For all the negative stuff I've said about Face ID since last November, it has become much improved and tolerable on iOS 12. I don't get much of the random quirkiness that I did on iOS 11.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
For all the negative stuff I've said about Face ID since last November, it has become much improved and tolerable on iOS 12. I don't get much of the random quirkiness that I did on iOS 11.

I am also hoping that OS12 will take care of some of my Face ID issues, for now I will just have to put up with it. Still keeping my X which has been the best iPhone I have owned, in my opinion.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
I am also hoping that OS12 will take care of some of my Face ID issues, for now I will just have to put up with it. Still keeping my X which has been the best iPhone I have owned, in my opinion.

I was on latest ios12 beta, no difference. It's similar to 1st gen TID not as good as 2nd is.

Frehley

Ambassador
Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
My Face ID has been spot on indoors, hit and miss outside. I can understand the sunlight causing an interference, but even on a cloudy day, it won't recognize and I have to enter my passcode. I like Face ID, but Touch ID worked all of the time.

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
This sounds strange besides myself I have over 8 friends that have the X and I asked them and not one complained it wasn't working properly. Could a app possibility cause problems? Not sure how some work from day one and others don't sounds strange I know when I first set it up from day one it was horrible but redid my face the next day and has been working good since.

Seneca09

Mar 10, 2018
Visit site
OP have you dropped your phone on a hard surface? I’m curious if that is what causing the internal system of Face ID to have come loose.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site

If Face ID is recognizing you now on iOS 11, iOS 12 is not going to fix it. iOS 12 just makes it a tad faster and smoother. Nothing ground breaking. If you have restored and still having issues, sounds like it’s your phone.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
If Face ID is recognizing you now on iOS 11, iOS 12 is not going to fix it. iOS 12 just makes it a tad faster and smoother. Nothing ground breaking. If you have restored and still having issues, sounds like it’s your phone.

I was figuring the same thing, looks like a trip to the local Genius Bar at the Apple store and see what they say.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234