Face ID Acting up a lot lately

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I took my screen protector off which had been on my device for the past few months and was stating to lift around the edges and now my Face ID is working normally.

I am thinking that some crud might have got under the screen protector and was affecting the front sensor?

Anyways, no screen protector for now and everything is back to normal. Going to try and out a new protector on this weekend and see what happens.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I took my screen protector off which had been on my device for the past few months and was stating to lift around the edges and now my Face ID is working normally.

I am thinking that some crud might have got under the screen protector and was affecting the front sensor?

Anyways, no screen protector for now and everything is back to normal. Going to try and out a new protector on this weekend and see what happens.

Belkin glass from the Apple store is a solid recommendation!

Seneca09

Mar 10, 2018
Visit site

I recommend a tempered glass screen protector. I’ve had it on since day one and no problems at all with it.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
This sounds strange besides myself I have over 8 friends that have the X and I asked them and not one complained it wasn't working properly. Could a app possibility cause problems? Not sure how some work from day one and others don't sounds strange I know when I first set it up from day one it was horrible but redid my face the next day and has been working good since.

Setup definitely makes a difference!! I made sure my hair was pulled back & I was in good light. I haven’t had any issues with Face ID, even in the dark or at an angle🤷🏾*♀️

Vega007

Jan 24, 2018
Visit site
Will I need to take my glasses off to get FID to work?

Nope. I wear glasses, but what I did was I did my first Face ID setup without and the second time it does it, I put them on. Never had an issue, and not sure if that even matters doing it. But it works with or without glasses for me - even works with sunglasses.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Ok, a question, what has been your experience when you are woken by a phone call,pick the phone up and point it in the general direction of your face... does it work ?

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Ok, a question, what has been your experience when you are woken by a phone call,pick the phone up and point it in the general direction of your face... does it work ?

I have never been woken in the night by a call, but I did try and use it in the dark and it when to the touch code screen right way.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I have decided to go back to my iPhone 8 because my hands just ache after holding a larger phone for a while.

Unfortunately that’s the price I paid for 30 years of typing and repetitive task during my career. The iPhone 8 seems to be a good fit in my hand.

Although I will miss the extra screen and keyboard space, at lest my hand won’t get tired while holding a large device during a long phone call.

The reality of getting old, oh well. I do enjoy being semi retired and not having to get up and go to the office anymore.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

In addition to the responses you’ve already received you can also turn off “Require attention for Face ID” in Settings > Face ID & Passcode. As long as your phone can see your face it will unlock, even if you aren’t necessarily staring directly at it with your eyes open. The benefit is it makes Face ID less picky and a little more convenient. The obvious downside is it’s slightly less secure. Personally I have require attention turned off. I’m not concerned someone is going to try to break into my phone while I’m sleeping or force me to unlock it against my will. My only exception is when I’m traveling by plane. I turn off Face ID when I go through TSA and then turn it right back on once I’m in the terminal.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I can't say about answering calls, but I know that when I am laying in bed with my head propped up and grab my phone, because my head is in a weird position, Face ID doesn't always work.