Do more people switch from the iPhone or to the iPhone?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm not interested in your device preference, but I would like to know this: Do you think more people switch from the iPhone or switch to the iPhone?

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I think both. I see people go back and forth for various reasons all the time, but I don’t see any more folks moving on from the iPhone as I see moving to the iPhone. Seems pretty equal.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Within my physical circle ⭕️ I see family and friends moving to the iPhone as they age.

My theory is there seeking stability and a long term OS updates

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I’d say for the last few years I’ve seen more moving to iPhone in general, but I don’t think that your average consumer switches as much as those on a forum like this. About 70% of people I know personally have iPhones and that percentage hasn’t really changed much over the last couple years. People tend to stick to what they know until given a reason to switch.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
People I know just don't switch all that often. In fact, most people hold on to phones for a long time in my group of contacts. I know only a couple or three people who get the latest and greatest yearly. (I moved from Android to iPhone finally three years ago.)

As for switchers, I have two contacts I know of who switched from iPhone to Android in the last year or so and two who moved from Android to iPhone, so it's even.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
People I know just don't switch all that often.

That has been my experience as well. Heck, I’m the one they think switches all the time. For a while, “what phone are you using now?” Was a conversation starter.

I need 1 person to switch though...got a group message with my wife and siblings-in-law and there’s one person using a Samsung.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
That has been my experience as well. Heck, I’m the one they think switches all the time. For a while, “what phone are you using now?” Was a conversation starter.

I need 1 person to switch though...got a group message with my wife and siblings-in-law and there’s one person using a Samsung.

I typically get the “D, I know you have the newest iPhone so how is it?” line.

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I would suspect that there is a difference between the habits of a 'user' of technology, and those of an 'enthusiast'. Priorities are different in what one wants and needs in a given product. As was posted, those who generally follow forums could be deemed 'enthusiast'. Geographics are also a factor ( availability of both product as well as competent support)

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Trusted Member
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
From my point of view, it seems to be pretty static. iPhone users are not shifting and Android users may be changing OEMs, but not necessarily platforms.

Vega007

Jan 24, 2018
Visit site
People I know just don't switch all that often. In fact, most people hold on to phones for a long time in my group of contacts. I know only a couple or three people who get the latest and greatest yearly. (I moved from Android to iPhone finally three years ago.)

As for switchers, I have two contacts I know of who switched from iPhone to Android in the last year or so and two who moved from Android to iPhone, so it's even.

This. I am the one always eyeing new phones, no one else in my family or friends cares, they hold on to their phone until the thing is dead.

As for switching, I can think of 2 people (myself included) that switched to iPhone. I can think of zero people that switched from iPhone to Android.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

This is a pet peeve of mine UGH I usually end up putting those threads on DND The person with the Android always ends up sending a message outside of the group by mistake because their phone is doing some weird thing with group messages!! I can’t stand it lol

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
This is a pet peeve of mine UGH I usually end up putting those threads on DND The person with the Android always ends up sending a message outside of the group by mistake because their phone is doing some weird thing with group messages!! I can’t stand it lol

I keep em on DND because a lot of times, I don’t care about what they’re talking about!

Well, that AND I hate excessive notifications so most groups I’m in are set DND if it’s in messages or muted in like WhatsApp.

Hashtag: don’t judge me

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
In my circles I definitely see more people switching to the iPhone. It's kinda funny also because the ones that do use an Android device usually already have an iPad...LOL

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I mostly see switching to. I switched to when the 6+ came out. I got tired of not being able to do anything with my BB.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
As somebody who used an Android phone for 6 years and owned an iPad at the same time, I see nothing weird about that at all. There really have never been good Android tablets, and I always bought an Android phone not because I thought that Android was superior (I believe that on phones that they are pretty equal from a software/OS point of view TBH), but because there was always a reason why I didn't want to go with iPhone at the time of purchase (i.e., iPhone wasn't on Verizon for a few cycles for me, and then the only iPhone that they had was made of glass on the back, which I thought was pretty dumb. And I still do think it's kind of dumb, though obviously I still bought an iPhone built that way.)