Space Grey iPhone X flaking?!?

Epic101

Jul 30, 2018
Visit site
I am going to buy an iPhone X tomorrow and I have seen onling that the space grey might flake as it ages. I am wondering how common of an issue this is because the same grey is my ideal choice of color, but I will get the silver if the flaking is a big issue. Please let me know if you have had this problem, and if it is worth getting the space grey.
Thanks!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I am going to buy an iPhone X tomorrow and I have seen onling that the space grey might flake as it ages. I am wondering how common of an issue this is because the same grey is my ideal choice of color, but I will get the silver if the flaking is a big issue. Please let me know if you have had this problem, and if it is worth getting the space grey.
Thanks!

You are the first person I’ve come across who has mentioned flaking of a space gray iPhone X ‘as it ages’. With that being said, please answer the following questions:

1. Will you be carrying your iPhone X as-is or in a protective casing?
2. How long do you plan to keep your iPhone X?

If the answer to the first question is you’ll be carrying it in a protective casing and the answer to the second question is no more than two years then I recommend you go ahead and get the iPhone X in your preferred color.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
Mine hasn’t flaked at all, but there are a few dings from drops that you can see a tiny silver showing through.

Epic101

Jul 30, 2018
Visit site
I am going to have it in a case, and I plan on keeping it for upwards of four years. I have read that it is good to have a case with microfiber lining. Would that help with the issue?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I am going to have it in a case, and I plan on keeping it for upwards of four years. I have read that it is good to have a case with microfiber lining. Would that help with the issue?

Yes, it should.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com

If I would’ve been using a case it wouldn’t have happened to mine at all. It’s completely my fault. I just hate cases.

Epic101

Jul 30, 2018
Visit site
Will it help it last four years, I mean it probably won't be that big of a deal to me at that time but I'm just curious.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I had space gray in the beginning and I had silver showing in a couple of areas on the bottom without dropping it. Not even sure how it happened as a baby my phones. Used Apple cases which has opened bottoms. It drove me nuts because it stood out. So when I swapped to a 256 in early April, I got silver because you can buff any scratches. So yes it can chip or flake.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I've had the Space Gray for 6 months and, most of the time, it has been in a leather case. I can't see any silver. Unless you are "clumsy" and drop your phone a fair amount, I would think you'd be fine with the Space Gray with it kept in a case.

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
I’ve the space gray X since Nov 4th and since then it’s always in Apple’s saddle brown leather case and till now, it’s still in pristine condition.

Don’t forget this space gray is not the same as iPhone 5’s slate color which is well known to peel/flake after a while of use. I find the coating on the space gray X to be quite resilient.

Last edited:

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I don't know, just varies from user to user. I've seen a few posts about it here and a few over on reddit. I really wouldn't be too concerned about it. If it flakes, it flakes.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I have the Space Grey. Delivered to my doorstep on release day. It's been in a case around 85% of it's time with me. As of late I've starting going case-less (last 2 weeks) but have put a case back on it the past two days (because I love the Leather Apple case feel and look).

I don't have any paint chipping or any issues that you've described. If you take care of your device and use a case, you should be fine. But things happen, of course.

I would say it's nothing to worry about so long as you take care of your equipment.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I have the Space Grey. Delivered to my doorstep on release day. It's been in a case around 85% of it's time with me. As of late I've starting going case-less (last 2 weeks) but have put a case back on it the past two days (because I love the Leather Apple case feel and look).

I don't have any paint chipping or any issues that you've described. If you take care of your device and use a case, you should be fine. But things happen, of course.

I would say it's nothing to worry about so long as you take care of your equipment.

I agree. Most times you should ok. Since mine was in an Apple case, it had the chance for the bottom to rub against something. Only thing I could see happening on why mine chipped is maybe my wedding ring on my finger scraped against it when I would pull it out of pocket. Otherwise I have no clue on what could of happened. So mine falls under things happen of course. Even when babying my phone.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I know several folks who own a slate grey iPhone X since the official launch day and none have seen any of the finish flaking off.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I have a SG 8 & X, both launch day, and I have no issues with flaking or scrapes. I don’t baby my devices & I use them naked half the time. Other times their in the Apple leather & Apple Folio cases...bottoms exposed, still no issues with the coating. Any item can be part of a bad batch, which is why people are having different experiences. Either you take your chances or you don’t! You’ll always get conflicting information. There’s no such thing as a perfect device.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
The problem is no coating regardless of how well its designed to adhere to the surface of a smartphone body can hold up. The more fragile smartphones become, the more likely a case is needed. I had the grey, and opted to get the silver, still like both and may just put a skin on the back of my silver to make it another color.