Screen phantom touch issue?

jgraves1107

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
How many have actually had a portion of their screen fail? Mine just started last week after the 11.4.1 update 3rd row from the bottom. It acts like it's the screen up until I get internal failure on a face id login. Apple seems to think it's just the screen and not internal. Not even 2 months old either.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I've yet to experiencing anything like that with any of the iPhones I've ever owned. Having said that, if Apple "seem to think it's just the screen", have you made a Genius Bar appointment to get the screen fixed? Since it happened "after the 11.4.1 update", have you tried doing a clean install and then setting up as new? That's what I'd do before having the screen replaced.

jgraves1107

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I've yet to experiencing anything like that with any of the iPhones I've ever owned. Having said that, if Apple "seem to think it's just the screen", have you made a Genius Bar appointment to get the screen fixed? Since it happened "after the 11.4.1 update", have you tried doing a clean install and then setting up as new? That's what I'd do before having the screen replaced.
Done the reset and it came right up during the setup. First iphone ever to give me an issue. Genius bar Tuesday to get the screen or phone replaced. I'm thinking it may be more than screen since I keep getting a message internal error pop up on a few apps. Just wondered if anyone else saw this crop up. They said bring it in and let the tech run the diagnostics and let the know it was also displaying an error. More than likely they will just replace the phone with a new one. Thankfully I kept my Note 8 as a backup.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Done the reset and it came right up during the setup. First iphone ever to give me an issue. Genius bar Tuesday to get the screen or phone replaced. I'm thinking it may be more than screen since I keep getting a message internal error pop up on a few apps. Just wondered if anyone else saw this crop up. They said bring it in and let the tech run the diagnostics and let the know it was also displaying an error. More than likely they will just replace the phone with a new one. Thankfully I kept my Note 8 as a backup.

Okay, thank you. Please let us know the outcome after you’ve visited the Genius Bar, if you don’t mind. I’m interested to know the root cause of the problem.

jgraves1107

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Well spent the entire day dealing with Apple’s so called genius’! First they are nothing but children hired to act cool! Get my re re and she proceeds to run the diagnostics as I explain what my X is doing and show off my fancy Samsung Note 8 video of the issues I recorded. I tell her it keeps throwing up a msg “Internal Error” as well. She proceeds to explain that it is just a screen replacement and the error has nothing to do with it. Go Pokémon hunting for an hour and come back to a new screen and start setting up after the reset. As I try to setup Face ID it refuses for 3 trys. Finally get that done and start to enter a passcode. BAM! Bright green line down the right side appears. As bad as it was to see it was worse knowing they had rushed me to sign off on the device and hauled but to the back like they accomplished the greatest feat of all time. Yet never tested it prior to returning my X and claiming all fixed. As all the re re geniuses look at me as I attempt to wave them over I have to express my displeasure with a loud “SERIOUSLY” shrugging my shoulders as the geniuses stare in confusion. They still stand and stare as I say “You call this fixed?”. One rushes over as customers look on and says “what’s the problem?”. Look and tell me how great this screen is. I don’t see anything wrong she explains. Really you don’t see the big green line on the right side? Oh. Oh. Hold on let me take it to the back. Brings it back handing it over and says “finish the setup and see if it comes back”. Um really?! It still there. Ok hold on they just made it go away. Let me see I will be back. Now comes the new genius. Ok well looks like the internal error meant it was a hardware failure of the logic board. We have to replace it. Another hour and a half later they finally have a new X updated and ready for me to take home. Um hey you think you could pull my SIM card out and put it in the new one? Oh wait it’s not in there? I been leaning on this counter for an hour and not one genius has pulled my sim from the defective X. Finally get to setup the new X before I leave to ensure there are no problems. 30 minutes later I am able to leave and drive 2 hours home.

What I noticed at the Apple Store is that non of the staff wants to help older customers or deal with problem devices. They are too busy playing on the radios back and forth while facebooking. They took an entire day to give me a new X because they knew that was the only problem and that I had no knowledge of the problem. Yet they never tested the device before giving it back and proceeded to rush me off. This is not the Apple Store that I used to come to before Jobs passed! I will be writing a formal complaint and including the money lost due to the defective X and lack of customer help! Trust me they were too worried about getting customers out of their hair and not fixing issues or even selling me a MacBook Pro! Sad what has happened to Apple.

jgraves1107

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Have to say if you have to get your X changed for a new because of a hardware failure make sure to just setup as new. Nothing but corruption on my backups. Looks like the replacement is way faster than the original on everything!

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
In my IT career (more years than I want to admit) managing company communication starting with the car phone, bag phone, the "brick", the flip phone, Blackberry, Nextel and through today's smartphones, I've never come across a device where part of the screen stops working, without the conversation starting out with "Well, I dropped my phone and.....".

Now I'm not in any way saying that's what's happened here, I'm just saying I've never seen a screen or a portion of a screen just stop working, especially after an OS update.

jgraves1107

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
In my IT career (more years than I want to admit) managing company communication starting with the car phone, bag phone, the "brick", the flip phone, Blackberry, Nextel and through today's smartphones, I've never come across a device where part of the screen stops working, without the conversation starting out with "Well, I dropped my phone and.....".

Now I'm not in any way saying that's what's happened here, I'm just saying I've never seen a screen or a portion of a screen just stop working, especially after an OS update.
Never dropped the phone. The screen was acting as if I was touching it. Turns out was not the screen at all. Hardware failure on one of the boards. I have been a tech working with all kinds of electronics, so just because you have never seen a device fail without damage doesn't mean it doesn't. The fact that I restored the new phone with my backup and had wifi, bluetooth, lag, apps that refused to work actually proves the hardware issue. Corrupted file structure from one of the boards. You can find plenty of iPhone X screen issues. Only one employee at the Apple store admitted that the issue has been seen several times there. The new screen worked except a green line down the right. Face ID did not want to setup, apps were saying I had put in the wrong credentials. The phone's hardware failed not the screen. If I had dropped it I wouldn't need to go to Apple. My insurance covers that with hesitation. If I throw it out the widow going 70 down the interstate and pick it, I take it to my insurance and they send me a check. Guess the Note 7 never went up in smoke either. All user error? Not once did mine, bit nope had to turn it in. I have had every iphone from day one and this is the first that ever failed. Now I can say I never had bend gate, nor antenna gate, never had the touch issue on the 6, but lots of others did. I appreciate the idea that you think because you worked all these years that you know I dropped it. Ever programmed a computer with a real? Guess the error when the motor reverses and tears the tape apart is the guy that loaded it's fault. How about the gas petal on these new technological cars accelerating to full speed? What about all those unmanned cars that run people over? The only phone I ever dropped was my Nokia brick! Oh wait I threw that thing in the wall, out the car window, off the roof of the shop, and wow it still worked. Tech today is just cheap compared to the old days.

P.S. if I had dropped it I could just buy a new one with insurance any time I want. I took it to Apple so maybe they could fix their issue.

And another P.S. No I'm not upset either. Really I'm not.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I appreciate the idea that you think because you worked all these years that you know I dropped it. Ever programmed a computer with a real? Guess the error when the motor reverses and tears the tape apart is the guy that loaded it's fault. How about the gas petal on these new technological cars accelerating to full speed? What about all those unmanned cars that run people over? The only phone I ever dropped was my Nokia brick! Oh wait I threw that thing in the wall, out the car window, off the roof of the shop, and wow it still worked. Tech today is just cheap compared to the old days.

P.S. if I had dropped it I could just buy a new one with insurance any time I want. I took it to Apple so maybe they could fix their issue.

And another P.S. No I'm not upset either. Really I'm not.

lee_bo said:
Now I'm not in any way saying that's what's happened here,

I never said you DID drop it. See? Here's proof.

jgraves1107

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I never said you DID drop it. See? Here's proof.
Lol. No seriously though I think Apple had some bad runs in the beginning and the X did not sell here like it did in other places. So we have devices from launch at Verizon here. They had already told me to take it to the apple store because there had been a few fail the employees bought. This new one is way faster than the one they swapped out. I mean its night and day difference. I have never seen that b4. It was like the X I bought at Verizon was a Volkswagen beetle and the one from the apple store a missile. GPS was way off on it too. Gonna run a check on the serial and see if my wife's X is from the same batch because her GPS is way off. She got her's 3 days after mine. Honestly though I'm lucky if I keep a phone 6 months b4 I buy a new one. Got my Note 8 in late December and bought the X at the end of May. Now I carry both. N8 for YouTube and forums and the X for work stuff. Heck I got a iphone 4 that still looks like it came off the factory floor. Now if Apple makes a bigger screen version of the X I'm buying it! Think I'm skipping the next Note though. I'm just mad about losing all my activity data because of corruption. That's one Apple needs to backup by itself.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234