OneDrive app and "Open in other app"

ssbtech

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
One of these days, when someone does a lengthy video review of how pretty and thin the device is, they'll touch on the long list of frustrations and limitations that still exist even after 11 major revisions of the OS.

I'm shocked at how crippled the basic, core functionality of this device is.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
One of these days, when someone does a lengthy video review of how pretty and thin the device is, they'll touch on the long list of frustrations and limitations that still exist even after 11 major revisions of the OS.

I'm shocked at how crippled the basic, core functionality of this device is.

You’ll get to appreciate it though. Once you’ve been on Android or another platform, it takes a little longer to get used to it.

ssbtech

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
I cane from BB10. Like a fool, I looked at Apple's move away from the home button to gesture based navigation as some sort of shift in their overall thinking. Boy, was I wrong. This thing is so frustrating to use at nearly every turn.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I cane from BB10. Like a fool, I looked at Apple's move away from the home button to gesture based navigation as some sort of shift in their overall thinking. Boy, was I wrong. This thing is so frustrating to use at nearly every turn.

I hear you. Apple is not one to make big changes at once. They do it slow, they do it gradually but safe from 1 or to 2 mistakes, never half baked.

Like I said in a previous post in this thread, Microsoft was way ahead of it’s time with their Windows Mobile. Yet, they had to fully abandon their mobile platform because they couldn’t keep up with the rest. I guess all I’m trying to say is that somehow for some reason Apple seems to do it right.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

I would be lost on a BB10. The more you use the iPhone, the more sense it makes.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
The more I use iOS, the more I question why Apple made the decisions they did. There are so many small ways the OS could be improved and yet we get Animoji.

Apple has always done things different. Heck, their slogan was even “Think Different” for a long while.
That’s why they are one of the greatest, richest tech companies out there.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/06/05/investing/apple-trillion-dollar-market-value-amazon/index.html

a483730cc7cd55e6aa9ae18080fca949.png

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Think_different

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The more I use iOS, the more I question why Apple made the decisions they did. There are so many small ways the OS could be improved and yet we get Animoji.

I don't have any issues with the OS. And I'm still on iOS 10.1.1. The main (possibly only) thing I don't like about iOS 11, is they killed 32 bit apps. I've never used a Blackberry or an Android. The iPhone is different from a Blackberry. It sounds as though you expected it to be like a Blackberry. Give it time. You'll adjust to the changes. Many here on iMore were long time Blackberry users. They've adjusted and love their iPhone.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
None of my OneDrive files in the Files app have the cloud icon on them, and I certainly haven't opened that many of them.

I've got over 7GB of files in OneDrive, but the files app is showing 20KB of file storage used when I check on it in Settings.

Something doesn't add up there.

I’m a little confused here. Are you looking at the OneDrive storage or the Files storage in settings? If you’re saving local copies to OneDrive the Files app storage is not going to change because those files are saved locally to OneDrive.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I’m a little confused here. Are you looking at the OneDrive storage or the Files storage in settings? If you’re saving local copies to OneDrive the Files app storage is not going to change because those files are saved locally to OneDrive.

To be clear, that cloud on files I previously mentioned is in the Files app, not in the OneDrive app.
I hardly use those apps anymore since the Files app came to iOS.

ssbtech

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site

I was looking at Settings -> General ->iPhone Storage -> Files to show me the storage usage of the Files app.

I don't see a way to save local copies, or identify local vs cloud status, for OneDrive files in the Apple Files app.

I use the OneDrive app to sync local copies of certain files for offline viewing, usually due to size.

ssbtech

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
Many here on iMore were long time Blackberry users. They've adjusted and love their iPhone.

if by adjusted you mean giving up functionality, then I suppose the phone is lovable. Don't get me wrong, it's a great piece of hardware and the app selection is great. But simple things like being able to open my offline copy of a PDF from OneDrive without duplicating it to Adobe Reader missing from the OS is insane.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I was looking at Settings -> General ->iPhone Storage -> Files to show me the storage usage of the Files app.

I don't see a way to save local copies, or identify local vs cloud status, for OneDrive files in the Apple Files app.

I use the OneDrive app to sync local copies of certain files for offline viewing, usually due to size.

Yes, and if you use OneDrive to make a file available offline it saves it to OneDrive. Therefore OneDrive’s storage space increases, not the Files app.

ssbtech

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
Yes, and if you use OneDrive to make a file available offline it saves it to OneDrive. Therefore OneDrive’s storage space increases, not the Files app.

I don't think I challenged that.

It was stated in post #17 that opening a cloud file in the Files app saves a local copy. I used the storage status of the Files app to suggest that wasn't happening, as I only have ~20KB or so of file-related storage showing for the Apple Files app where it was expected that I'd have 80MB.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

1c92278ce03cad07a5e470d8f50e71b3.png

As you can see in above screenshot, there is a cloud in the upper right corner.

That cloud indicates that the file is not saved locally and needs to be downloaded.
If that cloud doesn’t appear on a file, this means that that file is saved locally.
You can double check this by putting phone in Airplane Mode and open a file with and without cloud. You will see that only the file without cloud will open.

I used the storage status of the Files app to suggest that wasn't happening, as I only have ~20KB or so of file-related storage showing for the Apple Files app where it was expected that I'd have 80MB.
You’re assuming that the file is saved in the Files folder.
I’m not 100% sure but the file may be saved locally to the cache folder on your iPhone instead of said Files folder.

ssbtech

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
Again, none of my OneDrive files in the Apple Files app show a cloud icon as your image shows. None of them open with airplane mode enabled, so they haven't been previously cached.

I disabled airplane mode, opened a file then re-enabled airplane mode. I was able to re-open the file again, suggesting it'd had been cached from the first launch. Still no cloud icons giving me any indication of the file cache sate.

This sort of cache isn't the same as the OneDrive option to selectively pick the files I want saved for offline viewing. What's to say I want everything I open cached on my phone? What happens when I clear the cache to clean up the phone, and then I want one of those cached files? Speaking of which, where do I go to clear that cache? :/

iOS has taken away from me the choice of what I want to "pin" or permanently save on the device. Again, some of the files are quite large and I don't want them downloading via data when I open them. With OneDrive, I know what's saved locally at a glance and I can choose to open that big file or not.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Again, none of my OneDrive files in the Apple Files app show a cloud icon as your image shows. None of them open with airplane mode enabled, so they haven't been previously cached.

I disabled airplane mode, opened a file then re-enabled airplane mode. I was able to re-open the file again, suggesting it'd had been cached from the first launch. Still no cloud icons giving me any indication of the file cache sate.

This sort of cache isn't the same as the OneDrive option to selectively pick the files I want saved for offline viewing. What's to say I want everything I open cached on my phone? What happens when I clear the cache to clean up the phone, and then I want one of those cached files? Speaking of which, where do I go to clear that cache? :/

iOS has taken away from me the choice of what I want to "pin" or permanently save on the device. Again, some of the files are quite large and I don't want them downloading via data when I open them. With OneDrive, I know what's saved locally at a glance and I can choose to open that big file or not.

The files app is a container for cloud services that supports it. It isn’t by far as feature-rich as the standalone apps for those cloud services.

You may be well served with the app for OneDrive.

As far as I know it is not ‘yet’ possible to clear cache for Files app. iOS manages this for you, depending on how much free storage is left on your device.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
The more I use iOS, the more I question why Apple made the decisions they did.

I can't speak for Apple, but I do know that from the start the OS was designed to sandbox apps, and the ability for apps to work with data from another app has been slowly and carefully added over time. For some of us it has been a frustrating wait for richer capability. I suspect that options will get richer as time goes by, but it sounds to me that you would be better served from a more powerful computer (an MS Surface tablet, MacBook) for your workflow rather than an iPad.

ssbtech

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
I can't speak for Apple, but I do know that from the start the OS was designed to sandbox apps, and the ability for apps to work with data from another app has been slowly and carefully added over time. For some of us it has been a frustrating wait for richer capability. I suspect that options will get richer as time goes by, but it sounds to me that you would be better served from a more powerful computer (an MS Surface tablet, MacBook) for your workflow rather than an iPad.

Not using an iPad. I do have a Surface Pro that'll I'll pull out when I need the full capabilities of a PC, but a brand-new, cutting edge, state of the art $1,200 iPhone shouldn't be out-featured by my 3 year old, $200 (Brand new, unlocked through a promo) BlackBerry.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods