OneDrive app and "Open in other app"

ssbtech

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
Hello,

Odd little issue I'm having here.

I have a file in OneDrive - it's an 80MB service manual. I've used the OneDrive app to "save a copy offline" on the phone so I'm not downloading the whole thing every time I go to open it.

When I tap the three dots next to the file and select "Open in Another App" the selection tray that pops up has Adobe Reader in it. But it's shown as "Copy to Adobe Reader".

So I tap it. Adobe Reader opens up and I use my document. Each time I do this, it makes a duplicate of the file (Adobe Reader's "My Documents" list shows the filename with a (#) after it for each copy it's made. I now have 5 copies of the 80MB file on the phone, in addition to the offline copy in OneDrive.

How do I stop this from "copying to" Adobe reader and just make it "Open with"?

Thanks.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

Odd little issue I'm having here.

I have a file in OneDrive - it's an 80MB service manual. I've used the OneDrive app to "save a copy offline" on the phone so I'm not downloading the whole thing every time I go to open it.

When I tap the three dots next to the file and select "Open in Another App" the selection tray that pops up has Adobe Reader in it. But it's shown as "Copy to Adobe Reader".

So I tap it. Adobe Reader opens up and I use my document. Each time I do this, it makes a duplicate of the file (Adobe Reader's "My Documents" list shows the filename with a (#) after it for each copy it's made. I now have 5 copies of the 80MB file on the phone, in addition to the offline copy in OneDrive.

How do I stop this from "copying to" Adobe reader and just make it "Open with"?

Thanks.

You don’t. You go to Adobe Reader app and open the file from there.
Clearly the devs of Adobe want you to use their app, which is why didn’t implement the ‘Open with’ feature. Yeah, devs can be horrible that way.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
That works brilliantly for files that are often changing...

Anyone recommend a better PDF reader?

It does. You can choose within Adobe Reader from where you want to open the file. Open from OneDrive and you’ll always have the latest version of that file.

ssbtech

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
^And does that open the locally sync'd copy of the file or does it fetch it from OneDrive via the mobile network?

It's pretty silly behavior.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
^And does that open the locally sync'd copy of the file or does it fetch it from OneDrive via the mobile network?

It's pretty silly behavior.

Once that file is saved locally, it will pull that from the app.
It won’t attempt to redownload it.

ssbtech

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
I suppose that's good to know, but it's silly that I can't open the file from within the OneDrive app without it creating duplicates.

it's the same behavior for Foxit from the looks of it.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I suppose that's good to know, but it's silly that I can't open the file from within the OneDrive app without it creating duplicates.

it's the same behavior for Foxit from the looks of it.

I hear you. Adobe hasn’t have its affairs in order since forever. It’s a wonder they’re still a thing these days.

Could you tell me what added benefit Adobe has over the build in PDF reader of OneDrive?

ssbtech

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
Is the "Copy to" an Adobe feature or is it an iOS issue?

As for the OneDrive internal reader, there's no bookmark support. Not a problem for small files, but when you have documents organized by bookmarks, or a 6,000 page service manual, you need bookmark support :)

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Is the "Copy to" an Adobe feature or is it an iOS issue?

As for the OneDrive internal reader, there's no bookmark support. Not a problem for small files, but when you have documents organized by bookmarks, or a 6,000 page service manual, you need bookmark support :)

Thanks for the clarification.

It’s an Adobe issue, they have the option to add features to share menu, which they neglected to do, either knowingly or unknowingly.

ssbtech

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
These odd nuts and bolts of the Apple platform are more frustrating than the limitations I dealt with on BB10 :/

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

These odd nuts and bolts of the Apple platform are more frustrating than the limitations I dealt with on BB10 :/

Welcome to Apple. But in all fairness, Apple has evolved a lot in the decade that I owned an iPhone.
Microsoft was much better and opener with their Windows Mobile platform than Apple ever will be, yet they have failed very hard, which led them to entirely drop it.

But like I said, this issue you have with Adobe isn’t Apple’s doing.

ssbtech

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
I asked this same question at the Adobe support forums.

Here's the answer I got:

It is a rule of iOS that each app has its own files. They cannot use the same file. Sending a file is not a way of sharing the same file but it does indeed send a new copy each time. Apple made it that way.

Apple's arrogance knows no bounds.

ssbtech

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
Horsecrap. Opening the file from my repository of files is what I should be doing.

When opening up the file through Adobe Reader, it calls upon the Files app to do the file browse. Unfortunately I have no ability here to sync files locally to the phone like I do with the OneDrive app. Is it downloading a fresh copy each time?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

Opening the file from my repository of files is what I should be doing.

When opening up the file through Adobe Reader, it calls upon the Files app to do the file browse. Unfortunately I have no ability here to sync files locally to the phone like I do with the OneDrive app. Is it downloading a fresh copy each time?

Watch your tone please. Once a file is opened it’s saved locally. Files that aren’t saved locally in the Files app have a cloud on them.
1c92278ce03cad07a5e470d8f50e71b3.png

ssbtech

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
None of my OneDrive files in the Files app have the cloud icon on them, and I certainly haven't opened that many of them.

I've got over 7GB of files in OneDrive, but the files app is showing 20KB of file storage used when I check on it in Settings.

Something doesn't add up there.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
None of my OneDrive files in the Files app have the cloud icon on them, and I certainly haven't opened that many of them.

I've got over 7GB of files in OneDrive, but the files app is showing 20KB of file storage used when I check on it in Settings.

I’ll admit that I solely use iCloud for important files. Dropbox for semi important and OneDrive and Google Cloud as well as Box for non-important stuff.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

I just checked and I see that cloud also on my Dropbox Files.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2