iPhone X Battery Problems & Battery Health

murtzjaffer

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Not too long ago, I posted about the battery issues that I was having. After a long session with the online support team where I completed every list of their checkpoints (disabling location, closing background apps, lowering screen brightness etc), last week I decided to go to the Genius Bar for another diagnostic.

We concluded that the fault might be my need to charge the phone a lot. I find that if I am near an outlet and my phone isn’t at at least 90%, then there is no harm in plugging it in before I go back out with it.

The Genius Bar believes this might have hurt the health of the battery and that it might be due to overcharging.

I went to Genius Bar last weekend and have been diligently monitoring my use and its impact on my battery life since. The Genius Bar said that although I have had the phone for about 7 months, my battery looks like I have had it for a year.

Also, when I went there last weekend, my battery health displayed at 90% operational and at peak performance. In the 5 days that I have passed my battery health has already dropped to 88%.

I believe it is time for me to get a new battery and not overcharge it.

Do you agree?

Thanks

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Not too long ago, I posted about the battery issues that I was having. After a long session with the online support team where I completed every list of their checkpoints (disabling location, closing background apps, lowering screen brightness etc), last week I decided to go to the Genius Bar for another diagnostic.

We concluded that the fault might be my need to charge the phone a lot. I find that if I am near an outlet and my phone isn’t at at least 90%, then there is no harm in plugging it in before I go back out with it.

The Genius Bar believes this might have hurt the health of the battery and that it might be due to overcharging.

I went to Genius Bar last weekend and have been diligently monitoring my use and its impact on my battery life since. The Genius Bar said that although I have had the phone for about 7 months, my battery looks like I have had it for a year.

Also, when I went there last weekend, my battery health displayed at 90% operational and at peak performance. In the 5 days that I have passed my battery health has already dropped to 88%.

I believe it is time for me to get a new battery and not overcharge it.

Do you agree?

Thanks

I use my iPhone 7 Plus a lot and therefore have to charge it more often than those that use it less.

It’s only normal in your case that your battery health is at 88%.

Regarding battery change, I’d wait till November or early December to have it changed, as the price will go back to normal for a battery replacement on January 1st.

If you have it replaced now you will have to have it replaced again in a year which will hurt your wallet more. Just my 2 cents.

murtzjaffer

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I use my iPhone 7 Plus a lot and therefore have to charge it more often than those that use it less.

It’s only normal in your case that your battery health is at 88%.

Regarding battery change, I’d wait till November or early December to have it changed, as the price will go back to normal for a battery replacement on January 1st.

If you have it replaced now you will have to have it replaced again in a year which will hurt your wallet more. Just my 2 cents.

They have offered me a free replacement. This battery has given me a lot of problems. I really think it is faulty. Can you explain more about the prices reducing later?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
They have offered me a free replacement. This battery has given me a lot of problems. I really think it is faulty. Can you explain more about the prices reducing later?

Yes, I can.

There was a thing a few months back about Apple reducing the speed of iPhones with a battery with bad health.
People got mad and Apple apologized and went one step further by lowering the battery replacement cost from $89 to $29 till the end of the year.

This means that January 1st, 2019 the price will rise back to $89

dflyer

Oct 25, 2017
Visit site
I have not been impressed with my battery life on the x. I too am in a similar position a you since I am usually by some sort of charger either Wireless or car charger. But what is one supposed to do?? If you are a heavy user the battery will get low. I usually am plugged in to something. Seems like a double edged sword.

montecito79

Oct 12, 2017
Visit site
iPhone X Battery Problems & Battery Health

I bought X recently and batery is better then iPhone 8. Nothing special but better.

Is there a way to have batery precentage image in upper right corner?

Last edited:

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I have to say that I used a smart battery case for my iPhone 6s almost constantly, which was charging the phone's battery 100% of the time (it was rare when the phone's battery was below 100%) from December 2016 (when I had the battery replaced under the warranty program) to March 2018. I upgraded to an X then, but still have the 6s. Battery health is 98%, so I'm not sure that it's true that constant charging is necessarily bad for a battery. (Especially with the stock charger and cable.)

That said, Apple may know better than me. And I have read that it's better to try to keep a battery between about 40% and 80% as much as you can, though of course in practice that's nearly impossible.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
The battery health in my iPhone X was down to 97% after a couple of months of use, which was terrible. I found it to be quite ridiculous for a battery to degrade by 3% in just a couple of months and sold the X on Swappa. I'm using an S9+ right now because the batteries in Samsung phones only degrade by 5% after TWO years!

If Samsung can figure out batteries, why can't Apple? Apple has way more cash than Samsung.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The battery health in my iPhone X was down to 97% after a couple of months of use, which was terrible. I found it to be quite ridiculous for a battery to degrade by 3% in just a couple of months and sold the X on Swappa. I'm using an S9+ right now because the batteries in Samsung phones only degrade by 5% after TWO years!

If Samsung can figure out batteries, why can't Apple? Apple has way more cash than Samsung.

97% isn't bad after a couple months! That figure will fluctuate some. Always check it at 100% charge.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site

My wife’s X is a launch day phone. 7 months old and it’s at 97%. My X is 3 months old. Only because I sold my 64 GB and bought a 256. Mine is still at 100%.

murtzjaffer

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Do you all agree that 88% battery life is bad after getting phone on opening day is bad? I am deciding whether to take Apple up on their offer to replace the battery for free given the issues I have had

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Do you all agree that 88% battery life is bad after getting phone on opening day is bad? I am deciding whether to take Apple up on their offer to replace the battery for free given the issues I have had

I can’t speculate about that.
It all boils down to how you have been using your iPhone since you got it. If your use case is similar to normal use, 88% is not normal, but if you’ve used it twice or three times as much than other people, then yes, 88% is quite normal.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

88% is not bad enough to need a new battery. It still has a lot of life left. My 6s Plus is at about 70%. Still using it. I'll need a battery soon though.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

I say yes, that seems abnormal, and I’d suggest taking Apple up on the offer of a new battery.

murtzjaffer

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Heading to Apple store now. Shockingly battery health has already to dropped to 87% in the couple of days I made the initial post with limited charging

murtzjaffer

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi all. Battery is now replaced. I am now going to now try to only charge it once per day and only at 100 percent to see if things improve.

murtzjaffer

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi all. I am noticing a MAJOR difference after getting battery replaced. The biggest is how I have been now limiting my charges. I only charge it when the battery level is down to 10% or less and this experiment has resulted in the battery Iasting much much longer. Clearly the culprit was my tendency to overcharge the last battery.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi all. I am noticing a MAJOR difference after getting battery replaced. The biggest is how I have been now limiting my charges. I only charge it when the battery level is down to 10% or less and this experiment has resulted in the battery Iasting much much longer. Clearly the culprit was my tendency to overcharge the last battery.

To optimize battery life, I wouldn't let the phone go quite so far down. Instead, I'd charge when it got between 20-30%. Ideally you want the battery between about 20-80% or so. It is roughly that last 20% (and some would say 30-40%) -- draining the battery when it is below 20% or charging the battery when it is above 80% -- where the battery degrades. The issue, using the last 20% of battery, and charging after 80%, generates significantly more heat in the battery, and heat is what degrades the battery.

Of course, since it is expected that you'll charge to 100% (to maximize battery capacity), the phone manufacturers slow how fast the phone charges somewhere around 70% -- it is why with fast charging you get up to about 70% in a half hour, then the last 30% takes another half hour or more. Slowing the charge rate, as the battery gets full, decreases the heat and helps protect the battery. The issue is, on the lower end, people would be upset if they slowed down the release of power, which would require throttling the phone, so there is typically little protection for the battery when it is at a low charge.

murtzjaffer

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
It is a world of difference currently. My phone with same usage but employing a new charging strategy is now giving me 15-17 hours without requiring another charge. Incredible! I am so glad I changed the battery and started charging less during the day. What a difference. Can’t even believe it is the same phone

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods