Downloading iOS 12 public beta ?

Anastayja1

Trusted Member
Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
I have it on my X and haven’t had any issues. Text isn’t aligned at the top in the Notification Center but that’s about it. All my apps work and no issues with GPS. I don’t use car play so can’t speak on that. You could always give it a go and if you don’t like it go back to 11.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I have it on my X and haven’t had any issues. Text isn’t aligned at the top in the Notification Center but that’s about it. All my apps work and no issues with GPS. I don’t use car play so can’t speak on that. You could always give it a go and if you don’t like it go back to 11.

Eh reverting back is a hassle I rather just avoid. Might give it a go though.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Doesn’t really help since I only own an iPhone . Just curious who’s using it on their main device and is happy with it ?

I have been running the betas since dev beta 1 released the day of WWDC. I’m very happy with it and I run it on my daily driver.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
The main thing is.. are you okay with potential bugs that could break functionality or not? If yes then install the beta.

If not the don't.

Simple as that.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Doesn’t really help since I only own an iPhone . Just curious who’s using it on their main device and is happy with it ?

I do. I only have an Watch series 3 and an iPhone 7 Plus, both running betas.

Except for a few annoyances it’s safe to run betas on daily drivers.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Like others, I’ve been running the dev beta on my iPhone (daily driver) since day one without problems. Originally, the Skype app didn’t work, but that’s par for the course in regard to some 3rd-party apps and beta OSes, but it now works with the latest beta.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I installed the Public Beta when it became available on Monday. I've personally not had any serious issues; the one issue I have noticed is, when trying to call using a voice command in my car while the phone is connected to Bluetooth, the first time I attempt to call it for some reason never attempts to dial out. It sits for 15 seconds or so and then I get a "call ended" message from my car. The second time I attempt the call it goes through fine.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I’ve been running it on the X for a couple days now. No major issues. I few app crashes and some minor bugs here and there with iMessage and Siri, but no more than I was having with iOS 11. iOS 12 feels a little snapper maybe. I think Apple made good choices with this update. Nothing revolutionary, but the changes are very welcome. Notifications are much better. I still prefer android notifications, but at least now I actually feel like they are useful in iOS. I’m still playing with some of the other changes but overall I can say it was worth rolling the dice on a beta.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I downloaded it on my iphone X and haven't noticed any issues. Much more smooth than IOS11 betas were (and even IOS11 public launch).

wolfee48

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
Installed on my X and Air 2. Both are my main devices and loving it. I feel it is better than iOS 11.

Only issues I had/have are:

Email notification was lagging or none at all. Resolved by toggling mail off and then back on in settings.

Text alignment on is off a bit on control center screen. This can be seen on my X but on my iPad Air 2 it is aligned correctly.

Screen time works but it doesn’t seem to have full functionality yet in terms of parental control. It doesn’t seem to sync settings to my sons 5s. Yes his device has beta 12 installed. So either his device will not fully support that function or we wait and see with future releases.

Other than that it is running smoothly.

I recommend 12, but remember there is always a risk. Overall most are pleased with it with only a very few that reported errors.

Should you choose to go with it, perform a encrypted back up if you need to roll back.

Doug B

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I’m running the public beta as well on both my iPhone X and iPad Pro. No issues to report on either device.