Switching to iPhone X....... Maybe

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I have one more question if I may ask it.

Is Apple good with updating last years phone with newer software from this years phone OS? Say if I would get the iPhone X today it can be said that the new iPhone Xs if that's what it is called, wouldn't have any great new feature the iPhone X wouldn't receive?
I know Apple does incremental releases with big changes being made every two years.
I am highly leaning towards moving to iPhones. The Android RCS texting debacle is probably the last straw. I know with iMessage Apple doesn't need to rely on any carriers for it.
Thank you.

There will always be features that only the newest devices will have, but Apple still supports the iPhone 5S, which is now 5 years old, which is a good thing.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I have one more question if I may ask it.

Is Apple good with updating last years phone with newer software from this years phone OS?

Considering iPhones as far back as the 5S - yes, 5 YEARS old!! - (came out in Sep 2013) are getting iOS 12... I'd say that's the answer to your question.

Vega007

Jan 24, 2018
Visit site
I have good news! You don't need iMessage or Facetime to communicate with Apple users. Have you heard of, for example:
- Telephone calls
- SMS
- WhatsApp
- Email

All of these work on iPhones! It's worth checking them out if you know someone who is not an Apple user.

Very true. You know, this whole iMessage thing is ridiculous. My gf has an android phone and we text just fine between the two. Sure, iMessage is nice and convenient but hardly a requirement. There are plenty of ways to communicate with Android users if you don't want to be lazy.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
I have good news! You don't need iMessage or Facetime to communicate with Apple users. Have you heard of, for example:
- Telephone calls
- SMS
- WhatsApp
- Email

All of these work on iPhones! It's worth checking them out if you know someone who is not an Apple user.

This!

Plus Google Duo works just as well as Facetime.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Very true. You know, this whole iMessage thing is ridiculous. My gf has an android phone and we text just fine between the two. Sure, iMessage is nice and convenient but hardly a requirement. There are plenty of ways to communicate with Android users if you don't want to be lazy.

I won't say it's ridiculous. The ability to circumvent message length and size restrictions via iMessage is awesome. And for it to all take place within the same app rather than requiring users to download other apps to communication is great. Sure, it's POSSIBLE communicate via text just like it's possible to walk to the store. But why not drive if possible? Lol.

rebretz000

Mar 20, 2017
Visit site
So I've made up my mind and I will be getting a new iPhone this fall. Now I just have to play the waiting game until it's released and the order would ship.
Then I will slowly migrate to other Apple products. Get a MacBook and then HomePod. I'll keep my Android TV boxes just for being able to sideload apps.

Vega007

Jan 24, 2018
Visit site
Well when I said ridiculous, I mostly meant how people seem to draw a very hard line in the sand when it comes to android vs apple with imessage. As an iphone user, obviously I know how great imessage is. But to be like "well, I can't go back to Android because of imessage" is just silly to me. And ridiculous lol.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
- Telephone calls
- SMS
- WhatsApp
- Email

Telephone calls ? Umm on sprint it uses CDMA. FaceTime audio uses LTE.

SMS is bad even Google is trying to get rid of it . Plus iMessages is encrypted

WhatsApp ummm nobody in my circle uses it and asking them to download a special app is a pain

Skype look at what I said for WhatsApp

Facebook messenger. Same as WhatsApp

Email - what we are in the Stone Age ?

Daniel_Burgin

Jul 1, 2018
Visit site
If you know people who have iOS then it is worth it just for FaceTime and iMessage you don’t need loads of third party apps if you know people with iOS hth

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I just switched back to an X. Tried an S9 for 3 weeks. Was great until the novelty wore off and I missed the smoothness and fluidity of iOS. Also the consistency and aesthetic of how iOS looks.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
asking them to download a special app is a pain

I never understood this argument. People use cellular devices to literally download apps. That's what iDevices are used for. What's one more app to download? I mean, if an Android user is in your circle and you want to FaceTime them, what's so difficult about downloading Google Duo on your phone or on your friend's device? It takes seconds to download and a minute to open up an account. It's pretty easy, just like every other app out there.

This isn't an attack on you personally. It's just that I see this argument being used and people act like it's very difficult to download an app and use it when it's really not hard at all.

SABRIAN70

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
I know what you mean. I know my mom's iPhone works well with her Google Home mini it's mainly the macbook/laptop issue for me.
It's not that I planned on being invested in Android, all of my Google home devices I received for free so I couldn't pass that up.
I've mainly been looking on switching because of Apple's security. I really like that they encrypt everything where as Google doesn't.
And personally I think the iPhone X may be the best looking phone ever manufactured and I may be the other person who loves the notch.
Thank you for your response.

Do it ! Get the X .... It's only money and when the X2 comes out in September get that too !

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Don't get the X now. The new Plus is rumored to come in at 999, and 5.8 X at 899. So used X from last year will only go down in value even more IMO.

The 6.1 LCD model might be 699 or 799 per said rumors.

Mark1112

Jul 15, 2018
Visit site
I’ve had both Android and Apple devices, more maintenance on android devices. More cleaning and rebooting. However, Android devices are more versatile for personal use. I had Apple devices for years switched to Android, for a couple of years. Now I have both IPhone and an Android tablet. Eventually I will replace the tablet with an iPad. It’s all about personal choices. If I was invested with Android, I would probably stay. But the majority of my data is stored in IOS. Movies, music, etc. That being said. iOS is easier to use, more stable, and more reliable. That’s my experience. Hope it helped

rebretz000

Mar 20, 2017
Visit site
I'm definitely waiting on the iPhone 11 if that's what it will be called. I'm hoping that T-Mobile's new low frequency bands will be supported. I plan on migrating into the Apple ecosystem for the most part. I'll keep my Android tv boxes and Chromecasts but get some MacBooks and Homepods.

Daniel_Burgin

Jul 1, 2018
Visit site
To the op I’m no in the Mac ecosystem me and the wife have an iPhone and an iPad the kids have android tablets I have 2 or 3 android phablets kicking around that I use now and again and the mother-in-law is an android user also have chrome cast and fire tv and sky q all works well together hth

Vega007

Jan 24, 2018
Visit site
I never understood this argument. People use cellular devices to literally download apps. That's what iDevices are used for. What's one more app to download? I mean, if an Android user is in your circle and you want to FaceTime them, what's so difficult about downloading Google Duo on your phone or on your friend's device? It takes seconds to download and a minute to open up an account. It's pretty easy, just like every other app out there.

This isn't an attack on you personally. It's just that I see this argument being used and people act like it's very difficult to download an app and use it when it's really not hard at all.

I agree with you for sure about this. But to play devil's advocate, people I know that don't like downloading lots of apps because either a) they are almost out of storage room or b) they feel like more apps means more clutter which means slowing their phone down.
If it is neither these issues, then you can chalk it up to digital laziness.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I agree with you for sure about this. But to play devil's advocate, people I know that don't like downloading lots of apps because either a) they are almost out of storage room or b) they feel like more apps means more clutter which means slowing their phone down.
If it is neither these issues, then you can chalk it up to digital laziness.

I try to keep my apps to a minimum to reduce the number of home screens. I don't always like using folder because that's just more taps to get to an app. An app drawer would be nice so I could have a nice clean home screen.

Vega007

Jan 24, 2018
Visit site
I try to keep my apps to a minimum to reduce the number of home screens. I don't always like using folder because that's just more taps to get to an app. An app drawer would be nice so I could have a nice clean home screen.

Sure, everyone has different ways to handle that. I like to use only the first three rows on my home screen with the apps I use the most (along with the static bottom 4 of course). That gives 12 apps from home screen. One the next screen is where I keep all my folders, and yeah its not as ideal as the way Android works where you can just swipe up from the bottom and there are all your apps, but I find it keeps clutter to a minimum. I only have the two screens, and my home screen isn't cluttered so I can actually see my wallpaper as well.

Oh, and the Siri App suggestions widget is actually pretty handy as well as that gives me 8 more apps with a swipe right at my use and oddly enough has the right app I want at that time 9 times out of 10.

vhl71

Feb 26, 2018
Visit site
I ended up switching from pixel 2 to iPhone X and has been very happy so far. Mainly because how good the phones looks and feels in my hand. It is by far the best look g phone in the market, IMO.
When I was using Android I would always keep trying various phones. While there are some great hardware choices I was never happy with Android itself.
Pixel 2 was very good. Loved the google assistant and camera. But aesthetically its not the best looking phone. I still miss the hose features of pixel 2 in my iPhone X. But I don’t think I’ll go back to Android now.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR