OLED screen that much better?

jj2339

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
So I got an x months ago and in general have loved it. Right size, face ID works well for me...hate the notch when watching a movie trailer in widescreen, but that's my only complaint.

I also was thinking how much better the screen was than my old 7+. When I saw the hdr videos on YouTube I was wow'd and really wanted an OLED tablet now. But then I noticed I could play those YouTube videos in hdr in same quality on my old iPad air 2, and they looked just as good.

So my question is, aside from sharpness, is the OLED screen that much better? Would an all OLED iPad give a better experience?

Not an X dissatisfied post, just curious what exactly as a benefit do we have from the OLED vs old school screens, I was really surprised how good my iPad air looked playing that same video that wowed me on my X.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion, the OLED screen is indeed gorgeous, however, I didn’t have a problem with the retina displays on previous iPhone models.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm a little different in that I do notice the difference between my iPad Air 2 and iPhone X screens that way. I find the X screen to be incredibly crisp, clean, and clear with HDR. Not that my Air 2 is bad, it just doesn't come close for me.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Interesting thread and I'm definitely curious to read the different responses. Do chime in everyone.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
The lcd panels aren’t bad but they can’t reach the black levels like OLED panels can or micro led whenever it comes to market. Micro led is similar to OLED in that they can simply turn off parts of the screen ( sorry morning and don’t remember the correct term atm) which LCD can’t do. Micro LED uses inorganic materials unlike oled which uses organic materials which makes micro led better. Anyways the contrast ratio is better on oled and colors pop more as well.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don’t watch movies or a good deal of videos on my iPhone X. I mean, I use it all day long for email, texting, phone calls, checking calendar events, forum usage, reminders, etcetera. I suppose I’m more of a business user. From that perspective, the OLED display isn’t high on my wow list.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I don’t watch movies or a good deal of videos on my iPhone X. I mean, I use it all day long for email, texting, phone calls, checking calendar events, forum usage, reminders, etcetera. I suppose I’m more of a business user. From that perspective, the OLED display isn’t high on my wow list.

Reminds me a lot of how I use my iPhone as well. Not seeing where the OLED screen would be a huge difference or advantage using my iPhone, but I can see where an OLED iPad would be more useful to ME. I'm not sure if it would be worth it either to be honest....Movies are pretty much watch on my TV and Youtube videos or NFL games are not that important at watching for long periods.

Last edited:

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Count me as somebody who really doesn't notice much difference between Apple OLED and LCD panels. Even looking at an angle, both seem fine for me (OLED maybe a little worse at an angle, but I don't actually use my phone at an angle.)

So, of course, the thing that makes the OLED display better is that it can be put on a flexible display, as is used on the iPhone X, so the bottom of the display actually flexes backward internally to the connector so that the usable part of the display can be used to the bezel, without a "chin". I thought that I had read that this was the primary reason why Apple chose OLED ever LCD for the iPhone X. I believe that this was the advantage of OLED over LCD, with the drawbacks of slightly dimmer display in bright sunlight and slight off-color when viewed at an angle, as I said.

(That said, I actually wouldn't mind a tiny chin on the iPhone X, as it would make the reachability swipe down gesture easier with one hand.)

jj2339

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I'm a little different in that I do notice the difference between my iPad Air 2 and iPhone X screens that way. I find the X screen to be incredibly crisp, clean, and clear with HDR. Not that my Air 2 is bad, it just doesn't come close for me.

I had thought the same, until I saw that hdr video on iPad air 2, the one of the glass being blown, and made me rethink my original assessment that an OLED iPad would be amazeballs. The x and iPad air 2 both looked great. Also it made me wonder my original thought that the OLED on x was alot better, could just be confirmation bias? Although there are times though when I look at my X and find it does pop, like on my current wallpaper, and it looks great!

Not saying it's a bad screen or not an improvement, but my hunger for an OLED iPad has diminished since I did my comparison. I use my iPad for a lot of movies while travelling, and I read content on it or comics. The Galaxy tab S3 has a gorgeous OLED screen apparently that wow'd the reviewers...just not sure if I'd be happy with an Android tablet....and not sure if waiting for an apple OLED iPad would be that much better than what I have now.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Reminds me a lot of how I use my iPhone as well. Not seeing where the OLED screen would be a huge difference or advantage using my iPhone, but I can see where an OLED iPad would be more useful to ME. I'm not sure if it would be worth it either to be honest....Movies are pretty much watch on my TV and Youtube videos or NFL games are not that important at watching for long periods.

Exactly! In no way are we saying that OLED displays aren’t better than non-OLED displays. It’s just not as important to us on an iPhone than it would be on a different device like an iPad or a TV. It’s like when people told me that once I’ve viewed the Retina display on a MacBook, it would be difficult to view a non-retina display on a MacBook. That is not the case with me. I use a MacBook Air for work and a 2017 MacBook Pro at home every day and working with the non-retina MBA doesn’t bother me a bit. ...

Last edited:

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
In my opinion, the OLED screen is indeed gorgeous, however, I didn’t have a problem with the retina displays on previous iPhone models.

Our opinions mirror here. The X's screen is very, very nice and I do notice the differences between the X screen and, let's say, the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus. But I am still perfectly content with the 8 and 8 Plus screen if it's all I was using.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I think you are going to get a lot of different answers on this one.

Is it better? Absolutely. Is it worth the extra cash for the X? Absolutely not, in my opinion. Not for the X at the price it was originally sold at. I bought one so I’m not judging without using. Again, it’s my opinion. Others may tell you it’s absolutely worth it.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Is it better? Absolutely. Is it worth the extra cash for the X? Absolutely not, in my opinion. Not for the X at the price it was originally sold at. I bought one so I’m not judging without using. Again, it’s my opinion. Others may tell you it’s absolutely worth it.

The X does have other features to consider. But if the OLED screen was the only difference, no I would not pay more for it.

jj2339

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site

Agree now, and while I do like my X alot, it's not for the screen. I guess I had conflated the vibrancy of Samsung screens to OLED, when it is more about the tuning. For media, that vibrancy can be nice, although my galaxy S3 was overly vibrant.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
Apple makes really good LCDs, well not makes, but calibrates is I guess a better word. The OLEDs definitely look better, especially outside in bright light. I also enjoy the X more on the rare occasion I watch a movie or tv show on my phone. I always liked the LCDs on iPhones, but feel like the OLED is just that much better. There's a game I like called Nightgate. It's a puzzle meets Tempest kind of game that just looks amazing on the X.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
The X does have other features to consider. But if the OLED screen was the only difference, no I would not pay more for it.

Absolutely. I certainly wasn't implying that there were not other features that might make it worth it to someone. In my opinion, the screen itself doesn't make it worth it. In fact, I prefer the 8 Plus screen for just about everything for a number of reasons. That has more to do with screen size/ratio and the notch though.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Apple makes really good LCDs, well not makes, but calibrates is I guess a better word. The OLEDs definitely look better, especially outside in bright light. I also enjoy the X more on the rare occasion I watch a movie or tv show on my phone. I always liked the LCDs on iPhones, but feel like the OLED is just that much better. There's a game I like called Nightgate. It's a puzzle meets Tempest kind of game that just looks amazing on the X.

Agreed on your points although that notch still bothers me. I know it's old news. lol.

Thanks for the recommendation on the game. Just checked it out in the app store. Looks like it's worth the couple bucks.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711