OLED screen that much better?

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
Agreed on your points although that notch still bothers me. I know it's old news. lol.

Thanks for the recommendation on the game. Just checked it out in the app store. Looks like it's worth the couple bucks.

I really like it. Starts off easy, but gets pretty difficult.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Some good responses so far. Even though I'm not the OP, I really appreciate the information given so far. Keep'em coming. Thanks

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Please could you explain that comment?

OLED uses organic materials which makes it worse then Micro LED. Both are similar technology which lights up each pixel with its own light source which means it doesn’t need a backlight like LCD displays do which is why they have better blacks since they turn off.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
OLED uses organic materials which makes it worse then Micro LED. Both are similar technology which lights up each pixel with its own light source which means it doesn’t need a backlight like LCD displays do which is why they have better blacks since they turn off.

OK thanks for the explanation.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site

Why do organic materials make OLED worse than micro LED?

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Doesn’t last as long. Partly why burn in is easier with OLED displays vs LCD. With micro Led displays the display will have a longer life span generally speaking.

I'd argue that OLED lasts "long enough" for almost anyone in a cell phone. You'll still see people using the older Samsung Galaxy's (5 or so years old) and not feeling the need to upgrade. The issue some might actually notice is that the display will dim overtime; such as being harder to see in bright light. Though I think the burn in issue is the biggest thing people have problems with on an OLED.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I'd argue that OLED lasts "long enough" for almost anyone in a cell phone. You'll still see people using the older Samsung Galaxy's (5 or so years old) and not feeling the need to upgrade. The issue some might actually notice is that the display will dim overtime; such as being harder to see in bright light. Though I think the burn in issue is the biggest thing people have problems with on an OLED.

I agree but a fact is a fact and OLED doesn’t last as long as Micro OLED displays because of the fact it’s use of organic materials. Burn in isn’t really an issue considering I’ve had plenty of phones with OLED displays and never had an issue in regular use.

Samsung S2
s3
S4
Note 3
Note 4
Note 8
iPhone X

Never had an issue with burn in and didn’t do anything special to prevent it really. Just used my phone like I would and never gotten it . Just make sure you have the screen turn off at some point

Seneca09

Mar 10, 2018
Visit site
The question of whether OLED or LED is better, you just can not answer. The main difference lies in the illumination of the pixels and thus in the brightness. In short, one could say: With OLED, the pixels themselves shine, while an LED lcd screen always needs a backlight. Yes, according to construction principle but can also come out very good results. Me personally, I like OLED for the less battery consumption on any mobile device especially in dark mode. More battery equals more fun.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
The question of whether OLED or LED is better, you just can not answer. The main difference lies in the illumination of the pixels and thus in the brightness. In short, one could say: With OLED, the pixels themselves shine, while an LED lcd screen always needs a backlight. Yes, according to construction principle but can also come out very good results. Me personally, I like OLED for the less battery consumption on any mobile device especially in dark mode. More battery equals more fun.

What ? OLED factually produces better blacks period. It’s impossible for a LCD display to have better blacks because the technology prohibits it. OLED is factually better for battery life with everything else being equal. It’s also factually that As far as I know you need OLED for VR at least with Android devices with the google dream vr thing. Color saturation is a personal choice

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
What ? OLED factually produces better blacks period. It’s impossible for a LCD display to have better blacks because the technology prohibits it.

That's not necessarily true. An LCD display with local backlight dimming can also achieve excellent black levels.

No mobile device that I know of has local dimming, but it is used in some high-end TVs and monitors.

OLED is factually better for battery life with everything else being equal.

That's also not necessarily true. It depends what is on the display. OLED will generally use less power when most of the screen is relatively dark, and LCD will generally use less power when most of the screen is relatively bright.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Doesn’t last as long. Partly why burn in is easier with OLED displays vs LCD. With micro Led displays the display will have a longer life span generally speaking.

Hmm. This claim is debatable. The fact is that there are no practical micro-LED displays available for smartphones (or larger devices) today. They might become available in the future but we can't really say much about their longevity at this stage.

Longevity isn't really a problem with OLED screens today. They are likely to last at least as long as the rest of the device. Burn-in is potentially an issue though.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen