iPhone X permanent screen marks

carldw1

Jun 4, 2018
Visit site
Hi, I have just had an iPhone X for a month, I have tried my best to protect my beloved device, by using a Torro book style case, have used these cases before no problem with iPhone 6S. However, my new iPhone now has a smear on the screen running horizontally along the line of one of the card pouches which cannot be removed. I have managed to get Apple to agree to replace the screen, but just wondering is this an issue with pressure on OLED screens ? or if anyone else has had similar problems. I am now loathe to use case on my phone when it gets repaired in case same happens.

Any feedback appreciated regarding screens, marks or these book style cases in use with iPhone X ... thanks

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don’t use a case of any kind with my iPhone X, but hopefully those who do and use the case you referenced will reply soon.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Not surprising. You have plastic cards essentially rubbing back and forth against the coating on the screen. I don't think it's meant to withstand that.
If you're going to use the same kind of case, get a tempered glass screen protector. At least it'll be cheaper to replace that than a screen each time, but be prepared it will likely get marked up too.
I'm glad Apple is taking care of it for you.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I have had mine in leather Apple OEM case with a screen protector since day one and haven’t had any issues.

Vega007

Jan 24, 2018
Visit site
I used a Galaxy S7 for well over a year, no screen protector, and that screen was mint. I get an iPhone X and go without a screen protector and after a month I noticed a hairline scratch. I used a Google Pixel 2 for a while and that too got a hairline scratch within a few weeks.

Bottom line is if you want to make sure you get no scratches, use a screen protector. Otherwise, don't be surprised to see some sort of scratch eventually.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I’m glad they took care of this for you. I know the coating on iPhones since the 7/7 Plus is different than the phones before. I had a scratch on my 7 Plus & have an imprint on my 8, and never had anything on previous devices. My X is perfect. If you’re going to use a wallet case, I’d recommend the Apple Leather Folio. I bought my second one today. I don’t use screen protectors & I haven’t had any issues with marks on my screen from the case. I’m sure it’s due to how it’s made & the softness of the leather. Hope this helps!