Gestures have me Hooked

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
First all after coming from the Blackberry OS10 world, I have always loved the gesture and swiping concepts. I have noticed that since I have been using my iPhone X as my daily driver since the official launch day, I struggle when I have to go back to using a iPhone 7 or 8 series that utilize the home button for navigation.

I really noticed it today when I left my iPhone X at home and had to use my twin brothers iPhone 8 for most of the morning. I kept trying swipe to access some of the screens and functions and instead was forced to use the home button.

I don’t know if anyone else is going through the same thing as myself, but I think I am at a crossroads here and can’t go back to using a home button instead of using the gestures.

I discovered the same thing after using my Blackberry OS10 devices for a couple of years, but this is a little different. I think now that Apple had adopted the gesturing concepts, I am hooked and I am not going back.

I do switch between my Blackberry KeyOne and my iPhone X every other week because I will always have a soft spot for the brand and will always support the brand as long as they are around.

But, even with the KeyOne, I find myself trying to swipe to navigate though the screens and menus. Oh well, maybe it’s just me, but I thought I would share this with other folks out there who might be experiencing the same thing.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, every time I use my iPhone 8, I catch myself swiping up for the lock screen or swiping down to reveal the control panel. It's amazing how quickly we adapt....:cool:

MasterDarque

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, every time I use my iPhone 8, I catch myself swiping up for the lock screen or swiping down to reveal the control panel. It's amazing how quickly we adapt....:cool:

I find myself doing some of the same things on my iPad...
Maybe with the next iPad refresh that will actually be useful...

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I find myself doing some of the same things on my iPad...
Maybe with the next iPad refresh that will actually be useful...

Yeah, you're right. Before giving my iPad Pro to my youngest son, I do recall trying to swipe with it...(laughing)...I would be surprised if Apple didn't do away with the home button on the iPad very soon.

AugustVance

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The gestures are great. It’s the only thing I miss about the X. I have switched back to my 8plus and I am about to sell my X. There were a few things that I just couldn’t get over on the X and I finally released I was making myself like the phone versus just liking it. I’m sure Apple will fix the kinks this year and I will probably upgrade then. For now, I do miss the gestures and tap to wake but my 8plus is serving just fine.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I have both a X and an iPad with a home button and do not at all have an issue with using either one properly. I also have no issue when my wife asks to check her home button-ed iPhone. Of course even home button-ed iPads and iPhones have different uses and gestures (e.g., swiping on an iOS 11 iPad is quite different from an iPhone, not to mention the ability to have multiple apps showing at the same time.)

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
I don't mind the gestures on my X but I don't think navigating the UI by gestures is better or worse than using a home button or navigation buttons. I can switch between my Pixel 2 XL and iPhone X with no issues and I don't get confused navigating the UI on either. But everybody's different.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
The little time I had with an iPhone X I have to say the gestures were amazing. Best thing iPhone has done in a long time.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
I like tap to wake but that’s about it with the UI, hate it and don’t use FID, hate the swipe down control centre, no battery %, hate swipe up and hold for apps, battery is on par with 8 not plus, only reason I am keeping is for camera and 8 plus is too big 8 too small.

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I find the sensitivity of the screen on the x is not that good. I tried my sons 7 plus and the sensitivity is much better. I might make a trio to the genius bar to see if I have a defective device. My swipe gestures work good unless my hands are damp or wet.

Seneca09

Mar 10, 2018
Visit site
You’re absolutely right OP. I too have a soft spot for BlackBerry and loved gestures on OS10, which imo was a great platform but now iPhone really has taken gestures to another level. I love how quickly you can switch between apps on iOS and navigation with your finger or thumb and it is what Steve jobs envisioned from the beginning of the iPhone. When I’m using my iPad Pro, I keep swiping all over the place lol. Soon, iPad will have gestures and then we will be talking about something else that we are new too.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Loving the Gestures. As an old Palm Pre user I forgot how much I really missed it

I to have a painful time using my GFs 7plus.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I fell in love with gestures quickly, then again, I am used to gestures from using WebOS -- that was an OS that was ahead of its time. I also find it telling that Google is adapting gestures for Android -- it appears gestures are the future.

xtremeled

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I fell in love with gestures quickly, then again, I am used to gestures from using WebOS -- that was an OS that was ahead of its time. I also find it telling that Google is adapting gestures for Android -- it appears gestures are the future.

Yeah, It's nice to see that the 2 remaining OS's will finally catch up to something that was clearly better almost 10 years ago.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh