iPhone X and Android, who is carrying both?

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I decided to try the s9 as well. I picked one up yesterday, trying to transition myself away from iOS. I'm bored and find the X to have nothing special that warrants a $1,000+ price tag.

I haven't activated the s9 yet, just running it on wifi for now and getting it all set up. So far I find it quite stunning, it's very fast and like the feel in hand. What are your thoughts on battery life so far? That is my main concern...I didn't get the plus model because it is just too big for me.

Battery life is average at best. It’s not that bad but I’m running it on QHD (max res) and AOD. At first I was using it a lot - setting up Android, getting to learn in, in awe with the screen, etc. Made the battery nose dive. After 1st week it was much more stable. Would get about 14hrs with 15-20% left.

After 3 weeks I’m actually back on an X (yup went and bought another). The little things about Android started to bug me. I won’t get rid of the S9 just yet though. But I think I’m just an iOS guy for life.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
Battery life is average at best. It’s not that bad but I’m running it on QHD (max res) and AOD. At first I was using it a lot - setting up Android, getting to learn in, in awe with the screen, etc. Made the battery nose dive. After 1st week it was much more stable. Would get about 14hrs with 15-20% left.

After 3 weeks I’m actually back on an X (yup went and bought another). The little things about Android started to bug me. I won’t get rid of the S9 just yet though. But I think I’m just an iOS guy for life.

Wow your almost as impulsive as I am! Hey 3 weeks is a longer ride than I have ever been at. I go a couple of days and go back to the X, but think the S9 may have a hold on me.

My biggest concern is do I want to give up my ecosystem (iPhone, apple watch, iPad, iMac)

I did hear that the first week or so the battery isn't good and then it settles in and becomes more stable. I am also worried about some annoyances with Android that I never get on iOS (rogue apps, bloat, lack of updates, etc). What were your little annoyances?

They both have such different pros and cons, makes it hard to outweigh which is the way to go

tr1ad

Trusted Member
Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I feel both of your pain... I still fire up the S8+ to update apps etc and while playing around with it, I consider switching again...
I like the ability to customise somewhat and the photo quality
The screen is nicer even with basic setting while it may be taller than the X it seems easier to hold

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I still use Messages via SMS. The sticking point for many is iPhone to iPhone through iMessage. I’m sure Apple is aware and why Messages won’t be coming to Android anytime soon.

If iMessage and SMS are so unsatisfactory, why not switch to, for example, WhatsApp? Or one of the many other choices on the market? Most of them are free and the ones I have tried all work fine. I appreciate that means both parties installing WhatsApp, but thanks to the "App Store", that's not hard.

Maybe I'm missing something, but most of the world survives without iMessage. Amongst my friends and professional contacts, whether Apple or Android users, everyone, literally everyone, uses WhatsApp. This applies also to new people that I meet. You could argue that puts too much power in the hands of Facebook (who own WhatsApp), but at least it is cross platform, so you're tied to a single supplier.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
If iMessage and SMS are so unsatisfactory, why not switch to, for example, WhatsApp? Or one of the many other choices on the market? Most of them are free and the ones I have tried all work fine. I appreciate that means both parties installing WhatsApp, but thanks to the "App Store", that's not hard.

Maybe I'm missing something, but most of the world survives without iMessage. Amongst my friends and professional contacts, whether Apple or Android users, everyone, literally everyone, uses WhatsApp. This applies also to new people that I meet. You could argue that puts too much power in the hands of Facebook (who own WhatsApp), but at least it is cross platform, so you're tied to a single supplier.

We obviously live in two different worlds then because, out of all of the people that I communicate with on a regular basis (and there are quite a few), I know maybe a small handful that use WhatsApp. It’s to the point where I have never even installed WhatsApp because it offers little value to me. Again, I’m not arguing that there aren’t alternatives. I’m just saying that—from my experience—the general population is going to use whatever comes with the OS.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
We obviously live in two different worlds then because, out of all of the people that I communicate with on a regular basis (and there are quite a few), I know maybe a small handful that use WhatsApp. It’s to the point where I have never even installed WhatsApp because it offers little value to me. Again, I’m not arguing that there aren’t alternatives. I’m just saying that—from my experience—the general population is going to use whatever comes with the OS.

Sure, but isn't this a problem if it limits who you can communicate with, or restricts how you communicate with them?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Sure, but isn't this a problem if it limits who you can communicate with, or restricts how you communicate with them?

Not in my experience. SMS is an open standard and I’ve never had anyone I couldn’t message using either iMessage or SMS.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
One that I noticed that bothers me to no end is that ads are much more prevalent on Android. Not talking about malware that causes sudden ads to pop up right in the interface. Youtube for example. Not only does the Android version not have dark mode like the iOS version (why, I can't fathom). But there's a TON more ads in the Android Youtube compared to the iOS version. It's insane. And most free aps on Android seem heavier on ads than the free ones on iOS. Maybe it's my imagination. But definitely saw the difference in Youtube.

Glad to have an X in my hand again. Keeping the S9 for a bit just in case.

tr1ad

Trusted Member
Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

Definitely different worlds on my side as well..... Even folks I know with iPhones message with WhatsApp ...
Believe it's whatever is popular (well my side of the globe)

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Not in my experience. SMS is an open standard and I’ve never had anyone I couldn’t message using either iMessage or SMS.

Same here. I have never installed WhatsApp, have never had anybody who wants to communicate with me ask me to install it, and everybody I know - iOS, Android, or flip phone - can receive an SMS message from the Messages app, and can send me one that I will receive. And when I used Android, same deal. (And I don't seem to know any snobby people who dislike communicating with people with "green bubbles" either.)

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Same. All my friends use SMS (or iMessage if they have an iPhone). They just simply don't want to have to get all their friends/fam to install another app to do the same thing they have been able to do.

craigrn16

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site
Same. All my friends use SMS (or iMessage if they have an iPhone). They just simply don't want to have to get all their friends/fam to install another app to do the same thing they have been able to do.

This is why Google's strategy is kind of smart in that they want to make regular SMS like iMessage. Problem is carriers have to adopt the new standard as well as OEM's

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site

That’s why I never sold my X with me having a s9 plus.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

What were some of the things that bothered you other than the ads and no dark mode on YouTube? I've been fighting this "should I switch" itch for SOOOO long. It's kind of starting to interfere with my daily life. Haha!

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
What were some of the things that bothered you other than the ads and no dark mode on YouTube? I've been fighting this "should I switch" itch for SOOOO long. It's kind of starting to interfere with my daily life. Haha!

Hard to explain. Just the really small things in the UI. The consistency, clean look and quality aspect of iOS. The smoothness of it. Stuff just flows better.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site

I got bored with the s9 plus fast and already unloaded mine.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Hard to explain. Just the really small things in the UI. The consistency, clean look and quality aspect of iOS. The smoothness of it. Stuff just flows better.

I can appreciate that. I think that’s what would drive me nuts too.

I have so much other crap going on in my life that I don’t think it really makes sense to keep playing this game. I think I’m just an Apple/iOS guy at this point. It does everything I want aside from customization.

nakialjohnson83

Jan 16, 2018
Visit site
Honestly I use to carry a android phone with my iPhone but I narrow down just one phone for now lol
What I’m using is a iPhone X and a Samsung Galaxy Tab E.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711