iPhone X heat?

Caden Brewer

May 5, 2018
Visit site
Lately I’ve noticed my phone heating up, it will heat up just a bit using Facebook, safari, and messaging.

But I noticed it really warms up when plugged into my truck for carPlay, playing Spotify.

Just wondering is this normal or what is going on, it also seems warm in my pocket but I’m guessing just body heat and temperature warming up.

Thank you

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
re:

Phones Will tend the heat up a bit when exchanging a lot of data, or when running certain apps such as graphic intense games AND VR. How hot is it getting? Warm to the touch should be ok, constantly hot to the touch COULD be an issue. If you want to be through and make sure everything is ok, take the phone to the apple store for a diagnostic. Also there IS some stuff they can diagnose remotely so call Apple Support if you don't have a store near you. OR call either way as they can book you an appointment at the store if they can't help you. :)

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
re:

Just as @pkcable said a little warmth is normal. Your iPhone is constantly taking in data to stream music, transferring data to and from your infotainment system for CarPlay and—if that isn’t enough—it’s plugged in meaning your battery is charging. Now, if your iPhone is getting hot to the touch, that’s definitely a problem.

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
re:

I have heard that Car Play (and Android Auto it's Android brother) is definitely a source of heating up the phone. And a hot car interior to the mix and this can exacerbate the problem. Try to keep your car interior cool with the AC (or windows), and if the phone is getting to hot, give it a break and listen to regular radio. :)

Caden Brewer

May 5, 2018
Visit site
re:

Phones Will tend the heat up a bit when exchanging a lot of data, or when running certain apps such as graphic intense games AND VR. How hot is it getting? Warm to the touch should be ok, constantly hot to the touch COULD be an issue. If you want to be through and make sure everything is ok, take the phone to the apple store for a diagnostic. Also there IS some stuff they can diagnose remotely so call Apple Support if you don't have a store near you. OR call either way as they can book you an appointment at the store if they can't help you. :)

Thank you, I mean it gets noticeably warm it doesnt hurt, I know its charging plus playing music in a warm car that I try to keep cool. It cools down pretty quick once inside and sitting idle.

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
re:

Thank you, I mean it gets noticeably warm it doesnt hurt, I know its charging plus playing music in a warm car that I try to keep cool. It cools down pretty quick once inside and sitting idle.

Sounds like you are fine. :)

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
re:

Yeah normally if the vehcile is pretty warm the phone will warm up. My Pixel 2 XL does the same thing w/ Android Auto due to using navigation (GPS) + other things in there. It cools down when unplugged or when the vehicle finally cools down.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Also it generally seems to get warmest near the top right corner under the camera. Is that normal? It seems to get warm when doing things such as Safari, Facebook, or just general use.

Yeah it will warm up any time you use it and things cause the GPU + CPU to work. It is normal as long as it isn't getting super hot. A little warm is fine.

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Also it generally seems to get warmest near the top right corner under the camera. Is that normal? It seems to get warm when doing things such as Safari, Facebook, or just general use.

If you are concerned you can have Apple do a diagnostic. They CAN do it remotely to some degree, so you might want to call first. You can also take it to an Apple Store near you. :)

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Re:

If you want to rule out a hardware issue, perform a full encrypted backup using iTunes and then another backup in iCloud. Then factory reset the phone. Before reinstalling your backup install a fresh copy of Facebook and Spotify. Use those and see if your phone still gets hot up by the camera. If it does then make an appointment with your local Genius Bar.

Their diagnostic tools can get better readings when your phone has been wiped and set up as new, without any 3rd party apps being installed. As long as you have done your backup(s) they can reinstall it for you from iCloud before you leave your appointment.

Caden Brewer

May 5, 2018
Visit site
Re:

If you want to rule out a hardware issue, perform a full encrypted backup using iTunes and then another backup in iCloud. Then factory reset the phone. Before reinstalling your backup install a fresh copy of Facebook and Spotify. Use those and see if your phone still gets hot up by the camera. If it does then make an appointment with your local Genius Bar.

Their diagnostic tools can get better readings when your phone has been wiped and set up as new, without any 3rd party apps being installed. As long as you have done your backup(s) they can reinstall it for you from iCloud before you leave your appointment.

Its not super hot I can guarantee at least one site that makes it superhot is Magiquiz and I can confirm this on both my personal iPhone X and my work iPhone 7 facebook makes it warm on both,

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Its not super hot I can guarantee at least one site that makes it superhot is Magiquiz and I can confirm this on both my personal iPhone X and my work iPhone 7 facebook makes it warm on both,

OK, first of all... thank-you-very-much for getting me addicted to MagiQuiz. I had to test it out and see, and well, once I got there I kind of forgot all about this thread lol. ;)

I tested, for quite a long time, on both my iPhone 8 Plus and my iPad 9.7 2017 and neither of my devices even remotely began to get warm.

As for Facebook, I'm in over 20 crafting style groups and spend a great deal of time there on my iPhone when I'm in the car (I never drive) while listening to music from my phone via aux cable over the car stereo. My phone never gets hot. Not even warm.

Either you have some corrupt file issues or you have some hardware issues. The only way to rule out hardware problems is to run the device set up as new with fresh OS files installed. If your devices are still getting hot, then make an appointment at the Genius Bar. They'll factory reset your phone anyway, so you may as well do this before taking it in.

Caden Brewer

May 5, 2018
Visit site
Re:

OK, first of all... thank-you-very-much for getting me addicted to MagiQuiz. I had to test it out and see, and well, once I got there I kind of forgot all about this thread lol. ;)

I tested, for quite a long time, on both my iPhone 8 Plus and my iPad 9.7 2017 and neither of my devices even remotely began to get warm.

As for Facebook, I'm in over 20 crafting style groups and spend a great deal of time there on my iPhone when I'm in the car (I never drive) while listening to music from my phone via aux cable over the car stereo. My phone never gets hot. Not even warm.

Either you have some corrupt file issues or you have some hardware issues. The only way to rule out hardware problems is to run the device set up as new with fresh OS files installed. If your devices are still getting hot, then make an appointment at the Genius Bar. They'll factory reset your phone anyway, so you may as well do this before taking it in.

Thank you for your response. Sorry again I tested on my wife’s iPhone 8 and it gets warm as well. Do you have an adblocker installed? Doesn’t get warm with adblocker. Also my hands are very warm so that may be playing into all of this.

Also in the car it’s over CarPlay usb so it’s charging while playing music and running CarPlay/maps

Last edited:

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Also in the car it’s over CarPlay usb so it’s charging while playing music and running CarPlay/maps

As I think I said earlier CarPlay and it's Android buddy, Android Auto ARE pretty hard on a phone. Kills the battery AND might make it get warm. Using VR headsets generally has this affect also.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Thank you for your response. Sorry again I tested on my wife’s iPhone 8 and it gets warm as well. Do you have an adblocker installed? Doesn’t get warm with adblocker.

Yes, I do run ad blockers. There is nothing in this world that will annoy me more than an advertisement. I hate them with a fiery passion and will go to any length to get rid of them. Having said that, exposing your phone to heat like that will shorten the life of the hardware in the phone so since you know what is causing the heat you know what your choices are to keep your phone safe from harm.

Perhaps because I'm typically in the habit of running beta on my devices (although not on my phone in the last 2 weeks) I am also factory resetting my phone more than the average idevice user.... I just don't have an overheating issue with my devices. We always have CarPlay when we get rental cars for our vacations during the summer if we aren't driving our own car. While our car does not have CarPlay, I do use Belkin Rockstar adaptor to charge my phone while also having the aux cable plugged in. Otherwise by the time we get to where we're going I have a dead phone. We do use the maps as well. As for having hot hands... I'm the queen of hot-flashes (getting older sucks). 66F in the house and car and I'm still roasting, my poor husband freezes to death lol. Give it time, your wife will be overheating and you'll be freezing!

In a nutshell; with the exception of the ad blocker I don't use my phone differently than you do. No overheating issues here.

You can also try using your phone in the car without it being plugged in to the USB. Rule out the battery possibly overheating.

Caden Brewer

May 5, 2018
Visit site
Re:

Yes, I do run ad blockers. There is nothing in this world that will annoy me more than an advertisement. I hate them with a fiery passion and will go to any length to get rid of them. Having said that, exposing your phone to heat like that will shorten the life of the hardware in the phone so since you know what is causing the heat you know what your choices are to keep your phone safe from harm.

Perhaps because I'm typically in the habit of running beta on my devices (although not on my phone in the last 2 weeks) I am also factory resetting my phone more than the average idevice user.... I just don't have an overheating issue with my devices. We always have CarPlay when we get rental cars for our vacations during the summer if we aren't driving our own car. While our car does not have CarPlay, I do use Belkin Rockstar adaptor to charge my phone while also having the aux cable plugged in. Otherwise by the time we get to where we're going I have a dead phone. We do use the maps as well. As for having hot hands... I'm the queen of hot-flashes (getting older sucks). 66F in the house and car and I'm still roasting, my poor husband freezes to death lol. Give it time, your wife will be overheating and you'll be freezing!

In a nutshell; with the exception of the ad blocker I don't use my phone differently than you do. No overheating issues here.

You can also try using your phone in the car without it being plugged in to the USB. Rule out the battery possibly overheating.

All good thank you for your response. Honestly i think this mostly all in my head. I run IT so I have tried a few different iPhones. All of them warm up in my hand when using Facebook just underneath the camera no where else.

Caden Brewer

May 5, 2018
Visit site
This happens on 3 phones all using iOS 11.3 while browsing google on safari or using the Facebook app my iPhone X, iPhone 7 for work, and a spare 6s all get warm underneath the camera area. I know this is where the antennas and processor are but I’m just wondering if this is normal?

Temps have been around 75-80 here and my 7 gets super warm when using CarPlay in the car believe it’s 12 Watts. Also my external thermometer shows that back of the phone is roughly 88 degrees and internally probably 96.8, my ligaments are roughly 84 lol sorry don’t mean to be technical just trying to figure this out if I’m crazy.

I guess I’m just wondering if this happens to anyone? It’s not extremely hot usually and it may just be I have cold skin? Also what temp does the iPhone generally sit at if anyone knows.

Thank you

Sorry for the new topic I stared. Just wanting to know what normal temps are.

ghosty22

May 31, 2018
Visit site
This happens on 3 phones all using iOS 11.3 while browsing google on safari or using the Facebook app my iPhone X, iPhone 7 for work, and a spare 6s all get warm underneath the camera area. I know this is where the antennas and processor are but I’m just wondering if this is normal?

Temps have been around 75-80 here and my 7 gets super warm when using CarPlay in the car believe it’s 12 Watts. Also my external thermometer shows that back of the phone is roughly 88 degrees and internally probably 96.8, my ligaments are roughly 84 lol sorry don’t mean to be technical just trying to figure this out if I’m crazy.

I guess I’m just wondering if this happens to anyone? It’s not extremely hot usually and it may just be I have cold skin? Also what temp does the iPhone generally sit at if anyone knows.

Thank you

Sorry for the new topic I stared. Just wanting to know what normal temps are.

Also curious, my phone will heat up to almost 90 degrees Fahrenheit in an AC cooled room probably 70 degrees. I just want to know what is normal.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro