So much for the X being a "flop"

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
They slightly beat their own expectations when it comes to guidance, so I think that means something. I know it's not broken down my model for guidance, but if we know they sold at least what they thought they would in total, and that the X sold more than any specific model seems like they met expectations. At least to me.

According to basic logic your reasoning doesn't work. I can't speak for you, obviously.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Just curious, but why the disdain towards faceid and not having a home button? I’ll admit I was really skeptical about it at first but after picking up the X I find it to be much faster and more reliable than using the fingerprint scanner. The home button removal was actually done quite well also I’ve had zero complaints about the gesture integration since day one it feels very natural.

Definitely not consistently faster or more reliable in my experience. And I really wish the preview feature (where notifications display after looking at the X) worked more reliably as well.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
If you had the phone, after a week you'd likely not want to go back to a home button.

I agree with this but not because Face ID is so great, fast and reliable. I agree with this because I enjoy the screen and the size of the screen on the X. I wouldn't want to give that up in favor of a home button. But Face ID, in my experience, can really be improved.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I agree with this but not because Face ID is so great, fast and reliable. I agree with this because I enjoy the screen and the size of the screen on the X. I wouldn't want to give that up in favor of a home button. But Face ID, in my experience, can really be improved.

I'm not talking about FaceID, as much as about gestures. It seems like a lot of people have an issue with the gestures for the first day or two, missing the home button, but after a week have adapted to the point that they try to use gestures on their iPad, or an older Apple phone, and get frustrated when they have to use the home button. I also think it is very telling that a major part of Android P is adding gestures.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Some like gestures and some don't. I personally am not one of these folks that would learn the gestures and then suddenly like them. I like my Home button. I wouldn't even mind if the physical button was gone as long as there was some type of imitated button use under the glass.

The only gesture I use is when someone cuts us off in traffic. Otherwise I can do without them.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
So much for the X being a "flop"

Some like gestures and some don't. I personally am not one of these folks that would learn the gestures and then suddenly like them. I like my Home button. I wouldn't even mind if the physical button was gone as long as there was some type of imitated button use under the glass.

The only gesture I use is when someone cuts us off in traffic. Otherwise I can do without them.

Considering the iPhone 8 is likely the last iPhone with Touch ID, what are you going to do about future phones then?

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Re: So much for the X being a "flop"

Considering the iPhone 8 is likely the last iPhone with Touch ID, what are you going to do about future phones then?

I figure my 8 Plus will last me at the very least 5 to 6 more years. I'll worry about it when that time comes. I won't be going back to Android, ever. I'd rather just go without a phone at all.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site

I figure my 8 Plus will last me at the very least 5 to 6 more years. I'll worry about it when that time comes. I won't be going back to Android, ever. I'd rather just go without a phone at all.
That's a long time to expect out of a phone

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

Sure, but it looks like anybody who bought an iPhone 5s in 2013 could still have a viable phone in 2019 with iOS 12, so it's surely possible.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site

Sure, but it looks like anybody who bought an iPhone 5s in 2013 could still have a viable phone in 2019 with iOS 12, so it's surely possible.

Yeah it’s possible. As long as you don’t mind getting a new battery every couple of years.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

If it were any other brand I would agree. Apple builds solid phones that last and I take care of my things. Apple still supports the 5s after 5 years so I'm not worried. Getting a new battery when needed is not a problem. That comes with owning a phone.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

I got used to the gestures and loved them. It was a learning curve but I could definitely fly around the phone once I had it down.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Nothing worse on a forum than someone calling someone a Troll just for not agreeing with them.

Really? You're making this into a thing?

Let's play pretend here.

Me: I don't watch that show because I hate it.
Robertk328: I think you're wrong, you do like that show.
Me: Robert is being a troll.
You: Nothing worse on a forum than someone calling someone a Troll just for not agreeing with them.

The second sentence... trolling. Someone telling someone else that they're wrong about what they like/dislike /want/don't want is a form of trolling. He/she was doing nothing more than trying to annoy me into a debate. What I like or don't like or what I want or don't want, especially when my mind is made up and I didn't ask for opinions, is not open for debate.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice