So much for the X being a "flop"

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
So Apple just released their 2nd quarter results, and Tim Cook said that the X was the best selling iPhone every week in the March quarter. So much for it being a flop as so many like to say.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
So much for the X being a "flop"

So Apple just released their 2nd quarter results, and Tim Cook said that the X was the best selling iPhone every week in the March quarter. So much for it being a flop as so many like to say.

Great news all the way around, thanks for sharing.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, the good news still won't stop the naysayers and haters from claiming otherwise.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
I agree that the X isn't a flop. But it wasn't that hard for me to get one on release day. I didn't preorder one and I walked into a Best Buy and purchased a 256GB X like four hours after the store opened.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Are the actual numbers available? Selling 1 can make something a best selling item.

Not being negative, just being realistic.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Are the actual numbers available? Selling 1 can make something a best selling item.

Not being negative, just being realistic.
No actual numbers, but there are clues. Apple sold 52.2 million iPhones in the quarter. Apple said that "customers chose iPhone X more than any other iPhone each week in the March quarter" (and, incidentally, each week that it was available in the previous quarter after release in November.)

There are 8 total iPhone models that Apple sells (X, 8, 8+, 7, 7+, 6s, 6s+, SE). The average is 6.5 million units per device, so that plus 1 unit is the minimum that the X could be. But average selling price of all iPhones was $728, up from $655 a year ago, so we know that they sold a lot more X and a lot less SE.

I'm going to guess that the iPhone X is in the range of 10 million to 15 million units just for the quarter, or about 750,000 units per week to 1.15 million per week. It could be a little higher or lower, of course, but probably not much more or less. So, 13 million (or 1 million per week) is probably a good guess.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
This is why I ignore click bait "doom & gloom" articles for major brands. Most of the time it is just them hoping something bad happens so they get tons of clicks ... But once it comes out it always seems to be either OK or going well.

Sep 17, 2017
Visit site
I came from the 6,7, and 8plus over to the X. I can’t say that it was a flop but that’s what most people do....if it doesn’t live up to ones specific expectations, it’s labeled a “flop”. Oh well. The X still out of some good numbers even if they didn’t I still enjoy flopping mine out daily.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I think you people are missing the point. The iPhone 10 has sold fewer units than Apple were expecting. The fact that it was the best selling iphone is not surprising when you consider that there's actually two versions of most of Apple's other phones - i.e. the 8 and the 8+, 7 and 7+, etc.

Whether that makes it a "flop" I will leave for others to judge.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I think you people are missing the point. The iPhone 10 has sold fewer units than Apple were expecting. The fact that it was the best selling iphone is not surprising when you consider that there's actually two versions of most of Apple's other phones - i.e. the 8 and the 8+, 7 and 7+, etc.

Whether that makes it a "flop" I will leave for others to judge.

They slightly beat their own expectations when it comes to guidance, so I think that means something. I know it's not broken down my model for guidance, but if we know they sold at least what they thought they would in total, and that the X sold more than any specific model seems like they met expectations. At least to me.

Vega007

Jan 24, 2018
Visit site
I do think people wanted it to be a flop, if only to curb the trend of rising cell phone costs. Regardless, I am enjoying mine, and I see it more and more in the wild. While watching the NFL draft last week, I saw plenty of 10's all over the place.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
I agree that the X isn't a flop. But it wasn't that hard for me to get one on release day. I didn't preorder one and I walked into a Best Buy and purchased a 256GB X like four hours after the store opened.

It was not a flop, because most didn't want to walk into Best Buy and drop 1K on a device on release day. Anything lower in price your store would have been empty....

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox