iPhone X Was the Highest Selling Smartphone Worldwide in February 2018

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure people thought that about the 5s and 5c, as well.

With the exception that the 5c was essentially the hardware of the year-old 5 (with a 32 bit A6 vs the 64 bit A7 in the 5s) in a new case and was sold at the typical $100 lower price that last year's iPhone was sold. The 8 and X have the same A11 processor.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
There have been tons of articles online about Apple "killing" the iPhone X. I think the articles are looking at it incorrectly though. I don't think Apple will continue to sell the current X at a cheaper price point as they have older models up until now. That will be relegated to the 8/8 Plus. They'll just replace the X with a newer model, continue to sell the 8/8 Plus, and drop the current X.

When will they do that? If you mean in autumn this year, then that probably counts as "killing the iPhone 10 soon".

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
When will they do that? If you mean in autumn this year, then that probably counts as "killing the iPhone 10 soon".

But, at least to me, that isn't "killing the iPhone X," that is merely replacing it with a new model. Killing a model implies that it is going away completely rather than just being replaced by a new model, at least to me. I've not heard any journalist talk about how Lenovo is killing the Moto Z2, despite it is being replaced by the Z3 and won't be built anymore. The usage of the word "killing" is based on the whole idea that the X failed, and implies that a new Apple phone will be more like the 8 or 8 Plus rather than the new models being an update on the X, and a larger X.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
But, at least to me, that isn't "killing the iPhone X," that is merely replacing it with a new model. Killing a model implies that it is going away completely rather than just being replaced by a new model, at least to me. I've not heard any journalist talk about how Lenovo is killing the Moto Z2, despite it is being replaced by the Z3 and won't be built anymore. The usage of the word "killing" is based on the whole idea that the X failed, and implies that a new Apple phone will be more like the 8 or 8 Plus rather than the new models being an update on the X, and a larger X.

Exactly. Killing something is abruptly stopping the sales of a device without warning.

If Apple chooses to discontinue selling the iPhone X in preference of their newest flagship, that’s their choice. It will keep the ‘10 year anniversary iphone’ monicker going, otherwise it wouldn’t be anniversary phone, would it now?

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I seriously doubt if Apple will discontinue the X, I have actually seen more of them in the wild lately and I have converted serval folks from the plus and SE models to the X and they love the device.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I seriously doubt if Apple will discontinue the X, I have actually seen more of them in the wild lately and I have converted serval folks from the plus and SE models to the X and they love the device.

Yep,
I’m seeing the X everywhere for the past few months.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Exactly. Killing something is abruptly stopping the sales of a device without warning.

If Apple chooses to discontinue selling the iPhone X in preference of their newest flagship, that’s their choice. It will keep the ‘10 year anniversary iphone’ monicker going, otherwise it wouldn’t be anniversary phone, would it now?

OK, I see now that this thread was actually about people's sensitivity about the word "killing". We all agree that Apple might discontinue the iPhone 10 in the autumn, and if not then they certainly will discontinue it sometime later.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2