iPhone X Was the Highest Selling Smartphone Worldwide in February 2018

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I've been throwing shade on the "iPhone X sales are disappointing" in another thread, but I am just as skeptical - maybe more so - about this one. How is this data tabulated?

Again, maybe it's best just to wait for next week when Apple reports quarterly results. If they say that the iPhone X is meeting or exceeding sales we expected to see - well, they can't say that on a results call if it is not true. If they say nothing about how sales match expectations, then I think we can infer that they are not meeting expectations. Tim Cook and Luca Maestri know that this is a rumored issue and I think that they have to speak to it one way or the other.

eyesopen1111

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Apple is absolutely killing it. Most of the sky-is-falling BS is clickbait nonsense. Article after article shows Apple's dominance, from profitability to unit sales to design to desirability. It's crazy.

Apple also owns the kids, which means they likely own the future, too. "82 percent of teens surveyed said they owned an iPhone, and 84 percent said their next phone would be an iPhone." https://www.cnet.com/news/more-than-80-percent-of-teens-own-iphone-survey-says/

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
Again, maybe it's best just to wait for next week when Apple reports quarterly results.

This is best. You can find all kind of speculation on the internet, like...

"The iPhone X, Apple’s new flagship phone and heir apparent to the universal design of a smartphone, only accounted for 16% of the company’s smartphone sales so far in 2018, according to estimates (pdf) from analyst Consumer Intelligence Research Partners. The share of all new iPhones sold in the first quarter of 2018 has slid to 60%, down from 78% in 2015, the report stated. The new models include the iPhone X and the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus—meaning the old versions of iPhone are selling almost as well as their updated counterparts."

https://qz.com/1260811/apples-second-quarter-2018-analyst-expect-poor-iphone-x-sales/

Until they actually comment on the call, everything else just isn't factual...

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Quarterly results won't likely have it broke down to show how much is the X.

No, but, as I said, there should be a general statement of sales vs. expectations. The stock is selling off because analysts are nervous that they are not as good as expected. If there is no statement, I believe that analysts inference will be that sales are, indeed, lower than expected.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
Who has ever claimed that Apple will eliminate the iPhone 10 from its line up "anytime soon"?

There have been tons of articles online about Apple "killing" the iPhone X. I think the articles are looking at it incorrectly though. I don't think Apple will continue to sell the current X at a cheaper price point as they have older models up until now. That will be relegated to the 8/8 Plus. They'll just replace the X with a newer model, continue to sell the 8/8 Plus, and drop the current X.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
There have been tons of articles online about Apple "killing" the iPhone X. I think the articles are looking at it incorrectly though. I don't think Apple will continue to sell the current X at a cheaper price point as they have older models up until now. That will be relegated to the 8/8 Plus. They'll just replace the X with a newer model, continue to sell the 8/8 Plus, and drop the current X.

Finally someone that gets it. The iPhone X in its current state is an anniversary phone. Next year’s models will incorporate major aspects of it, with some small exterior and internal changes.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site

I have a slightly different prediction. Apple may drop the iPhone 10 if they need to make significant changes to reduce its cost for sale at a lower price next year, or to avoid competing with other new models. Or they may not. I have no strong opinion either way.

However, I would not be surprised if they drop the iPhone 8/8+, and most of the earlier models too. The 8/8+ are woefully uncompetitive at their current price compared to the competition - look at the small 16:9 LCD screens, wide bezels, old fashioned design, etc. I tend to believe the rumours suggesting that Apple will refresh the whole of the iPhone line up, down to the models costing around EUR 550 - which is the current price of the iPhone 6S. They will surely refresh the iPhone SE too - this is a 2012 industrial design!

Apart from the iPhone 10, Apple's iPhone line up looks pretty out of date and overpriced at the moment. This is like early 2014. Apple then caught up with the rest of the industry in late 2014 with the iPhone 6, which finally brought a screen size in line with the competition. This was wildly successful. I have a feeling they will do the same this year - only not just for the new flagship phones, but also much further down the range. If so, it might be a good time to buy Apple shares.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Finally someone that gets it. The iPhone X in its current state is an anniversary phone. Next year’s models will incorporate major aspects of it, with some small exterior and internal changes.

I've been saying on here since it came out in September, that it was an anniversary model. A Limited Edition Anniversary model.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
It will be surely supported for the next 3-4 years.

I'm thinking it will be supported at least 5 years. When I bought the iPhone 5s, with it upgrading to a 64-bit processor, I suspected that it would end up being supported longer than other iPhones. It appears, with rumors that the 5s will support iOS 12, that it will be.

With the iPhone X being, again, the first of a new design, I suspect it will continue to be supported longer than the iPhone 8 series, simply because in 3 or 4 years Apple will want to discontinue support of the older interface.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
With the iPhone X being, again, the first of a new design, I suspect it will continue to be supported longer than the iPhone 8 series, simply because in 3 or 4 years Apple will want to discontinue support of the older interface.

I'd say probably not, because iOS 14, 15, 16 (or whatever they will be called) will still need to support home buttons and Touch ID on today's iPads, particularly the Pros. I'd have a hard time believing that the X and 8/8+ won't be supported for an equivalent amount of time.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I'd say probably not, because iOS 14, 15, 16 (or whatever they will be called) will still need to support home buttons and Touch ID on today's iPads, particularly the Pros. I'd have a hard time believing that the X and 8/8+ won't be supported for an equivalent amount of time.

I'm sure people thought that about the 5s and 5c, as well.