I was have issues with iPhone X since i buy it notifications lock screen disappear i contact apple then Apple suggest to replacement with new one then apple sens me iPhone X with fedex yeaterday i received without box just the device with i put my sum card and i turn on the battary health 100% and i discover the iphone X is Refurbished!? after i checked the model number why apple send me a refurbished device not new one
    04-27-2018 07:40 AM
    I was have issues with iPhone X since i buy it notifications lock screen disappear i contact apple then Apple suggest to replacement with new one then apple sens me iPhone X with fedex yeaterday i received without box just the device with i put my sum card and i turn on the battary health 100% and i discover the iphone X is Refurbished!? after i checked the model number why apple send me a refurbished device not new one
    That's just their policy most of the time. If they have refurbs for replacement, that's what they use. It's much cheaper for Apple to refurb problem products to use as replacements instead of throwing away devices that might be an easy fix. Could you imagine how much waste that would produce if Apple just recycled what they could and trashed the rest?
    one_tech and libra89 like this.
    04-27-2018 07:58 AM
    Yes, to me it's frustrating if I pay $$$$ for a brand new device and then have issues with is and I get a refurb as a replacement. However, that refurbished replacement should still carry the remainder of the factory warranty and AC, if applicable.
    one_tech and sekelani like this.
    04-27-2018 08:20 AM
    Yes, to me it's frustrating if I pay $$$$ for a brand new device and then have issues with is and I get a refurb as a replacement. However, that refurbished replacement should still carry the remainder of the factory warranty and AC, if applicable.
    And at least it's refurbed directly by Apple themselves instead of a carrier or retail partner.
    04-27-2018 08:30 AM
    And at least it's refurbed directly by Apple themselves instead of a carrier or retail partner.
    Exactly.
    04-27-2018 08:31 AM
    It’s like that for any device issue. If you are having problems, they’ll send you a refurbished device most of the time. There are exceptions, of course.

The returbed devices should still have the same warranties and insurance as your previous device.
    one_tech likes this.
    04-27-2018 08:59 AM
    How can you tell that it's refurbished? Is it damaged?
    04-27-2018 09:43 AM
    How can you tell that it's refurbished? Is it damaged?
    One way is the serial model number. Refurbished devices have a serial model number that starts with F, while a new model starts with M. (A replacement device, such as a warranty swap at an Apple Store, starts with N.)

See How to Check if iPhone is New, Refurbished, or Replacement

(And with that I just discovered that my iPhone X that I bought brand new at an Apple Store starts with F. Hmmm....)
    Last edited by doogald; 04-27-2018 at 02:14 PM.
    one_tech, DarlaMack and libra89 like this.
    04-27-2018 10:12 AM
    One way is the serial number. Refurbished devices have a serial number that starts with F, while a new model starts with M. (A replacement device, such as a warranty swap at an Apple Store, starts with N.)

(And with that I just discovered that my iPhone X that I bought brand new at an Apple Store starts with F. Hmmm....)
    Yes, it appears Apple has changed it again. With the iPhone 7 it was allegedly a 5 in the first digit of the serial number. I'm not entirely sure why but Apple doesn't like people being able to see if a device is refurbished or not.
    04-27-2018 02:08 PM
    And, like a dope, I read that story I linked wrong. I've edited my post above - it is the MODEL number, not the SERIAL number. And my iPhone model number does start with M. [Whew!]
    04-27-2018 02:15 PM
    I would be a bit bothered by getting a refurbed phone, but I would also trust that since it came directly from Apple, that it would be fine. This did make me wonder however.... if someone goes to the Genius Bar at an Apple Store, and they replace the phone right there, it would be with a new model, wouldn't it? Food for thought....
    04-27-2018 02:45 PM
    Depends how old the original phone was, if it was within a month or so i would take nothing but a brand NIB, we have had a 5 and 6S replacement that came in plain white box and both were same as new condition.
    Funny though they send as a refurb bit still take new price hold on your CC till they get the original back.
    04-27-2018 05:05 PM
    I can’t say anything bad about apple all repairs from them are A1 in my book. All replacement devices have been nothing less than stellar and they all look brand new.
    Annie_8plus and one_tech like this.
    04-27-2018 07:09 PM
    I would be a bit bothered by getting a refurbed phone, but I would also trust that since it came directly from Apple, that it would be fine. This did make me wonder however.... if someone goes to the Genius Bar at an Apple Store, and they replace the phone right there, it would be with a new model, wouldn't it? Food for thought....
    From my experience it seems to depend on how new the model is and what refurbs they have in stock. Most stores seem to keep at least some stock of refurbs in each store. That being said, if the device is really new, they generally don't have any choice but to give out new devices. I've gotten both as replacements in store.
    one_tech likes this.
    04-28-2018 09:18 AM
    I think the new vs. refurb argument is more mental than anything else. If your device breaks after a month guess what, it’s used. A refurb is a used device that has been gone over by a technician. If it is covered by the same warranty then I don’t see an issue.
    one_tech, TwitchyPuppy and libra89 like this.
    04-28-2018 09:32 AM
    Yes, it appears Apple has changed it again. With the iPhone 7 it was allegedly a 5 in the first digit of the serial number. I'm not entirely sure why but Apple doesn't like people being able to see if a device is refurbished or not.
    Having worked in the wireless industry for 15 years I’ve seen people complain about receiving refurbished phones from the carrier and apple. I’m sure it’s to mitigate this.
    04-28-2018 04:04 PM
    I’ve gotten both depending on what they had in stock. Allegedly apple is now using the unlocked phone as warranty replacements so they only have to carry one SKU per storage capacity and color.
    04-28-2018 04:06 PM
    I think the new vs. refurb argument is more mental than anything else. If your device breaks after a month guess what, it’s used. A refurb is a used device that has been gone over by a technician. If it is covered by the same warranty then I don’t see an issue.
    I didn’t spend over $1,000 to get a refurbished device.
    04-28-2018 04:07 PM
    One way is the serial model number. Refurbished devices have a serial model number that starts with F, while a new model starts with M. (A replacement device, such as a warranty swap at an Apple Store, starts with N.)

Thanks for the link! What’s the difference between refurbished and replacement? I was under the assumption replacement devices were refurbished.
    04-28-2018 04:07 PM
    I didn’t spend over $1,000 to get a refurbished device.
    Your phone was only new the day you bought it, after that it was used.
    TwitchyPuppy likes this.
    04-28-2018 04:13 PM
    Your phone was only new the day you bought it, after that it was used.
    Like I said, I didn’t spend over $1,000 to get a refurbished device.
    04-28-2018 04:15 PM
    Like I said, I didn’t spend over $1,000 to get a refurbished device. I’m not sure why you’re unable to comprehend that.
    What does price have to do with it?

Have you ever bought a new car?
    If something happened to it 6 months later would they give you a new one?

Your used phone broke. They gave you another used phone. Pretty simple. You can state how much you paid all you want.
    TwitchyPuppy likes this.
    04-28-2018 04:17 PM
    What does price have to do with it?

Have you ever bought a new car?
    If something happened to it 6 months later would they give you a new one?

Your used phone broke. They gave you another used phone. Pretty simple. You can state how much you paid all you want.
    The price has everything to do with it. If I pay over $1,000 for a new phone I am entitled to get a new device as a replacement and not a refurbished device that someone else had problems with or broke.
    I’ve bought several new cars and haven’t had to have the whole car replaced nor have I heard of a manufacture replacing a car over a service issue. Therefor your attempt at an analogy is actually a red herring. Actually I do force the dealer repair shops and auto body shops to use OEM parts.
    When I worked in the wireless industry I’d say literally the same thing you’re saying now. However, now that I’m out I’m treating those in the wireless industry like I was treated when it comes to warranty replacement. The bottom line is that I paid over $1,000 for a new phone and having it replaced with a refurbished phone is unacceptable. It is especially unacceptable after apple forced me to replace a phone because they decided to throttle its processor.
    04-28-2018 04:25 PM
    The price has everything to do with it. If I pay over $1,000 for a new phone I am entitled to get a new device as a replacement.

I’ve bought several new cars and haven’t had to have the whole car replaced nor have I heard of a manufacture replacing a car over a service issue. Therefor your attempt at an analogy is actually a red herring. Actually I do force the dealer repair shops and auto body shops to use OEM parts.

When I worked in the wireless industry I’d say literally the same thing you’re saying now. However, now that I’m out I’m treating those in the wireless industry like I was treated when it comes to warranty replacement. The bottom line is that I paid over $1,000 for a new phone and having it replaced with a refurbished phone is unacceptable. It is especially unacceptable after apple forced me to replace a phone because they decided to throttle its processor.
    It sounds to me, respectfully, that you are more upset about how much you paid for a smartphone in the first place which I would totally understand. I myself would never pay that much (my choice) though I could. You keep repeating the $1000 figure as if it entitles you to royal treatment. Apple probably treats its customers better than any other tech company. I do understand your frustration with the throttling fiasco though as it has upset quite a few people.

I can say this, I have purchased quite a few refurbished smartphones over the years and never had a problem. They have been serviced by a technician so may be in better shape than a regular used phone. Price has nothing to do with it. Whether it costs $500 or $1000, a used phone is a used phone. If a company replaced every phone needing repair with a new one, they would be out of business in no time.
    TwitchyPuppy likes this.
    04-28-2018 04:35 PM
    It sounds to me, respectfully, that you are more upset about how much you paid for a smartphone in the first place which I would totally understand. I myself would never pay that much (my choice) though I could. You keep repeating the $1000 figure as if it entitles you to royal treatment. Apple probably treats its customers better than any other tech company. I do understand your frustration with the throttling fiasco though as it has upset quite a few people.

I can say this, I have purchased quite a few refurbished smartphones over the years and never had a problem. They have been serviced by a technician so may be in better shape than a regular used phone. Price has nothing to do with it. Whether it costs $500 or $1000, a used phone is a used phone. If a company replaced every phone needing repair with a new one, they would be out of business in no time.
    Respectfully your attempt at psychology and mind reading is unsuccessful and I hope you are in a different line of work. I have no problem spending $1,000 on a phone. Hell I’ve paid over $7,500 on a Swiss watch and expect the same treatment from them as I do apple. Actually I get that treatment from the Swiss company but that’s a different story. My frustration is that I’ve been lied to by apple with the whole throttling fiasco and was told that I “need” to replace the phone. Yes, need is in quotation marks because that is what the so-called genius at the genius bar told me. No other option was given and this was before it was revealed they were throttling the older phones. When apple treated me like that I’ve relooked the way I treat apple. To say it’s frustrating is an understatement. I’ve not kept up on the lawsuits against apple over it but I hope they side with the consumers.
    I’ve never had any issues with refurbished devices either and I’ve purchased several from several companies. But with the way apple treated me when they throttled my phone is inexcusable and that is why I have changed my outlook on this. Apple can afford to replace my phone with a new phone after the money they made from forcing consumers to upgrade their older iPhones. There is 1 thing that keep me with an iPhone and that is ForeFlight which is an Electronic Flight Bag app that I use and it is only available for iOS. It used to be iMessage that kept me with an iPhone, but I’ve been using Verizon Messages again on my Android device and Google Hangouts and they are just as good as iMessage in my opinion.
    one_tech likes this.
    04-28-2018 04:50 PM
94 123 ...