My experience with apple after my iPhone X issue

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
It depends on your insurance policy. If you are willing to pay extra, there are policies that offer a replacement with a new car, if your car is new. After the first year, these policies typically will give you the money to buy a car that is a model year newer than your old car. In this case, it is a terrible example since, as you note, insurance companies typically don't give you money for a new car if you total yours -- they only buy you a new car (give you enough money to purchase a new car) if you pay them much higher premiums.

Which is the type of policy I have! I am curious however as the Mercedes-Benz E550 4MATIC is no longer made what my car will be replaced with.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
If you crash your car you have no right to anything. You might have insurance which will replace your old car with a new car, but that's something you have chosen to buy separately. There's unlikely to be a law anywhere in the world that gives you a right to the free replacement of a car you destroy with a new car of the same type.

BTW, thanks for telling us the exact model of car you own (twice!). It was also good to learn about your collection of Swiss watches. I am hoping you will tell us about your house next.

My insurance policy says that I have a right to a new car so you're incorrect. Also I didn't chose to buy insurance. My state requires insurance so it wasn't a choice I made.

I never mentioned the manufacture of my Swiss watches, so assume what you want.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I spent $1,150 on mine, and think that after you've used it, it's no longer new. I would agree that within the first 30 days or so it should probably be new in a box and probably will be, but beyond that, a refurb is fine. The phone I was using wasn't new after having used it, and at least the replacement phone (we don't know for sure if it was refurbed or separately packaged boxes) has been inspected, and possibly a new battery installed. That phone maybe had less use than the one I sent in, and if it works, it's already better.

My total cost was $1,348 for the phone and AC+, plus tax. Spending that much on a phone entitles me to receive a new device as a replacement. This is especially true after the way apple forced me to replace an older phone when they failed to disclose their throttling of older devices.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
No. It's gets replaced with check for whatever the estimated value is of your used vehicle. If you've ever had a vehicle totaled, you'll wish it could be repaired.

How about you read my insurance policy, because you are wrong! I am unsure why I would wish it could be repaired if it were totaled. My only issue is that the Mercedes-Benz E550 4MATIC is no longer produced so I am unsure what it will be replaced with.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Apple refurbs always come with brand new batteries. As I mentioned previously I have yet to get a refurb that was distinguishable from a brand new phone in any way whatsoever. Seems like a fair deal to me too!

Do you have a source for that? I keep seeing people claim it has a brand new battery but nothing to back up their claim.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
At the replacement value of a new one of the same model or the value of what the car was when it was totaled? A 2 year old car is worth nowhere near what a brand new one is.

You're wrong because my insurance policy will replace it with a brand new car.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
My total cost was $1,348 for the phone and AC+, plus tax. Spending that much on a phone entitles me to receive a new device as a replacement. This is especially true after the way apple forced me to replace an older phone when they failed to disclose their throttling of older devices.

I didn't factor tax and AC or any of that stuff into my figures, so even better. I'm still ok with not getting a brand new device for a replacement. After I used it, it wasn't brand new anymore especially after the 30 day mark. At that point the only thing I'm entitled to is a replacement, but whether they choose a brand new in box is up to them. Having worked retail many moons ago, I know my attitude when I go in there has a lot to do with how well they help me.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Congratulations.

Not sure how I'm "wrong" when I asked you an either/or question. But whatever. :)

My apologies, I got your post and another's mixed up! They will give me the replacement value of a new one of the same model. Since the Mercedes-Benz E550 4MATIC is no longer produced, I am unsure if they will give me an E400 4MATIC or an AMG E43, both of which have a smaller engine, 3.0L compared to a 4.6L in my car. The AMG E63 has a 4.0L, so it would be an acceptable substitute. Since the AMG E63 is the closest to my E550 4MATIC, I would assume that is what they would replace it with despite the weaker engine.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
My apologies, I got your post and another's mixed up! They will give me the replacement value of a new one of the same model. Since the Mercedes-Benz E550 4MATIC is no longer produced, I am unsure if they will give me an E400 4MATIC or an AMG E43, both of which have a smaller engine, 3.0L compared to a 4.6L in my car. The AMG E63 has a 4.0L, so it would be an acceptable substitute. Since the AMG E63 is the closest to my E550 4MATIC, I would assume that is what they would replace it with despite the weaker engine.

Probably a Prius if you're lucky.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I didn't factor tax and AC or any of that stuff into my figures, so even better. I'm still ok with not getting a brand new device for a replacement. After I used it, it wasn't brand new anymore especially after the 30 day mark. At that point the only thing I'm entitled to is a replacement, but whether they choose a brand new in box is up to them. Having worked retail many moons ago, I know my attitude when I go in there has a lot to do with how well they help me.

You might be okay with not getting a brand new device as a replacement, but that doesn't mean others are. I see where you are coming from 1000% but I have seen people press the issue and get what they want. Hopefully the below paragraph explains my view a little clearer. Hell, they can keep the box and just give me a brand new phone and I will be happy.

Having spent 15 years in retail prior to a career change, you are correct. However, all too often I have seen people with an entitled attitude get what they weren't supposed to because they kept pushing the issue. Now that I am out of the game, I am going to do the same. The deciding factor for me was being forced to replace my iPhone due to the throttling which was not revealed to me. If apple can do that they can replace my iPhone X with a brand new model. Since I have been out of the game for a few months now, I am going to start treating wireless employees the same way I was treated for 15 years. I already started going into at&t stores to pay my bill with a credit card instead of doing it online or on the myAT&T app.

My intent is not to be an a**hole, but all too often I have seen customers get their way by being an a**hole and I vowed the day I left wireless retail is the day I do the same. However this issue with apple is deeper than that. The way they failed to disclose throttling my device and telling me something was wrong with my phone and I "need to get a new one" is, at best, shady sales tactics. Eventually I will be leaving iOS over that breech of trust but I am required to keep an iPad for work due to ForeFlight. When apple failed to disclose they were throttling older devices and, I am assuming, made money off the sale of new devices, they can afford to replace my 6 month old iPhone X with a new device. This reminds me that I need to exchange my iPhone 7 Plus before AC+ expires on it!

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Probably a Prius if you're lucky.

I refuse to drive a Prius, let alone own one! Judging by the political decals I see, I am of the wrong political party to drive a Prius. Plus, the manufacturing of the battery alone is more harmful to the environment than driving a regular gasoline vehicle assuming the articles I have read are accurate. Now a 2005 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer with a 6.0L PowerStroke would be an acceptable substitute!

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
My intent is not to be an a**hole, but all too often I have seen customers get their way by being an a**hole and I vowed the day I left wireless retail is the day I do the same.
I've let people walk away more angry than they came in for acting like that, and if that's your attitude when you go in, I'd send you home the same way. No reason to be an a-hole to someone who had nothing to do with your issue.

If I had vowed to be an a-hole, I would be embarrassed to admit it.

Last edited:

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I refuse to drive a Prius, let alone own one! Judging by the political decals I see, I am of the wrong political party to drive a Prius. Plus, the manufacturing of the battery alone is more harmful to the environment than driving a regular gasoline vehicle assuming the articles I have read are accurate. Now a 2005 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer with a 6.0L PowerStroke would be an acceptable substitute!

The articles you've read are incorrect. Basically, the factory they use as an example is around 100 years old and most of the damage was done decades ago, prior to more modern techniques and environmental protections. Additionally, hybrid car batteries are recycled and reused, not merely thrown out -- something they are also trying to do with cell phone batteries (but with somewhat less success). Last, the batteries in most hybrid cars today are lithium, including most new Prius models rather than the old Nickel Metal Hydride -- much the way phones have changed from NiMh and NiCd to Lithium over that same time period.

I will agree that the Prius has become something of a political statement, at least to many Prius owners. Though I find it stupid to restrict your choices just because of how other's view a product (much like some think iPhone's make a "statement" about the person). Having said that, I likely wouldn't own a Prius, if just because of how odd it looks and the lack of power.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Do you have a source for that? I keep seeing people claim it has a brand new battery but nothing to back up their claim.

https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/iphone#mn_p
189f27249d4b241626a9ad01ac652b57.png

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
In addition, Apple's warranty terms for iPhones: https://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/ios-warranty-document-us.html#mn_p

[FONT=&quot]If during the Warranty Period you submit a claim to Apple or an AASP in accordance with this warranty, Apple will, at its option:
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
(i) repair the Apple Product using new or previously used parts that are equivalent to new in performance and reliability,[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot](ii) replace the Apple Product with the same model (or with your consent a product that has similar functionality) formed from new and/or previously used parts that are equivalent to new in performance and reliability, or [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](iii) exchange the Apple Product for a refund of your purchase price.

As for the ludicrousness of comparing an expensive third party insurance policy that provides a replacement new Mercedes Benz with Apple's standard warranty - ignoring the fact that Daimler Benz does not have such warranty replacement terms in their standard warranty; that it may be possible to get third party insurance for iPhones that provides a new replacement phone for I am sure a hefty premium as well... :rolleyes:[/FONT]

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
In addition, Apple's warranty terms for iPhones: https://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/ios-warranty-document-us.html#mn_p

As for the ludicrousness of comparing an expensive third party insurance policy that provides a replacement new Mercedes Benz with Apple's standard warranty - ignoring the fact that Daimler Benz does not have such warranty replacement terms in their standard warranty; that it may be possible to get third party insurance for iPhones that provides a new replacement phone for I am sure a hefty premium as well... :rolleyes:[/FONT][/COLOR]

If I paid that much for a car, especially a Mercedes-Benz E550 4MATIC, I'd want it replaced. ;) I don't think I've ever seen someone in a tech forum say the exact make and model of their car until now.

I think you can get replacement for phone, but mostly people just break it somehow on purpose. Not recommended unless you don't have a conscience but some will feel entitled to it like Apple owes them or something.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
If I paid that much for a car, especially a Mercedes-Benz E550 4MATIC, I'd want it replaced. I don't think I've ever seen someone in a tech forum say the exact make and model of their car until now.

I think you can get replacement for phone, but mostly people just break it somehow on purpose. Not recommended unless you don't have a conscience but some will feel entitled to it like Apple owes them or something.

Everyone knows the S550 is the only real Mercedes anyway. Everything else is garbage.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I've let people walk away more angry than they came in for acting like that, and if that's your attitude when you go in, I'd send you home the same way. No reason to be an a-hole to someone who had nothing to do with your issue.

If I had vowed to be an a-hole, I would be embarrassed to admit it.

I hear you, but I have seen people get their way by acting less professional than I ever will. The last time I was in the apple store changing out my iPhone 7 Plus after the screen cracked there was someone next to me who had a basically destroyed iPhone and they told the rep that the condition of the phone has nothing to do with whatever was wrong with it. Since they were so close and loud I was able to ascertain that the phone was outside of the warranty period. They proceeded to curse out the employee and manager and they ended up giving in to the customers. So don't tell me being an a**hole doesn't get you what you want because I have plenty more examples where that came from.

I'm not embarrassed for standing up for what I believe is right. You should be embarrassed to put someone down for standing up for what they believe is right.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
The articles you've read are incorrect. Basically, the factory they use as an example is around 100 years old and most of the damage was done decades ago, prior to more modern techniques and environmental protections. Additionally, hybrid car batteries are recycled and reused, not merely thrown out -- something they are also trying to do with cell phone batteries (but with somewhat less success). Last, the batteries in most hybrid cars today are lithium, including most new Prius models rather than the old Nickel Metal Hydride -- much the way phones have changed from NiMh and NiCd to Lithium over that same time period.

I will agree that the Prius has become something of a political statement, at least to many Prius owners. Though I find it stupid to restrict your choices just because of how other's view a product (much like some think iPhone's make a "statement" about the person). Having said that, I likely wouldn't own a Prius, if just because of how odd it looks and the lack of power.

There are plenty of reasons that I would never drive a Prius. In no certain order:
  • Lack of AWD on a Prius
  • Lack of adequate engine power
  • Lack of adequate acceleration
  • Wrong political party
  • Looks like s**t
  • Lack of adequate ground clearance
  • Did I mention it looks like s**t?
  • Plenty more which I can't think of

You are right, I see plenty of people with an iPhone as a statement.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR