My experience with apple after my iPhone X issue

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
But if is refurbished the model number will begin with F, right?

When I brought my iPhone 6s in for warranty battery replacement, they told me that they planned to replace the battery, but if my phone was somehow broken during the repair process, it would be replaced with a new 6s.

“You mean refurbished?” I asked.

“No, not refurbished. New.”

I asked again, he insisted it was not a refurbished phone. I was a little surprised that they’d have a new one, as mine was an original 64 GB and by then they weren’t selling the 64 (it was only available new in 32 and 128 by then.). But, I thought it would be a new retail box, didn’t think about it being a separate stock of replacement units. (In the end it didn’t matter, my phone was fine.)
It’s not uncommon, even at the carriers. Once phones are phased out from sales, the unsold inventory often goes to the warranty department or at least in my experience.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
It’s a refurbished device for a reason. Someone else either had a problem with it or damaged it.

It can also be that somebody bought it and returned it within the 14 day window simply because they didn't want it - not because there was a problem with it. Apple cannot sell a returned device as new.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Also, my point/question about Apple warranty replacement is that lots of people say that the devices used are refurbished, but I have not actually seen something authoritative that says that for sure. Besides word of mouth, do we actually know that Apple uses refurbs as warranty replacements?

one_tech

Mar 3, 2018
Visit site
It can also be that somebody bought it and returned it within the 14 day window simply because they didn't want it - not because there was a problem with it. Apple cannot sell a returned device as new.

Exactly im happy with my replacement because the replacement much better than before i have no issue with my replacement even the battary and notifications lock screen working very well

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I paid for a new phone and expect it to be replaced with a new phone, much like my car. Anything else is unacceptable.

Cars are different. At least in the US, dealers and manufacturers do this because they are required to by law. Also, every lemon law I know allows the dealer to try to repair the car first, and have several tries at repairing. You do not get to demand a new car if there is an issue, only if repairs are not able to reinstate the value of the car and it is a substantial defect.

There are no such lemon laws for mobile phone devices. You are covered by the warranty terms that you agreed to when you bought the device. If you don't like it, buy another brand that only replaces warranted phones with brand new devices. Or, try to get lawmakers to create a cell phone lemon law.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Cars are different. At least in the US, dealers and manufacturers do this because they are required to by law. Also, every lemon law I know allows the dealer to try to repair the car first, and have several tries at repairing. You do not get to demand a new car if there is an issue, only if repairs are not able to reinstate the value of the car and it is a substantial defect.

There are no such lemon laws for mobile phone devices. You are covered by the warranty terms that you agreed to when you bought the device. If you don't like it, buy another brand that only replaces warranted phones with brand new devices. Or, try to get lawmakers to create a cell phone lemon law.

You must have missed where I said "If I total my Mercedes-Benz E550 4MATIC it gets replaced with a new car, not a used car." Therefor, your post about lemon laws are a red herring as they do not apply. What I can, and do, do when my car is in for repairs is to demand OEM products be used. I do the same at the body shop after a collision. Let's try again. I own several Swiss watches, one of which I paid over $7,500 for. Within the manufacture's warranty period it was not keeping time within COSC specs so I sent it back to the manufacture. The manufacture replaced the movement with a new, not refurbished, movement. When I buy a new product, I expect it to be replaced with a new product and not one that someone else had a problem with or damaged.

Last edited:

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site

While they can be a returned phone, the chances of that being true are less than receiving a phone that someone else had an issue with or damaged.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
You must have missed where I said "If I total my Mercedes-Benz E550 4MATIC it gets replaced with a new car, not a used car." Therefor, your post about lemon laws are a red herring as they do not apply.
So you are saying that as part of the standard warranty of the car, if you total a Mercedes, that Mercedes will just give you another brand new car? Or do you mean that you have insurance for the car? Because those are two different things.

What I can, and do, do when my car is in for repairs is to demand OEM products be used. I do the same at the body shop after a collision.
Apple uses nothing but their own genuine parts if they do any repairs or when they refurbish devices.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
The manufacture replaced the movement with a new, not refurbished, movement

If I understand that correctly they don't replace the entire watch, just the part that isn't working properly. That's what Apple does as well. They replace the defective part with a new part.
After the way apple forced me to purchase a new iPhone last year

I've seen you post this so many times in so many different places. Nobody ever forced you to buy anything. You and only you decided to purchase a new phone.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
So you are saying that as part of the standard warranty of the car, if you total a Mercedes, that Mercedes will just give you another brand new car? Or do you mean that you have insurance for the car? Because those are two different things.
Not really. When apple replaced damaged devices they are acting as the insurance company.

Apple uses nothing but their own genuine parts if they do any repairs or when they refurbish devices.
So? That isn’t replacing my $1,000 iPhone X with a new phone.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Let me remind everyone that discussions need to stay respectful in this forum. Feel free to debate and offer differing opinions but name calling will not be tolerated.
Those who this message is meant for know who they are.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Not really. When apple replaced damaged devices they are acting as the insurance company.

Incorrect. They are choosing to replace at their discretion in lieu of repair under warranty. It is warranty, not insurance. Insurance coverage of an automobile when totaled has nothing to do with warranty. It’s purely a value judgement by the insurance company. Almost always you are dealing with a third party insurance company that takes ownership of the salvaged vehicle and provides you the remaining value of the car optionally (though usually) minus deductible, and then you decide whether or not you buy a new car. If you have a policy that automatically provides a new car, that has nothing to do with Mercedes and everything to do with the insurance company and your policy.

I know that there are vendors that insure phones, like SquareTrade. I don’t think that they replace with a brand new phone in every case, though.

So? That isn’t replacing my $1,000 iPhone X with a new phone.

“What I can, and do, do when my car is in for repairs is to demand that OEM products be used.”

As others have said, that is still your old car with OEM parts. Still your old car, not a brand new car.

But my answer to that was that this is no different from Apple, which does the same when they repair devices. Replacement devices from what I understand are brand new. Refurbished devices (if Apple does use those for warranty replacement) are certified like-new and almost surely no older than your old, broken phone, but, like your broken car, repaired with OEM parts. Apple could chose to repair a broken phone, but, as we all know, smartphones, unlike cars, are for the most part unrepairable. Apple's warranty, which you accepted as part of the sale, gives them discretion to repair or replace the phone with a device that matches what you originally purchased or a better device if what you originally purchased is not available (at Apple's discretion but with your agreement in this case.)

(By the way, the fact that you can demand OEM parts from a third party body shop for an automobile but not for a smartphone, is, like automobile lemon laws, due to laws and regulations, not out of the goodness of the car manufacturer's hearts. They fought right to repair laws tooth and nail. Many people are pushing for similar right to repair laws for consumer packaged goods like smartphones.)

So, which is your replacement device based on the model number? Refurbished or Replacement?

Also, my last post to you, I strongly encourage you to buy a different brand phone, a brand which will do a warranty exchange with a brand new, non-refurbished or non-remanufactured, device. If that is what you require from your smartphone vendor, vote with your money. (If one exists.) For now, caveat emptor. It was your responsibility as the buyer to know the repair and replacement policies of the vendor. Apple publishes it and it’s easy to find if you look for it.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
It’s a refurbished device for a reason. Someone else either had a problem with it or damaged it. After the way apple forced me to purchase a new iPhone last year I’m not making excuses for them, like others here do.If I total my Mercedes-Benz E550 4MATIC it gets replaced with a new car, not a used car. I paid for a new phone and expect it to be replaced with a new phone, much like my car. Anything else is unacceptable.

If you crash your car you have no right to anything. You might have insurance which will replace your old car with a new car, but that's something you have chosen to buy separately. There's unlikely to be a law anywhere in the world that gives you a right to the free replacement of a car you destroy with a new car of the same type.

BTW, thanks for telling us the exact model of car you own (twice!). It was also good to learn about your collection of Swiss watches. I am hoping you will tell us about your house next.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Like I said, I didn’t spend over $1,000 to get a refurbished device.

I spent $1,150 on mine, and think that after you've used it, it's no longer new. I would agree that within the first 30 days or so it should probably be new in a box and probably will be, but beyond that, a refurb is fine. The phone I was using wasn't new after having used it, and at least the replacement phone (we don't know for sure if it was refurbed or separately packaged boxes) has been inspected, and possibly a new battery installed. That phone maybe had less use than the one I sent in, and if it works, it's already better.

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Mar 20, 2017
Visit site
You’re wrong! When I pay $1,000 for a new phone having it replaced with a refurbished device is unacceptable, especially after the way appletreated me last fall over having my phone throttled. If I total my Mercedes-Benz E550 4MATIC it gets replaced with a new car, not a used car.
No. It's gets replaced with check for whatever the estimated value is of your used vehicle. If you've ever had a vehicle totaled, you'll wish it could be repaired.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I spent $1,150 on mine, and think that after you've used it, it's no longer new. I would agree that within the first 30 days or so it should probably be new in a box and probably will be, but beyond that, a refurb is fine. The phone I was using wasn't new after having used it, and at least the replacement phone (we don't know for sure if it was refurbed or separately packaged boxes) has been inspected, and possibly a new battery installed. That phone maybe had less use than the one I sent in, and if it works, it's already better.

Apple refurbs always come with brand new batteries. As I mentioned previously I have yet to get a refurb that was distinguishable from a brand new phone in any way whatsoever. Seems like a fair deal to me too!

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
You’re wrong! When I pay $1,000 for a new phone having it replaced with a refurbished device is unacceptable, especially after the way appletreated me last fall over having my phone throttled. If I total my Mercedes-Benz E550 4MATIC it gets replaced with a new car, not a used car.

At the replacement value of a new one of the same model or the value of what the car was when it was totaled? A 2 year old car is worth nowhere near what a brand new one is.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
No. It's gets replaced with check for whatever the estimated value is of your used vehicle. If you've ever had a vehicle totaled, you'll wish it could be repaired.

It depends on your insurance policy. If you are willing to pay extra, there are policies that offer a replacement with a new car, if your car is new. After the first year, these policies typically will give you the money to buy a car that is a model year newer than your old car. In this case, it is a terrible example since, as you note, insurance companies typically don't give you money for a new car if you total yours -- they only buy you a new car (give you enough money to purchase a new car) if you pay them much higher premiums.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR