My experience with apple after my iPhone X issue

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Like I said, I didn’t spend over $1,000 to get a refurbished device. I’m not sure why you’re unable to comprehend that.

What does price have to do with it?

Have you ever bought a new car?
If something happened to it 6 months later would they give you a new one?

Your used phone broke. They gave you another used phone. Pretty simple. You can state how much you paid all you want.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
What does price have to do with it?

Have you ever bought a new car?
If something happened to it 6 months later would they give you a new one?

Your used phone broke. They gave you another used phone. Pretty simple. You can state how much you paid all you want.

The price has everything to do with it. If I pay over $1,000 for a new phone I am entitled to get a new device as a replacement and not a refurbished device that someone else had problems with or broke.
I’ve bought several new cars and haven’t had to have the whole car replaced nor have I heard of a manufacture replacing a car over a service issue. Therefor your attempt at an analogy is actually a red herring. Actually I do force the dealer repair shops and auto body shops to use OEM parts.
When I worked in the wireless industry I’d say literally the same thing you’re saying now. However, now that I’m out I’m treating those in the wireless industry like I was treated when it comes to warranty replacement. The bottom line is that I paid over $1,000 for a new phone and having it replaced with a refurbished phone is unacceptable. It is especially unacceptable after apple forced me to replace a phone because they decided to throttle its processor.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
The price has everything to do with it. If I pay over $1,000 for a new phone I am entitled to get a new device as a replacement.

I’ve bought several new cars and haven’t had to have the whole car replaced nor have I heard of a manufacture replacing a car over a service issue. Therefor your attempt at an analogy is actually a red herring. Actually I do force the dealer repair shops and auto body shops to use OEM parts.

When I worked in the wireless industry I’d say literally the same thing you’re saying now. However, now that I’m out I’m treating those in the wireless industry like I was treated when it comes to warranty replacement. The bottom line is that I paid over $1,000 for a new phone and having it replaced with a refurbished phone is unacceptable. It is especially unacceptable after apple forced me to replace a phone because they decided to throttle its processor.

It sounds to me, respectfully, that you are more upset about how much you paid for a smartphone in the first place which I would totally understand. I myself would never pay that much (my choice) though I could. You keep repeating the $1000 figure as if it entitles you to royal treatment. Apple probably treats its customers better than any other tech company. I do understand your frustration with the throttling fiasco though as it has upset quite a few people.

I can say this, I have purchased quite a few refurbished smartphones over the years and never had a problem. They have been serviced by a technician so may be in better shape than a regular used phone. Price has nothing to do with it. Whether it costs $500 or $1000, a used phone is a used phone. If a company replaced every phone needing repair with a new one, they would be out of business in no time.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
It sounds to me, respectfully, that you are more upset about how much you paid for a smartphone in the first place which I would totally understand. I myself would never pay that much (my choice) though I could. You keep repeating the $1000 figure as if it entitles you to royal treatment. Apple probably treats its customers better than any other tech company. I do understand your frustration with the throttling fiasco though as it has upset quite a few people.

I can say this, I have purchased quite a few refurbished smartphones over the years and never had a problem. They have been serviced by a technician so may be in better shape than a regular used phone. Price has nothing to do with it. Whether it costs $500 or $1000, a used phone is a used phone. If a company replaced every phone needing repair with a new one, they would be out of business in no time.

Respectfully your attempt at psychology and mind reading is unsuccessful and I hope you are in a different line of work. I have no problem spending $1,000 on a phone. Hell I’ve paid over $7,500 on a Swiss watch and expect the same treatment from them as I do apple. Actually I get that treatment from the Swiss company but that’s a different story. My frustration is that I’ve been lied to by apple with the whole throttling fiasco and was told that I “need” to replace the phone. Yes, need is in quotation marks because that is what the so-called genius at the genius bar told me. No other option was given and this was before it was revealed they were throttling the older phones. When apple treated me like that I’ve relooked the way I treat apple. To say it’s frustrating is an understatement. I’ve not kept up on the lawsuits against apple over it but I hope they side with the consumers.
I’ve never had any issues with refurbished devices either and I’ve purchased several from several companies. But with the way apple treated me when they throttled my phone is inexcusable and that is why I have changed my outlook on this. Apple can afford to replace my phone with a new phone after the money they made from forcing consumers to upgrade their older iPhones. There is 1 thing that keep me with an iPhone and that is ForeFlight which is an Electronic Flight Bag app that I use and it is only available for iOS. It used to be iMessage that kept me with an iPhone, but I’ve been using Verizon Messages again on my Android device and Google Hangouts and they are just as good as iMessage in my opinion.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Respectfully your attempt at psychology and mind reading is unsuccessful and I hope you are in a different line of work. I have no problem spending $1,000 on a phone. Hell I’ve paid over $7,500 on a Swiss watch and expect the same treatment from them as I do apple. Actually I get that treatment from the Swiss company but that’s a different story. My frustration is that I’ve been lied to by apple with the whole throttling fiasco and was told that I “need” to replace the phone. Yes, need is in quotation marks because that is what the so-called genius at the genius bar told me. No other option was given and this was before it was revealed they were throttling the older phones. When apple treated me like that I’ve relooked the way I treat apple. To say it’s frustrating is an understatement. I’ve not kept up on the lawsuits against apple over it but I hope they side with the consumers.
I’ve never had any issues with refurbished devices either and I’ve purchased several from several companies. But with the way apple treated me when they throttled my phone is inexcusable and that is why I have changed my outlook on this. Apple can afford to replace my phone with a new phone after the money they made from forcing consumers to upgrade their older iPhones. There is 1 thing that keep me with an iPhone and that is ForeFlight which is an Electronic Flight Bag app that I use and it is only available for iOS. It used to be iMessage that kept me with an iPhone, but I’ve been using Verizon Messages again on my Android device and Google Hangouts and they are just as good as iMessage in my opinion.

Mind reading, I believe, is an illusion. Attempting it on the internet would be quite a trick.

Heading out to dinner. Enjoy your evening. I’ve enjoyed our conversation.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Mind reading, I believe, is an illusion. Attempting it on the internet would be quite a trick.

Heading out to dinner. Enjoy your evening. I’ve enjoyed our conversation.

Indeed it is sir!

Have a great dinner and I did as well. Regarding your avatar, are you in Bavaria?

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the link! What’s the difference between refurbished and replacement? I was under the assumption replacement devices were refurbished.

It's my understanding that Apple Stores keep a stock of new devices not meant for original sale but meant for warranty replacement. They are not refurbished, previously owned devices, but are also not sold in the fancy boxes with graphics - they come in plain, brown (or is it white?) boxes.

one_tech

Mar 3, 2018
Visit site
Thanks all for replaying
This is 3 days now with a replacement there is no issue even the notification lock screen works perfect

haarle

Apr 29, 2018
Visit site
I have iPad pro 12 inch first gen after 2 year i have problems with my batterij. I go to Apple reseller in Belgium for fix the problem, i have recieved for 135 euro is whats the price of new batterij new not refurbished iPad pro.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
It's my understanding that Apple Stores keep a stock of new devices not meant for original sale but meant for warranty replacement. They are not refurbished, previously owned devices, but are also not sold in the fancy boxes with graphics - they come in plain, brown (or is it white?) boxes.

It may depend on country (based on local law) but in the US, while those replacement phones may be new they are typically (at least after the phone has been on the market for a month or two) refurbished phones. There is no way when you get the replacement, in the (I recall it being a white) small box, to tell immediately if it is a new or refurbished phone. It is my understanding that when Apple "fills" there replacement pipeline with refurbished phones, the "extra" phones are the ones then sold as a refurbished model.

And just to note, from what Apple has stated, the "refurbished" phones will appear to be new. They are given a new case (so there should be no scratches or scuffs) and battery, and I believe the screen is replaced if there are any scratches.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
It may depend on country (based on local law) but in the US, while those replacement phones may be new they are typically (at least after the phone has been on the market for a month or two) refurbished phones. There is no way when you get the replacement, in the (I recall it being a white) small box, to tell immediately if it is a new or refurbished phone. It is my understanding that when Apple "fills" there replacement pipeline with refurbished phones, the "extra" phones are the ones then sold as a refurbished model.

And just to note, from what Apple has stated, the "refurbished" phones will appear to be new. They are given a new case (so there should be no scratches or scuffs) and battery, and I believe the screen is replaced if there are any scratches.

But if is refurbished the model number will begin with F, right?

When I brought my iPhone 6s in for warranty battery replacement, they told me that they planned to replace the battery, but if my phone was somehow broken during the repair process, it would be replaced with a new 6s.

“You mean refurbished?” I asked.

“No, not refurbished. New.”

I asked again, he insisted it was not a refurbished phone. I was a little surprised that they’d have a new one, as mine was an original 64 GB and by then they weren’t selling the 64 (it was only available new in 32 and 128 by then.). But, I thought it would be a new retail box, didn’t think about it being a separate stock of replacement units. (In the end it didn’t matter, my phone was fine.)

itsnotmeitsyou

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
The price has everything to do with it. If I pay over $1,000 for a new phone I am entitled to get a new device as a replacement and not a refurbished device that someone else had problems with or broke.

When you bring your phone in to be replaced, you’re not bringing them a brand new phone. If they were to start repairing them instead, you’d be getting your [used] phone back, with the problem fixed. You’re getting more from a refurbished device, as the screen and battery are most likely new.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
When you bring your phone in to be replaced, you’re not bringing them a brand new phone. If they were to start repairing them instead, you’d be getting your [used] phone back, with the problem fixed. You’re getting more from a refurbished device, as the screen and battery are most likely new.

I have yet to receive an Apple certified refurb that is in any way distinguishable from a brand new unit in either form or function. As such, I’m not sure why anyone would fuss about getting a refurb rather than having individual parts swapped on their current device. There is literally no circumstance I can think of where receiving a refurb isn’t a better deal.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
You’re wrong! When I pay $1,000 for a new phone having it replaced with a refurbished device is unacceptable, especially after the way appletreated me last fall over having my phone throttled. If I total my Mercedes-Benz E550 4MATIC it gets replaced with a new car, not a used car.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I have yet to receive an Apple certified refurb that is in any way distinguishable from a brand new unit in either form or function. As such, I’m not sure why anyone would fuss about getting a refurb rather than having individual parts swapped on their current device. There is literally no circumstance I can think of where receiving a refurb isn’t a better deal.
It’s a refurbished device for a reason. Someone else either had a problem with it or damaged it. After the way apple forced me to purchase a new iPhone last year I’m not making excuses for them, like others here do.If I total my Mercedes-Benz E550 4MATIC it gets replaced with a new car, not a used car. I paid for a new phone and expect it to be replaced with a new phone, much like my car. Anything else is unacceptable.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods