My experience with apple after my iPhone X issue

one_tech

Mar 3, 2018
Visit site
I was have issues with iPhone X since i buy it notifications lock screen disappear i contact apple then Apple suggest to replacement with new one then apple sens me iPhone X with fedex yeaterday i received without box just the device with i put my sum card and i turn on the battary health 100% and i discover the iphone X is Refurbished!? after i checked the model number why apple send me a refurbished device not new one

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I was have issues with iPhone X since i buy it notifications lock screen disappear i contact apple then Apple suggest to replacement with new one then apple sens me iPhone X with fedex yeaterday i received without box just the device with i put my sum card and i turn on the battary health 100% and i discover the iphone X is Refurbished!? after i checked the model number why apple send me a refurbished device not new one

That's just their policy most of the time. If they have refurbs for replacement, that's what they use. It's much cheaper for Apple to refurb problem products to use as replacements instead of throwing away devices that might be an easy fix. Could you imagine how much waste that would produce if Apple just recycled what they could and trashed the rest?

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Yes, to me it's frustrating if I pay $$$$ for a brand new device and then have issues with is and I get a refurb as a replacement. However, that refurbished replacement should still carry the remainder of the factory warranty and AC, if applicable.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
Yes, to me it's frustrating if I pay $$$$ for a brand new device and then have issues with is and I get a refurb as a replacement. However, that refurbished replacement should still carry the remainder of the factory warranty and AC, if applicable.

And at least it's refurbed directly by Apple themselves instead of a carrier or retail partner.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site

It’s like that for any device issue. If you are having problems, they’ll send you a refurbished device most of the time. There are exceptions, of course.

The returbed devices should still have the same warranties and insurance as your previous device.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
How can you tell that it's refurbished? Is it damaged?

One way is the serial model number. Refurbished devices have a serial model number that starts with F, while a new model starts with M. (A replacement device, such as a warranty swap at an Apple Store, starts with N.)

See How to Check if iPhone is New, Refurbished, or Replacement

(And with that I just discovered that my iPhone X that I bought brand new at an Apple Store starts with F. Hmmm....)

Last edited:

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
One way is the serial number. Refurbished devices have a serial number that starts with F, while a new model starts with M. (A replacement device, such as a warranty swap at an Apple Store, starts with N.)

(And with that I just discovered that my iPhone X that I bought brand new at an Apple Store starts with F. Hmmm....)

Yes, it appears Apple has changed it again. With the iPhone 7 it was allegedly a 5 in the first digit of the serial number. I'm not entirely sure why but Apple doesn't like people being able to see if a device is refurbished or not.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
And, like a dope, I read that story I linked wrong. I've edited my post above - it is the MODEL number, not the SERIAL number. And my iPhone model number does start with M. [Whew!]

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I would be a bit bothered by getting a refurbed phone, but I would also trust that since it came directly from Apple, that it would be fine. This did make me wonder however.... if someone goes to the Genius Bar at an Apple Store, and they replace the phone right there, it would be with a new model, wouldn't it? Food for thought.... :)

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
Depends how old the original phone was, if it was within a month or so i would take nothing but a brand NIB, we have had a 5 and 6S replacement that came in plain white box and both were same as new condition.
Funny though they send as a refurb bit still take new price hold on your CC till they get the original back.

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I can’t say anything bad about apple all repairs from them are A1 in my book. All replacement devices have been nothing less than stellar and they all look brand new.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I would be a bit bothered by getting a refurbed phone, but I would also trust that since it came directly from Apple, that it would be fine. This did make me wonder however.... if someone goes to the Genius Bar at an Apple Store, and they replace the phone right there, it would be with a new model, wouldn't it? Food for thought.... :)

From my experience it seems to depend on how new the model is and what refurbs they have in stock. Most stores seem to keep at least some stock of refurbs in each store. That being said, if the device is really new, they generally don't have any choice but to give out new devices. I've gotten both as replacements in store.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I think the new vs. refurb argument is more mental than anything else. If your device breaks after a month guess what, it’s used. A refurb is a used device that has been gone over by a technician. If it is covered by the same warranty then I don’t see an issue.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Yes, it appears Apple has changed it again. With the iPhone 7 it was allegedly a 5 in the first digit of the serial number. I'm not entirely sure why but Apple doesn't like people being able to see if a device is refurbished or not.

Having worked in the wireless industry for 15 years I’ve seen people complain about receiving refurbished phones from the carrier and apple. I’m sure it’s to mitigate this.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site

I’ve gotten both depending on what they had in stock. Allegedly apple is now using the unlocked phone as warranty replacements so they only have to carry one SKU per storage capacity and color.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I think the new vs. refurb argument is more mental than anything else. If your device breaks after a month guess what, it’s used. A refurb is a used device that has been gone over by a technician. If it is covered by the same warranty then I don’t see an issue.

I didn’t spend over $1,000 to get a refurbished device.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
One way is the serial model number. Refurbished devices have a serial model number that starts with F, while a new model starts with M. (A replacement device, such as a warranty swap at an Apple Store, starts with N.)

Thanks for the link! What’s the difference between refurbished and replacement? I was under the assumption replacement devices were refurbished.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods