Using phone with gloves

Andrew Clark1

Mar 7, 2018
Visit site
Why after all these years and how expensive these devices are we can’t use them with any sort of regular gloves. You have to get special gloves. The Apple Watch works with gloves. Why can’t they do this to phones ? Any specific reason for this ?

Truman82

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
Competitors has that as a feature.
I think Apple has never implemented that on iPhones. Why? We can only guess.
I think the reason is that so few actually want that feature.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
The capacitive display on today’s smartphones requires a conductive touch (i.e. a human finger) in order to work. It’s an inconvenience from time to time but it delivers a MUCH more responsive and smooth experience than a resistive touch display.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Competitors has that as a feature.
I think Apple has never implemented that on iPhones. Why? We can only guess.
I think the reason is that so few actually want that feature.

I’m not aware of any current smartphones that use resistive touch. It’s not that Apple doesn’t want to implement resistive touch displays, it’s that it’s an older, inferior technology.

Truman82

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
I’m not aware of any current smartphones that use resistive touch. It’s not that Apple doesn’t want to implement resistive touch displays, it’s that it’s an older, inferior technology.

Yes resistive displays are old tech. But for example the Huawei p20pro has option to turn on the "gloves on"- mode.

xandros9

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Back when I had a Lumia 920, I noticed that it had a high-sensitivity option that was made specifically so that users can use the phone with gloves on. (no resistive technology here and with no discernible difference in normal non-glove use - it was a definitive feature of half the Lumia lineup then actually)

It sprung up elsewhere too in some Android phones but I haven't really been seeing it lately. I always thought it went the way of wireless charging - cool feature but often first to go when costs need to be cut.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711