Almost 6 Months on the X and not looking back.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I’ve had my iPhone X since launch day and haven’t had any issues aside from a noticeable decrease in battery life. It’s probably my last iPhone though after what I went through on my 6 when they throttled older phones. That’s just unethical business practices and only a fanboi would disagree!

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I’ve had my iPhone X since launch day and haven’t had any issues aside from a noticeable decrease in battery life. It’s probably my last iPhone though after what I went through on my 6 when they throttled older phones. That’s just unethical business practices and only a fanboi would disagree!

Out of curiosity, what percentage battery life does it say your iPhone X has now? Also, have you wirelessly charged your X frequently?

As for "unethical", I can't completely agree and I'm no fanboi. Apple was wrong in the way they did it; they should have been upfront with what was going on instead of hiding it. But they were trying to fix a valid issue -- the fact that those phones would unexpectedly shutdown if they needed more power than the battery could provide. I do believe they've done the right thing now, though, by showing the max battery charge (compared to a new battery) and warning you -- and giving you the choice, between throttling or risk of shutdown -- if your battery is under the threshold. I personally view it more as the Apple "Knows Best" attitude, where they choose what they think the right answer is rather than giving users a choice.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Who would want to choose "shut down my phone" over "keep it running slower until the power requirements settle down?" I don't get that?

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
Out of curiosity, what percentage battery life does it say your iPhone X has now? Also, have you wirelessly charged your X frequently?

Are you saying wireless charging screws with the battery? I have a feeling with my X it lasts longer if charged with cable/charger than after wireless.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Are you saying wireless charging screws with the battery? I have a feeling with my X it lasts longer if charged with cable/charger than after wireless.

Your battery capacity doesn’t change based on the method used to charge it and as long as you don’t use garbage Qi chargers you really don’t have anything to worry about with the health of your battery.
We actually have a thread about this:
https://forums.imore.com/iphone-8/398673-wireless-charging-bad-batteries.html

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site

As for "unethical", I can't completely agree and I'm no fanboi. Apple was wrong in the way they did it; they should have been upfront with what was going on instead of hiding it. But they were trying to fix a valid issue -- the fact that those phones would unexpectedly shutdown if they needed more power than the battery could provide. I do believe they've done the right thing now, though, by showing the max battery charge (compared to a new battery) and warning you -- and giving you the choice, between throttling or risk of shutdown -- if your battery is under the threshold. I personally view it more as the Apple "Knows Best" attitude, where they choose what they think the right answer is rather than giving users a choice.

I am at 95% of maximum capacity and currently at 50% battery life with under 1 hour SOT and my phone has been off the charger for about 5 hours. I use both wireless and wired charging about equally. However, having been in the wireless industry for 15 years I know that doesn't make a difference.

What apple did is the definition of "unethical" because there was no disclosure or option to not have the phone throttled. Actually I was forced to replace an older phone due to the throttling because it was essentially unusable. Their excuse is a flawed attempt at backpedaling and I am not buying the excuse. It wouldn't surprise me that the reason they did not disclose throttling older phones was to attempt to get more sales. Sure, now they did the right thing by giving the option to disable it but it is too little too late. You are right, this is the apple "Knows Best" attitude because they knew their sales wouldn't suffer and it would help entice customers to get rid of older devices. I know unethical sales tactics when I see them, and this is a perfect example of unethical sales tactics. The excuses people are making for apple are laughable, at best! I was always around chargers, so having my iPhone throttled was pointless. However, I am forced to stay with apple because of ForeFlight. If ForeFlight were available for Android I would have shot the rest of my apple devices at the range.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Who would want to choose "shut down my phone" over "keep it running slower until the power requirements settle down?" I don't get that?

I was always around chargers, so having my iPhone throttled was pointless. Besides the lack of transparency is unethical, at best. It is laughable the excuses fanbois are making for apple!

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Your battery capacity doesn’t change based on the method used to charge it and as long as you don’t use garbage Qi chargers you really don’t have anything to worry about with the health of your battery.
We actually have a thread about this:
https://forums.imore.com/iphone-8/398673-wireless-charging-bad-batteries.html

I didn't know there was a thread here about that but I have heard from my Samsung rep and other sites that capacity doesn't change based upon charging method.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
After only six months? Geez. The batteries in new Samsung devices are at 95% maximum capacity after two years!

Yes, it’s absurd! But I use my phone a lot. I’ve never had any issues with my Samsung products and they don’t throttle the processors on older devices.
Is there a way to check the capacity percentage on a Samsung phone?

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Why did you leave Samsung?
My ex-fiancée was deploying and refused to use Google Hangouts so we could talk while she was deployed. After that I started flying and they required me to use ForeFlight which isn’t available for Android. I’m using a Samsung Galaxy Note8 on my business line now after I replaced the phone that I replaced the phone they throttled. I actually like Samsung, but prefer stock Android.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
My ex-fiancée was deploying and refused to use Google Hangouts so we could talk while she was deployed. After that I started flying and they required me to use ForeFlight which isn’t available for Android. I’m using a Samsung Galaxy Note8 on my business line now after I replaced the phone that I replaced the phone they throttled. I actually like Samsung, but prefer stock Android.

Gotcha. I figured there had to be a good reason.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Gotcha. I figured there had to be a good reason.
I wouldn’t call going to an iPhone for my ex-fiancée a good reason, but using ForeFlight on my iOS devices while flying is a good reason. What about you? If you left Android, what were you using and why?

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I wouldn’t call going to an iPhone for my ex-fiancée a good reason, but using ForeFlight on my iOS devices while flying is a good reason. What about you? If you left Android, what were you using and why?

I have to admit, while I enjoyed Android and it’s open source, I grew bored of it. I got tired of playing around with everything. I wanted a device that was simple, worked as advertised and was supported for the long term.
I have had a different experience than you, mainly because I trust Apple more than Google. For instance, I believe the battery fiasco was an honest mistake that they should have communicated better. They are not perfect, but they provide me with an ecosystem I find fits into my lifestyle.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
Yes, it’s absurd! But I use my phone a lot. I’ve never had any issues with my Samsung products and they don’t throttle the processors on older devices.
Is there a way to check the capacity percentage on a Samsung phone?

Not that I know of.

I just picked up a coral blue S9+ today.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I have to admit, while I enjoyed Android and it’s open source, I grew bored of it. I got tired of playing around with everything. I wanted a device that was simple, worked as advertised and was supported for the long term.
I have had a different experience than you, mainly because I trust Apple more than Google. For instance, I believe the battery fiasco was an honest mistake that they should have communicated better. They are not perfect, but they provide me with an ecosystem I find fits into my lifestyle.
I like in Android where I can customize my home pages to display things I use frequently. I have the main screen and then to one side I have work items and the other side personal. What I like about that is I can put a shortcut for the same app or contact on both whereas iOS doesn’t offer this. I can’t say one is better than the other as it comes to personal preferences. But Samsung handled the Note 7 incident much better than apple handled the throttling incident.
I don’t trust either Google or Apple, they are both after the money. As for ecosystems my computer is a Mac, but I use Google products across all of my platforms because they offer a cross-platform feature that apple doesn’t. The whole thing that pisses me off about the throttling was they chose to hide it and not be open about it. I’m especially pissed when I was forced to replace my phone due to apple employees telling me that I “need” to get a new phone. If I knew that upgrading my phone to iOS 11 would throttle the processor rendering it unusable then I wouldn’t. The power saving claim doesn’t really apply to be because at my desk and in my car I have chargers, and I carry a battery pack in my bag so I’m always around power.