Almost 6 Months on the X and not looking back.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Interestingly enough, as hard as it was to switch to an Android phone with all other Apple devices (2015 iPad Pro, 2011 Macbook Air, 2010 Mac MINI and 2017 iMac), now that I'm back, it's easy to see why many Android users will say how far behind, cumbersome or restrictive iOS is. ...
I consider that a good thing because it’s what keep both brands different. If you want more functionality and choices, Android is the way to go. Those who don’t want or need all of what’s offered by Android, an iPhone may fit their needs perfectly. Know what I mean?

If I could use the Apple Pencil on iPhone X...that would be a step forward in getting what I had in the Note 8.

In my opinion, if Apple had made the Pencil compatible with the iPhone, more people would have purchased it and probably would be using it more.

Last edited:

TechnologyTwitt

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I consider that a good thing because it’s what keep both brands different. If you want more functionality and choices, Android is the way to go. Those who don’t want or need all of that’s offered by Android, an iPhone may fit their needs perfectly. Know what I mean?

I do know what you mean, but to me, it means that we need a hybrid, to be the best of both worlds. What we have right now is how Steve originally described the plastic rigid keyboards on "smart phones". What we need is another manufacturer to come along and give us the absolute best hardware and the software that can be as flexible or as rigid as we want.

In my opinion, if Apple had made the Pencil compatible with the iPhone, more people would have purchased it and probably would be using it more.

I totally agree with that.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Having more choices, just for the sake of having more, isn’t always a good thing.
For instance, I can’t stand newer vehicles where you have to adjust the heat, the radio, etc. on a screen. Very difficult (to me) to do while driving. The tactile feel of knobs is much easier.
All this stuff just raises prices. I think it’s good to have choices for every need. For me the iPhone fits those needs better.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site

Haha! Here, I’ll attempt to explain it better.

“Look, I just got a new smartphone that blows yours away. It can make toast!”. Now for this person that might be a valuable feature, but it doesn’t make it better for all. Some like features and some like simple and well designed.

Perhaps I should have used the word “features” in my first statement. That might have made it more clear.

In the end choice of different platforms is a good thing.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

Maybe to put it a different way: Einstein as he aged always wore the same type of clothes, a gray suit. When asked, he stated that it saved him time as he didn't have to think about what to wear everyday. For him, not having a choice was a good thing.

Now, contrast that with some social media darling that posts lots of photos on Instagram in various outfits. That person wants and even needs to have a wide variety of clothing choices.

People are different and require different things, so having the choice is a good thing; even if the choice is just to buy a bunch of the same gray suits to wear everyday.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Haha! Here, I’ll attempt to explain it better.

“Look, I just got a new smartphone that blows yours away. It can make toast!”. Now for this person that might be a valuable feature, but it doesn’t make it better for all. Some like features and some like simple and well designed.

Perhaps I should have used the word “features” in my first statement. That might have made it more clear.

In the end choice of different platforms is a good thing.

I mean, who wouldn’t want a smartphone that makes toast?

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
No issues here but I also use the note 8 and probably lean towards the note more than the X. The X is an amazing device and works great with my Apple eco system I own. One thing about Apple it just works!

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
No issues here but I also use the note 8 and probably lean towards the note more than the X. The X is an amazing device and works great with my Apple eco system I own. One thing about Apple it just works!

Well said, I also have as many apps in the Google play store as I do in the Apple App Store, I choose to use the X because of the integration between my iMacs and the X and as you stated, it just works.

bcandiolo

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
I’ve been tempted many times to purchase the X, but there are 2 things that would not tolerate, no fingerprint scanner and the notch.
Coming coming from the 7+, I wanted a smaller form factor, and against all recommendations and poor reviews, bought the 8

I’m so happy with it, my main concern was battery performance, but the 8 is awesome, using it regularly it is still at 60% left at 8pm. My day starts at 7am. My power bank is still in my backpack, never used in 5 months.
I will definitely purchase an iPhone X but it waiting to have both Touch and Face ID and if possible no notch

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I’ve been tempted many times to purchase the X, but there are 2 things that would not tolerate, no fingerprint scanner and the notch.
Coming coming from the 7+, I wanted a smaller form factor, and against all recommendations and poor reviews, bought the 8

I’m so happy with it, my main concern was battery performance, but the 8 is awesome, using it regularly it is still at 60% left at 8pm. My day starts at 7am. My power bank is still in my backpack, never used in 5 months.
I will definitely purchase an iPhone X but it waiting to have both Touch and Face ID and if possible no notch

Glad to hear you’re happy with your iPhone 8. The reviews I read seemed to focus on the iPhone 8 being just an incremental update to the 7, not really a bad phone. Yeah the glass back makes it a little more fragile but wireless charging is awesome and the A11 Bionic is a beast.
If you’re waiting for Touch ID and no notch to buy an iPhone X successor you might be waiting for a while. Nobody knows for sure but Apple seems all-in on Face ID. My guess: If they can incorporate Touch ID under the display at a quality high enough to meet Apple’s standards then they may make a change. I actually like Face ID a lot. It’s just very cool but at a slight cost of efficiency.

Last edited:

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site

It’s all about you being happy with your decision, I had an 8 plus before I upgraded to the X and it’s a nice device with great battery life.

My brother Don has a 8 and loves the device and it gets great battery life and even though he is not a tech savvy person, he loves his iPhone 8 and wouldn’t use anything else.

As far as the fingerprint scanner, the facial ID works well for me and since I am identical twin, it also works for my brother which is great since we live together and have stuck together our entire lives.

bcandiolo

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
…If you’re waiting for Touch ID and no notch to buy an iPhone X successor you might be waiting a very long time. Nobody knows for sure but Apple seems all-in on Face ID. My guess: If they can incorporate Touch ID under the display at a quality high enough to meet Apple’s standards then they may make a change. I actually like Face ID a lot. It’s just very cool but at a slight cost of efficiency.

Well that’s sad to hear, one of the most wonderful things Apple did (better than any other manufacturer) is its Touch ID. It is one of the most accurate and perfect pieces of hardware (compared to my wonderful AirPods). Can’t understand the reasonings on just removing it instead of adding the option and let the user decide, many people still miss the 3,5 jack but at least we can use headsets, wired or wireless, but IMHO Face ID is not a replacement to Touch ID

If the X is going into that direction, hope  will continue updating the 8, 8+ and SE great models

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site

Touch ID is likely dead. Face ID is the future and in my opinion, it’s better than Touch ID.

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
It’s all about you being happy with your decision, I had an 8 plus before I upgraded to the X and it’s a nice device with great battery life.

My brother Don has a 8 and loves the device and it gets great battery life and even though he is not a tech savvy person, he loves his iPhone 8 and wouldn’t use anything else.

As far as the fingerprint scanner, the facial ID works well for me and since I am identical twin, it also works for my brother which is great since we live together and have stuck together our entire lives.

Recently picked up a pixelbook and what a total disaster it was! Google even told me the issues I had were known ones with no fix! Picked up a Mack book 12” and all is good !

bcandiolo

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site

If I understand correctly Face ID opens the X for both, your brother and yourself?

Using Touch ID I can configure 1 fingerprint for my son, so if needed he can quickly unlock my phone

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
If I understand correctly Face ID opens the X for both, your brother and yourself?

Using Touch ID I can configure 1 fingerprint for my son, so if needed he can quickly unlock my phone

The one thing I miss, but I bet that Apple will somehow extend Face ID to allow a situation like this: allowing at least a second, trusted person to Face ID unlock the phone. (Maybe not with this model, though; maybe it will take a future, more capable processor?)

As for the notch... in less than 30 minutes, I stopped noticing it. It was really almost instantly. So little goes on up there that I just don't notice it. I kind of miss the battery percentage, but not really - I've just grown accustomed to estimating based on the icon. The one thing I miss is the icon that shows whether my BT headphones are connected - I always forget whether I turned them off or not as I walk back to the house after a run. Adding the flashlight to the lock screen, though, means that I almost never use the control center, so the CC being in the right ear is not an issue for me (the flashlight is about all I used it for before, and I had CC off unless the phone was unlocked always, so it always meant having my finger on Touch ID first - Face ID is a definitive improvement for that, for me anyway).

MasterDarque

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Regarding using FaceID, overall I’ve had a very good experience with it. The one drawback to it’s usage on the iPhone X for me, versus also having TouchID as well on it, is when I’ve had to wear a mask while visiting someone at the hospital in their room. If the X had TouchID on it as well FaceID, I’d be able to use that (TouchID) to unlock the phone with. With the X having FaceID only, I’ve been having to enter my passcode every time while wearing the mask to unlock it, as obviously with the mask on FaceID is working as intended and it won’t unlock. This is an outlier use case I know, so for the most part FaceID has been more than sufficient for me - including using ApplePay.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site

Yes, facial ID works for both my twin brother and myself. I also set up his iPhone 8 with separate fingerprints so both of us can unlock his phone.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Recently picked up a pixelbook and what a total disaster it was! Google even told me the issues I had were known ones with no fix! Picked up a Mack book 12” and all is good !

One of my clients also had a couple Google pixelbooks and hated the things and ended up buying a couple MacBooks as you did.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal