Are you going to run out and get a Samsung S9?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If you haven't seen the two videos hosted by Mr. Mobile and TechnoBuffalo in which they compared the iPhone X to the Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus, I recommend you take a look. You can view the iMore Blog link below.

https://www.imore.com/galaxy-s9-vs-iphone-x-mrmobiletechnobuffalo-collab

With that being said, Mr. Mobile declared the Galaxy S9 his choice. For those of you who depend on someone else's thoughts before making a purchase, will you now run out and buy the Galaxy S9?

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I ran out and bought a Moto E4 because I was Jones for Android. I'm impressed with the speed and quality of this phone. Never liked Samsung phones so that will be out of the question for me. The Moto was 69 bucks at Walmart what a deal.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I ran out and bought a Moto E4 because I was Jones for Android. I'm impressed with the speed and quality of this phone. Never liked Samsung phones so that will be out of the question for me.

Nice!....How long have you had your E4?

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I tried one. Gorgeous screen. But from my use, the battery was horrendous on the s9. I had to be a wall hugger. Outside of battery it was a great phone. Battery was a deal breaker though.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I tried one. Gorgeous screen. But from my use, the battery was horrendous on the s9. I had to be a wall hugger. Outside of battery it was a great phone. Battery was a deal breaker though.

How was the user interface? Was it fluid?

strikeIII

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
The note 8 is still the better device not much change in the 9.
IMO, the Note 8 camera and screen is still better. I don't think Samsung optimized both properly on the S9+ pictures in low light were real soft and lacked detail. They are definitely over processing the pictures when compared to my Note 8. I have both and went back to the Note 8 as my Primary Android device until they improve the S9+ with an update.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
IMO, the Note 8 camera and screen is still better. I don't think Samsung optimized both properly on the S9+ pictures in low light were real soft and lacked detail. They are definitely over processing the pictures when compared to my Note 8. I have both and went back to the Note 8 as my Primary Android device until they improve the S9+ with an update.

Yes, if you go to the S9 forum on Android Central, there is a thread with a lot of complaints about the cameras on the S9. Many of the complaints are that the phone is overprocessing and removing the details, such as the hair on a dog or cat, and just blending it all together. Same with people, where it is evening out the skin tone -- which makes for a nice beauty shot but just isn't realistic looking.

Personally, the S9+ battery life was not great for the first week and it has slowly improved over time. It seems to be pretty comparable now to the battery life of my iPhone X -- so about a day of heavy use for me, to 2-3 days of very light use.

strikeIII

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Yes, if you go to the S9 forum on Android Central, there is a thread with a lot of complaints about the cameras on the S9. Many of the complaints are that the phone is overprocessing and removing the details, such as the hair on a dog or cat, and just blending it all together. Same with people, where it is evening out the skin tone -- which makes for a nice beauty shot but just isn't realistic looking.

Personally, the S9+ battery life was not great for the first week and it has slowly improved over time. It seems to be pretty comparable now to the battery life of my iPhone X -- so about a day of heavy use for me, to 2-3 days of very light use.
Yup I'm in that thread as well. Battery life is a moot point for me as no flagship can ever last me a whole day so I'm always charging at least once in the middle of the day or using an external battery.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
I did. I got the S9+ way before that video was made. I love Samsung phones, but I've decided to return the S9+. The phone overall is great, but I didn't care much for the low light images. The camera software blended everything together. For example, I couldn't see the wrinkles in my curtains when I took a low-light image of my living room. I could see all the fine detail in the photos taken with my Pixel 2 XL--the wrinkles in the curtains, the dog hair on the couch (bleh), and all the other fine details one would expect to see in a living room. But those details didn't show up on the S9+'s camera.

Everything else about the device was great. The UI is the most fluid its ever been on a Samsung device. I never had issues with battery after the first couple of days. I was leaving work with about 70% battery power (my X is down to 50% with the same use). I never once had anxiety about the S9+'s battery running low like I do on my X. But I ultimately think the X is the better device. It has a better display, it takes decent pictures, and the software updates are timely. And, this is the most important thing, it has a flat display. Curved displays are a pain to protect.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2