Can leaving your cellular data turned on most of the time ruin an iPhone's battery?

anon(6137873)

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
I recently got an iPhone X and had upgraded my plan to have a higher data allowance. Since I have a higher data plan, I was thinking of basically not turning my cellular data off until I get home to connect to our wifi. I'm just curious if I will be ruining my battery if I do leave my cellular data turned on most of the day, everyday. I've noticed that my sister's battery life on her iPhone 6 that she used for two years already has a weak battery and I'm not sure if it's because she always has her cellular data turned on.

Since I've invested to a pretty expensive phone, I want to be able to use it until my next contract with my provider. I just want to be on the safe side and be able to enjoy my iPhone X for a long time.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
These phones are built to have cellular data turned on exclusively 24/7 so I think you'll be fine. If you have battery performance issues down the line I don't think having cell data turned on all the time will be the culprit.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
It won’t. The difference in battery usage with and without WiFi enabled is 1-2 hours at most. In the long run this won’t do any harm.

An iPhone is a device to be used at your own convenience. Don’t let anybody dictate how you have to use it.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I agree with everyone’s assessment here. No big impacts on your battery. Half the time, I connect to wifi at work and the other half of the time, I forget and I don’t notice a big difference in battery drain between the two.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
No, it won't ruin the battery. It'd be pretty poor if our devices required us to disable the cellular connection just to enjoy our devices.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Since we ditched the home phone a few months ago, we both have our iPhones on 24x7 and we have no issues with battery loss or degradation.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
Ok, this is the thing. Leaving cellular data on in itself shouldn't really have any effect on battery life. It's a cellular phone, so leaving it on is what you're supposed to do. With that said using the phone over cellular instead of wifi when available will deplete the battery faster, especially if you don't have a strong signal.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711