So I took a chance....and got burned (or scratched).

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
So I went without a screen protector for the last month or two. Not because I actually wanted to but rather because my screen protector wasn't applied correctly and it was annoying so I removed it and just neglected to purchase another one.

And I've got a pretty nasty scratch in my phone now. How? I have no idea as I'm generally really careful with my device. My thought is that it happened during a brief moment of having my X share a pocket with my AirPods case. Wasn't more than 15 minutes they were in the same pocket while I was carrying my daughter through the store.

Needless to say, I'm heartbroken. I spoke with Apple and they've agreed to replace the screen for $29 (AppleCare+) but it will use one of my two available claims. I'd rather not do that just yet so I'll live with it for now.

Figured I'd share my experiences. For those without screen protection, the screens aren't as scratch-proof as one may have hoped. Definitely be more careful than I was! Lol. Lesson learned. Screen protectors are definitely for me lol.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
Wow that sucks. At least you tried doing it that way (without a screen protector) and you know that it's not for you, so never again. Hopefully the screen protector will minimize the scratch a bit for you.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to hear it. That's tough because you only get two damage AppleCare+ episodes to use in two years. I've heard/read that the iPhone X (and maybe the eights?) are more prone to screen scratches than past phones for some reason. It wasn't more than two days before I had a protector on mine.

(Sample references: https://gizmodo.com/iphone-x-damage-report-two-months-later-1822644663 and https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/7p9wqc/iphone_x_screen_scratches_easily/ and I believe this was discussed on a few podcast episodes I've listened to.)

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to hear this

Just take the hit and use your AppleCare

I do plan on using my AppleCare but I'm wanting to wait a bit. Accidents happen and I'd hate to use it on this scratch and then something happen down the road. Its not killing me at the moment so I'll be patient, lol.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Anytime I didn’t use screen protectors, I got scratches. Even with being super careful. So I learned not to use my new phones unless I have one installed. I learned the hard way too.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
To each their own. I get micro-scratches on my iPhones. Have for years. They don't bother me. I'd be more bothered by a screen protector.

Snappy Phoenix

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I've learned never to use any phone without a screen protector and case from day one. I order them from Spigen and only when they arrive do I purchase the phone and have a professional install the screen protector for me perfectly. I can't live with a scratched phone.

anon(6137873)

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
I’ve had an iPhone 6s with a nasty scratch (boyfriend puts it in his bag where his keys are ) and putting a screen protector even if there’s a scratch, hides it. I dunno if it’s just me though, but I’ve tried it on a couple of phones and it worked concealing the scratch.

songbird

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
So I went without a screen protector for the last month or two. Not because I actually wanted to but rather because my screen protector wasn't applied correctly and it was annoying so I removed it and just neglected to purchase another one.

And I've got a pretty nasty scratch in my phone now. How? I have no idea as I'm generally really careful with my device. My thought is that it happened during a brief moment of having my X share a pocket with my AirPods case. Wasn't more than 15 minutes they were in the same pocket while I was carrying my daughter through the store.

Needless to say, I'm heartbroken. I spoke with Apple and they've agreed to replace the screen for $29 (AppleCare+) but it will use one of my two available claims. I'd rather not do that just yet so I'll live with it for now.

Figured I'd share my experiences. For those without screen protection, the screens aren't as scratch-proof as one may have hoped. Definitely be more careful than I was! Lol. Lesson learned. Screen protectors are definitely for me lol.

I like the feel of it without a screen protector, but having one does protect the screen from micro scratches or deeper ones that would annoy me. Personally, I would get a screen protector to apply now and save your AppleCare. Depending on the size of the scratch the protector may hide it. If down the road you need to repair the screen then do so, but for now I would try applying a screen protector and see if that covers the scratch. Hope it works out for you!

Truman82

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
No screen protector here. Got scratches yeah and in my Country there is no Apple care.
Had 7 plus before and to me it seems that the X got more easily scathing surface in the glass than the 7 plus had.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
What happens if you put a screen protector over it? I had a scratch on my 5 that disappeared when I put a protector on it. Worth trying one of the cheaper ones (i.e. Spigen)

Helsinky

May 15, 2013
Visit site
The same thing happened to my 8+ (it was so bad I early upgraded to the x) I never use screen protectors and have never really had a prob besides little barley noticeable scratches. I put my air pod case in my pocket for about an hour not thinking the rounded edges would do anything to the phone. Boy was I wrong. Word of advice get a screen protector or never put anything in the pocket with the phone.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
What happens if you put a screen protector over it? I had a scratch on my 5 that disappeared when I put a protector on it. Worth trying one of the cheaper ones (i.e. Spigen)

I'm going to order a screen protector to see what happens. It's definitely noticeable but it's not in an area that is distracting. It's in the top right corner of the screen and goes down about an inch. It's a pretty nice scratch. I was honestly surprised that it scratched so easily as it was only my Airpods case that was in the pocket and it was for maybe 15 minutes. But oh well. I should have known better lol.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
My heart just sank when I read your post. I am so very sorry this happened to you, and appreciate your sharing this, because it serves as a good reminder of the potential consequence of going without one. I respect each person's viewpoint, but for me it's not worth it.

RPA1408

Feb 17, 2018
Visit site
It’s definitely a modern phone problem, I own an iPhone 7 and that’s in relatively good condition despite never using a screen protector. I also own a Note 8 and that has plenty of scratches none of which I can explain, you only have to look at the thing and it scratches. My wife has a smallish scratch on her iPhone 8 despite mothering it.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
I could never use a $1,149 device without a screen protector, not even for a second. Glass scratches. I'm sorry this happened to you. Hopefully your experience will have people thinking differently how they take care of their device.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Drop the phone on the ground then exchange it

That would completely defeat the purpose of me not getting the screen fixed now, lol. Apple will replace my screen if I want for $29 since I have AppleCare+. I don't need to intentionally break the screen. But I'm choosing to hold off and reserve my 2 claims in the case of a true accident. If no accident occurs, I'll get the screen fixed near the end of my AppleCare+ term.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I could never use a $1,149 device without a screen protector, not even for a second. Glass scratches. I'm sorry this happened to you. Hopefully your experience will have people thinking differently how they take care of their device.

I have ALWAYS been in that camp. I've used screen protectors on every device I've used. I recommend them in every thread I've came across on this site regarding them. It was a brief moment of carelessness and neglect that I didn't have one installed and I paid for it lol.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711