So I took a chance....and got burned (or scratched).

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
Yeah many have complained of the same thing. Their X has scratched much more easily than the 7 screen did.

My experience was that the iP7 scratched more easily than the 6S. I had stopped using screen protectors a number of years ago (I think the 4 or 4S was the one I stopped with). Didn't have any scratches until the 7 plus. Nothing changed in behaviors (carried in front pocket, etc.), but I got some noticeable scratches on the 7 plus. At the time I read something somewhere on the interwebs (so it of course must be true :sarcastic: ) that newer versions of Gorilla Glass (4?) were actually softer to help with shatter resistance. Anyway, made sense to me and I've been putting screen protectors on all phones since. Rather just not take the chance.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
My experience was that the iP7 scratched more easily than the 6S. I had stopped using screen protectors a number of years ago (I think the 4 or 4S was the one I stopped with). Didn't have any scratches until the 7 plus. Nothing changed in behaviors (carried in front pocket, etc.), but I got some noticeable scratches on the 7 plus. At the time I read something somewhere on the interwebs (so it of course must be true :sarcastic: ) that newer versions of Gorilla Glass (4?) were actually softer to help with shatter resistance. Anyway, made sense to me and I've been putting screen protectors on all phones since. Rather just not take the chance.

I never used screen protectors until the 6s plus. Never scratched screen before. Then my 6s plus starting having light scratching all over the screen. Had to get that phone swapped for dead pixels and when I got the replacement, I started using one since then. Scratches on the screen drive me nuts. If my screen protector scratches, I can easily replace it with a new one.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I love the theory people have about getting a screen protector because the device is $1200 😃

Do you wrap your car in a glass sheet to protect it? That is way more expensive than $1200 and is subjected to way more LOL

Not saying you should not get one if you feel you need to, but saying I am getting one only because of the cost is silly : )

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I love the theory people have about getting a screen protector because the device is $1200 ??????

Do you wrap your car in a glass sheet to protect it? That is way more expensive than $1200 and is subjected to way more LOL

Not saying you should not get one if you feel you need to, but saying I am getting one only because of the cost is silly : )

If there were a feasible way to protect the paint on my car from random rocks while on the high way or the occasional hail damage, I'd do it in a heartbeat. It's all about protecting the investment. Using a car as an example is a little odd considering the difference between the simple application of a screen protector (and the cheap cost of purchasing one) compared to whatever may be required to do the same thing for an entire vehicle.

That said...I've ordered a replacement screen protector for my phone.

Sidenote: This thread took an interesting turn lol.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
If there were a feasible way to protect the paint on my car from random rocks while on the high way or the occasional hail damage, I'd do it in a heartbeat. It's all about protecting the investment.

Buying items that depreciate over time shouldn't be an "investment" for anyone. But keep spending that money, lol

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I'll make sure not to hire you as my economic adviser.

This is fine as long as you promise to never undertake the teaching of vocabulary. :cool:

in·vest·ment
inˈves(t)mənt/Submit
noun
noun: investment; plural noun: investments
the action or process of investing money for profit or material result.
"a debate over private investment in road-building"
synonyms: investing, speculation; More

a thing that is worth buying because it may be profitable or useful in the future.
"a used car is rarely a good investment"
synonyms: venture, speculation, risk, gamble; More

an act of devoting time, effort, or energy to a particular undertaking with the expectation of a worthwhile result.
"the time spent in attending a one-day seminar is an investment in our professional futures"
synonyms: contribution, surrender, loss, forfeiture, sacrifice
"a substantial investment of time"

The original iPhone is currently selling for almost $4000 in it's original packaging on eBay. A classic car such as the 1966 Ford Mustang GT sells for around $50,000.

"Investments" take many forms and also can be interpreted outside of financial terms.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
The original iPhone is currently selling for almost $4000 in it's original packaging on eBay.
What good is an iPhone X that you open the package and slap a screen protector on in another 11 years compared to an original iPhone in original packaging? Even if you hadn't scratched your phone you wouldn't get equal or more value than what you paid for it if you tried to sell it on this day.

A classic car such as the 1966 Ford Mustang GT sells for around $50,000.
What you currently drive is going to qualify under this extremely rare circumstance?

What good are your examples when you're going with the "material result" defense? Either it's that or you think these materials will appreciate in value one day.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods