I've attended some work events with some very well-off people in recent weeks and seen a good amount of my friends. Almost all are iPhone users
    more: iris garden
    1) None of my close friends own an iPhone X
    2) At these work events, less than 10% of customers have an iPhone X

Many of these people would have bought the latest iPhone very quickly a few years ago. One of my best friends (a millionaire in his 30s) is still rocking a 6S.
    more: lien ke athena fulland kim giang
    The iPhone X is an excellent product (I'm actually considering buying a 256G version to replace my 8+); however, fewer "normal" customers are interested in it than prior phones. I don't think that is controversial at all, and all of the survey data supports this.
    more: chung cư 17 phạm hùng
    How can Apple fix that this year?
    Last edited by doomsmith; 03-29-2018 at 06:17 AM.
    xanadome and BBGary like this.
    03-23-2018 05:13 AM
    As nice as the iPhone X is a lot of people are meh about it. It's a radical change and it may take some time for some to accept the changes the X presents. As far as how Apple can address folks' hesitation? Not sure. Perhaps make iOS better by offering more flexibility.
    03-23-2018 05:25 AM
    I’ve seen mixed results. I have some family members that usually get the latest iPhone but I’m actually the only one with an iPhone X. That said, I have several colleagues at work with iPhone Xs and I usually see multiple clients a day with iPhone Xs.
    I think this is more than just a problem with iPhone X though. I can’t vouch for how many have iPhone 8s or 7s but nothing has ever sold as well as the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus. The same goes for the latest Samsung phones. I know a few (not a ton) of Android users. None of them are racing out to buy a Galaxy S9.
    iPhone sales have never concerned me much though. Apple is still making a ton of money so iPhone isn’t going anywhere in the foreseeable future. I love my iPhone X regardless of how many have sold.
    03-23-2018 05:29 AM
    I bought an iPhone X fairly early on and all of my iPhone using family had the opportunity to spend time with it to “get used” to the new design. While some didn’t mind or even liked some of the changes, not one of them thought it was worth $1000. That is the statement I hear over and over again from dedicated iPhone users. They don’t like the notch, don’t want to lose Touch ID and realize that the X has a smaller viewing area than the Plus models. For most people the value just isn’t there with the iPhone X. People on this forum may feel differently, and that’s ok, but it’s not the way the average consumer views this phone based on my experience at least.
    03-23-2018 05:35 AM
    I have seen a few iPhone X models in the wild, but as others have said, not as many as I would normally see for a new model. I think the high price tag and and the departure of the home button has a lot to do with the lackluster sales.

But, Apple is still making boatloads of cash and the iPhone X is not going anywhere anytime soon.

For myself and everyone I know who owns the X, we all love the device and I having used it as my daily driver since the official launch day, I am not going back to the home button.

I love the iPhone X and I still get folks who when they see me using it, they ask how I like it and want to hold it in their hand and play with the device. I am all in on the X and the gesture concept and I feel gestures are the future of navigation for the industry and I am excited about it.
    Seneca09 likes this.
    03-23-2018 05:39 AM
    I went from an iPhone 8 Plus to iPhone X and won’t ever go back! The 8 Plus was just too big for my hand and was causing thumb pain. I absolutely love the X! I love that it’s radically different from all other iPhones. I love the facial recognition, the gestures, and most of all, the screen size. I’m 65 but moving from the Plus to the X was no problem (I’m also tech savvy so my hubby is thankful for that). Just my thoughts on this wonderful phone).
    Seneca09, rsgoldens and Dukins like this.
    03-23-2018 05:39 AM
    I bought an iPhone X fairly early on and all of my iPhone using family had the opportunity to spend time with it to “get used” to the new design. While some didn’t mind or even liked some of the changes, not one of them thought it was worth $1000. That is the statement I hear over and over again from dedicated iPhone users. They don’t like the notch, don’t want to lose Touch ID and realize that the X has a smaller viewing area than the Plus models. For most people the value just isn’t there with the iPhone X. People on this forum may feel differently, and that’s ok, but it’s not the way the average consumer views this phone based on my experience at least.
    Bingo. It’s a tougher sell than what we’ve seen in prior years. If Apple can bring down the price point this year I think it will help push many users off the fence. If they release a “Plus” size version of the iPhone X as rumored I can’t imagine they’ll charge any more than they’re currently asking for the iPhone X (at least I hope not; even price insensitive iPhone users like myself have a limit).
    bakron1, ladyc0524, cwbcpa and 1 others like this.
    03-23-2018 05:44 AM
    I have head many folks say if they would have made the 64 gig model $749.00 and the 256 model $849.00, they would have sold like hotcakes.
    Annie_8plus and Lee_Bo like this.
    03-23-2018 05:49 AM
    One of my best friends (a millionaire in his 30s) is still rocking a 6S.
    He's doing what to an iPhone 6S? Is he very lonely?
    03-23-2018 06:05 AM
    I think people are just not so interested in smart phones these days. We all have them and we all use them, but they are now routine objects, like a spoon or a cotton bud. The market for very expensive models is limited.

You can buy a good smart phone for $150. Given that, how many people are really going to be interested in a phone that costs $1000+? This is not just about Apple, of course, but affects all manufacturers of expensive phones.
    cwbcpa and xanadome like this.
    03-23-2018 06:14 AM
    Here in RI I’m starting to see quite a few Xes but it could be that I look for them in the wild since I bought one
    Annie_8plus and MasterDarque like this.
    03-23-2018 09:58 AM
    I too have been seeing more x's out in the wild. I don't regret not getting one, and am happy with my 8+. I do agree that if the price point had been a bit lower, as @bakron1 suggested, that they would have sold like hotcakes. It will be interesting to see how Apple proceeds with their next batch!
    kataran likes this.
    03-23-2018 10:36 AM
    Your millionaire friend is just cheap. I've had Lyft drivers using iPhone X. While it's true that I haven't seen as much iPhone Xs in the wild as other iPhone models, I don't think it's not successful based on a few data points.
    MasterDarque and trw1602 like this.
    03-23-2018 12:05 PM
    I don't think they are worth the price either, but my wife and I both have them now. I am tech/phone obsessed like many others here, so I knew how to find them for much cheaper (and was patient enough to find a good deal, both her 64GB and my 256GB cost less than the price of a 64GB from Apple), but the general public isn't willing to do that, or just doesn't care enough. Our friends and family comment on them and ask about them, most of them have 7 or 7 plus, but no one sees them as a necessity.

I think the difference is years ago a lot of people were still getting their first smartphones. So when something new came out, like the 6 or 6 plus, a lot of people jumped from their "dumbphone" to a smartphone. It would be interesting to see how many of those people are still using their first smart/iPhones (or only updated due to phone damage/failure). I suspect that now that everyone has a phone that works and gets them the apps they want or need, most see no reason to upgrade.
    Jbrown99 and xanadome like this.
    03-23-2018 12:09 PM
    Your millionaire friend is just cheap.
    Most millionaires are pretty cheap.
    03-23-2018 02:55 PM
    The iPhone X isn't all that successful according to whom? Isn't it Apple who decides that? Isn't it possible that Apple expected that the X wouldn't sell as many units as, say, the 6s/6s+ or 7/7+ in the last few years, in part because of the price, in part because of the "competition" from the 8/8+, and that sales so far are meeting their expectations (even if others expected more)?

We're about a month or so from the next quarterly earnings call, so I suspect that many of these questions will be answered then.
    03-23-2018 03:05 PM
    People here base everything on rumors. Not facts. You guys all remember the rumor that the X was being cancelled? My point exactly.
    iLive an iLife likes this.
    03-23-2018 03:54 PM
    The iPhone X isn't all that successful according to whom? Isn't it Apple who decides that?
    It sure is. If sales didn't meet expectations or fell off that badly I'm sure Apple would disclose it.

That said, the OP is basing the success of the iPhone X off their own specific findings through daily interaction. If we go by that I can say that I have seen a lot less iPhone X's than I anticipated since launch during my daily routine which has surprised me. Especially given the fact that it was readily available leading up to christmas in all variants.
    Rob Phillips likes this.
    03-23-2018 05:03 PM
    Your millionaire friend is just cheap. I've had Lyft drivers using iPhone X. While it's true that I haven't seen as much iPhone Xs in the wild as other iPhone models, I don't think it's not successful based on a few data points.
    I would not call him out for being cheap ,he is most likely Smart ,his 6s most likely does what he wants it to although Apple would not like that .
    03-23-2018 05:25 PM
    I've attended some work events with some very well-off people in recent weeks and seen a good amount of my friends. Almost all are iPhone users

You stated you've "seen a good amount of my friends. Almost all are iPhone users" and then you stated that none of your "close friends" own an iPhone X. Since you separated "my friends" from "close friends", how many of your overall friends own an iPhone X, if any?
    I think it varies, depending on where you are. For instance, at my office, three people currently have the iPhone X and a fourth person will be getting one next week. Just being out and about here in Orlando, I've seen a few that were easily recognizable because they were clearly visible, but since I don't go around staring at people's phones, I can't say how many I may or may not have seen.

Many of these people would have bought the latest iPhone very quickly a few years ago. One of my best friends (a millionaire in his 30s) is still rocking a 6S.
    I expected Apple to sell a lot of iPhone X models, and they did. At the same time, I expected the price alone to curb some of the sales. Heck, I even went out and purchased an iPhone 8 because I didn't want to fork over a grand for the iPhone X. Of course, I eventually did.....

The iPhone X is an excellent product (I'm actually considering buying a 256G version to replace my 8+); however, fewer "normal" customers are interested in it than prior phones. I don't think that is controversial at all, and all of the survey data supports this.

A lot of people do not want to pay over a grand for a smartphone. In addition, being that the iPhone 8/8 Plus has basically the same innards and sold for hundreds less, many people opted for one of them instead. The question I have is this: If Apple had only introduced the iPhone X this past fall, how much more of them would they have sold?
    03-23-2018 05:25 PM
    Based on what metric? That you haven't personally seen them in a while? That's a flawed analysis. You can't assume a product "isn't successful" based on one person's observation. You need more data points and Apple has claimed otherwise.
    03-23-2018 05:33 PM

So 8 pages on MR forum didn't give you your answers

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...ssful.2110960/
    Last edited by Cladster; 03-23-2018 at 06:07 PM.
    03-23-2018 05:54 PM
    So 8 pages on MR forum didn't give you your answers

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...ssful.2110960/
    Great find.
    03-23-2018 06:21 PM
    (a millionaire in his 30s) is still rocking a 6S.
    This is the only I want to touch on. Millionaires don’t become and stay millionaires by spending money unnecessarily. They will generally hold on to things until they no longer work.
    03-23-2018 07:19 PM
    Out of most of my friends who I know upgrade yearly. Some of them have the X some opted for the 8plus. The ones who didn’t do anything or opted for the 8plus wasn’t because of the X costing $1000+ it was the size and or Face ID pushing them away.
    xanadome likes this.
    03-23-2018 08:46 PM
83 123 ...