Sold both my iPhone Xs

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
I haven't sold my iPhone X yet, for whatever reason I can't part ways as of right now, but I've decided to go back to Android and got the pixel 2 XL. I got one back in November and couldn't stand the blue shift, but I loved the phones software and the build quality. I think the industrial/unique look of the pixel never gets old...nothing quite looks like it.

I finally don't feel locked into that iOS ecosystem that I always am afraid to let go of due to all family and friends using it, and I'm enjoying what I want to use. The cohesiveness of iOS is great, but there is a ton of room for improvement. The notifications are atrocious and I actually had to Google how to power down my X. Did you know it takes 4 steps to shut off an iPhone X? Volume up, volume down, lock button, slide to power off. But wait, I though the iPhone "just works" and is so easy to use? I'm playing devil's advocate here but some things really bother me with iOS and until it becomes more polished, I think I'm sticking to my Pixel 2 XL

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
I sold mine to another Mobile Nation's member and I kinda regret it. Oh well. The S9+ is my consolation prize.
I had it for 2 days and went to go prep it for sale and slept on it...glad I did, cancelled my listing. I would love to sell my X but I for whatever reason can't let it go, I know I'll regret it down the road if iOS 12 really is what they claim it will be.

I personally told myself after I owned the S7 edge that I'd never ever buy a Samsung again and I have stood behind it. Their phones are nice but that's about it for me.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
I had it for 2 days and went to go prep it for sale and slept on it...glad I did, cancelled my listing. I would love to sell my X but I for whatever reason can't let it go, I know I'll regret it down the road if iOS 12 really is what they claim it will be.

I personally told myself after I owned the S7 edge that I'd never ever buy a Samsung again and I have stood behind it. Their phones are nice but that's about it for me.

I'm holding onto my X just because I have an AppleTV 4K and I do plan on getting the Apple Watch Series 3 sometime soon.

But my daily driver is my S9+ right now.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
I'm holding onto my X just because I have an AppleTV 4K and I do plan on getting the Apple Watch Series 3 sometime soon.

But my daily driver is my S9+ right now.
Am I the only one who hates the Apple watch? I was actually using an Android Wear watch with my iPhone and loved it. Now I can actually reply to texts with it since it's connected to my pixel

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I'm doing the opposite. I've had the S9+ for a few days now and I'll be returning it and keeping my X. The S9+ wasn't much different from the S8+ and the Note 8. Using the Samsung device made me realize how much better the X is when compared to Samsung Experience. Plus, I value timely software updates.
That is exactly why it's great that we have all the choices we do. I am LOVING the Samsung experience now whereas I had to try to convince myself to love my Xes. Variety is the spice of life.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Re: Sold both my iPhone Xes

The saturation looks cartoony to me. I don't like it. And pixels per inch doesn't necessarily make the display better. My iPhone X's screen looks sharper than the display on the S9+. I don't know what Apple did to the X's display, but it just looks better to my eyes.
What I love about the Samsung displays is that they're variable. I can change them to that razor sharp resolution or soften it up (which is actually rather nice). You can change the color balance, the white balance...basically you can tune it to your individual tastes at the moment and switch it up when your tastes change. Right now, I'm loving the flexibility that the S9+ and Note 8 offer but I still respect the refinement of iOS on the X.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Did you know it takes 4 steps to shut off an iPhone X? Volume up, volume down, lock button, slide to power off.
Well, that’s just not true. Hold the sleep/wake and either of the power buttons at the same time (since they’re opposite each other, it’s merely a squeeze of the buttons) until the shut down slider shows up, slide to power off.

What you describe is the force restart sequence.

[edit] And that’s not even right. Force restart is press vol up, press vol down, hold sleep/wake until the phone restarts. There is no slider in that sequence.

Last edited:

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
Well, that’s just not true. Hold the sleep/wake and either of the power buttons (since they’re opposite each other, it’s merely a squeeze of the buttons) until the shut down slider shows up, slide to power off.

What you describe is the force restart sequence.
The force restart you need to hold down the lock button, this was just a press. You mean either of the volume buttons?

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
Am I the only one who hates the Apple watch? I was actually using an Android Wear watch with my iPhone and loved it. Now I can actually reply to texts with it since it's connected to my pixel

Apple watch is better than any Android watch...right now. If Google can come up with a great smartwatch, I'd stay on Android all the time. But right now, Apple makes the best smartwatches, IMO. I didn't care for any of Samsung's offerings (Gear S3, etc.)

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I actually decided to keep the S9+, although I exchanged the black one for a blue one. I'm heading to Rocky Mountain National Park in a couple of weeks and I want the amazing cameras to record my trip!

I went to RMNP a couple of years ago, drove across Trail Ridge road. It is a beautiful place. I haven't played with the S9+ cameras, though from samples I'm not convinced it is really better than the iPhone X camera. My issue with S9 samples is how heavily the process the pictures, many seem over-processed. Perhaps you could do a comparison between the iPhone and the S9+? Hope you have a great trip.

And though it might be a bit whiter now:
IMG_0121.jpg
IMG_0120.jpg
IMG_0122.jpg

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
I haven't played with the S9+ cameras, though from samples I'm not convinced it is really better than the iPhone X camera.

You can really notice it in low light shots. In many low light situations, the iPhone X can’t even catch up to the S9+. Many photos I’ve taken on the X were just too dark and noisy when compared to the Samsung.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
Samsung does make some nice cameras! I'd say my S8+ took nicer photos in most situations. My S8+ started dropping frames and slowing down though, and I wasn't gonna have a phone that I have to do a clean wipe on every 6 months. Honestly my Apple Watch keeps me on iOS more than my iPhone. That and the integration with my Apple TV and MBP.

I also loved Samsung's UI in the beginning. It felt really modern in a way that iOS and the Pixel's UI didn't. Over time though it started looking kinda cheap.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
Over time though it started looking kinda cheap.

I can attest to this as well. And it looks pretty cartoony.

But now the new Samsungs, at least the S9+, has 6GB of RAM which helps a lot with stuttering and RAM management.

But overall, Apple does everything better. I'm on my iPhone X today and I think the display on that looks so much better than the S9+'s display, DisplayMate be damned.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com

The weird thing about that is when I got my iPhone X I still liked the UI. Didn't really give it another thought until the Note 8 was released. I was watching reviews and thought how bad it looked to me now. Maybe I just got used to iOS again. Or tired of Android, I don't really know. TBF to Samsung though, the S8+ was the longest I'd ever stuck to Android as a daily driver.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
May 31, 2014
Visit site

But now the new Samsungs, at least the S9+, has 6GB of RAM which helps a lot with stuttering and RAM management.

But overall, Apple does everything better. I'm on my iPhone X today and I think the display on that looks so much better than the S9+'s display, DisplayMate be damned.
Not really. Things do slow down to the extent one can notice in the iPhone X for sure, especially the animations which makes loading and switching apps slower.

While S9+ is new, the Note 8 is still the king and have had no issues with memory management or device getting slower/stutters etc., Sometimes I feel Note 8 is faster than iPhone X.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
Not really. Things do slow down to the extent one can notice in the iPhone X for sure, especially the animations which makes loading and switching apps slower.

While S9+ is new, the Note 8 is still the king and have had no issues with memory management or device getting slower/stutters etc., Sometimes I feel Note 8 is faster than iPhone X.

I'm surprised.

I used my iPhone X and S9+ side-by-side for comparison's sake and the S9+, even though it's more fluid than any other Samsung phone I've used before, including the Note 8, it still couldn't do as well as iOS. It experienced some drop in frame rates.

But everyone's mileage will vary, of course.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site

I'm back on my iphone X today too! Ugh just can't leave it

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

I can second that opinion. I have a Note 8 and used an iPhone X and 8 Plus. I’ve split time pretty evenly with all of them since October (November for the X) and the Note has not slowed down at all. Neither have the iPhones of course so I’m not saying the iPhones are slow by any means. They are smooth as can be but so is the Note and I feel like it’s faster as well but that’s really splitting hairs as they are all super quick.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods